• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki is Agitated Over the Latest Ghibli Movie Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
reidwyr wrote:
I think some people here are missing the point.

I think he is probably angry at the fact that this poster is nothing more than just the character standing there.

This poster doesn't say much about the movie besides "hey the main character is this blonde girl here, come watch the movie".

That is cliche and outdated, he probably wanted something more creative that said more about the movie.

I was thinking the same thing. If we were really interested in science-ing this out (instead of leaping to conclusions), we could try comparing this poster with posters for Miyazaki's own movies. What does each convey about their respective films?

But who has time for that?
RetroPlasmic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
Everyone's favorite grump is at it again....

Why do I get the feeling this whole thing exaggerates and takes out of context why he really feels the way he does about the poster and everyone will resort to strawman arguments?

RetroPlasmic wrote:
Wow. I never thought I would say this, but Miyazaki is an asshole. Mad A racist one at that.

Like this one for instance?

Look at the crap he's been saying recently. So you think that he... I get what you're saying, because he's a great director, but I think he needs to relax a bit. I didn't mean any harm with my last comment. I was drunk. Embarassed
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Also keep in mind: Miyazaki is a self-proclaimed feminist. Nothing wrong with that, but it does help explain his way of thinking. He might find it slightly sexist to feature a cute blonde girl to capture audience's attention. Can't say I agree with him though since I don't find anything sexually attractive about the picture at all. It's interesting, and the girl is cute, but there's no way I'd go see the movie just because of a cute blonde girl. If anything, he's giving the film and poster more attention...

Miyazaki is retired as a director, but I guess it's possible he might still have some presence behind the scenes, and maybe pen some more scripts.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I see articles about Miyazaki being displeased with something or another, this always springs to mind

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Miyazaki on this one. That blonde chick should've been piloting a mecha or wielding a huge broadsword. THAT would have been a poster.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

LOL. That image never gets old and never gets irrelevant.

Old people. Can't live with them, can't live without them (unless you can afford to stick them in a home, heh heh).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with Miyazaki on this one. That blonde chick should've been piloting a mecha or wielding a huge broadsword. THAT would have been a poster.

Hahaha!!! Now that is too funny. I think folks need to really look into what he may very well be saying instead of calling out "racist". So what, he has a right to his opinion and it doesn't necessarily mean it's true. But again him having his mindset, we've been hearing it for years. He has his own view about things and it's not like folks haven't heard this from other creators as well. Hell, even Murakami has said things about the current cultural scene in Japan. So Miyazaki is no different. Personally, I can't really see what the problem is what the poster, but hey maybe they should try something different. But it seems he's not really retired. Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
RetroPlasmic wrote:
Wow. I never thought I would say this, but Miyazaki is an asshole. Mad A racist one at that.

Haha, touche
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
reidwyr wrote:
I think some people here are missing the point.

I think he is probably angry at the fact that this poster is nothing more than just the character standing there.

This poster doesn't say much about the movie besides "hey the main character is this blonde girl here, come watch the movie".

That is cliche and outdated, he probably wanted something more creative that said more about the movie.

I was thinking the same thing. If we were really interested in science-ing this out (instead of leaping to conclusions), we could try comparing this poster with posters for Miyazaki's own movies. What does each convey about their respective films?

But who has time for that?

I'm not gonna guess his intensions—we could be missing a larger context, he could be a grumpy old man—but these posts do remind me of something he said a while ago. I don't recall where I read this, but it was in regards to drawing material and covers for the Nausicaä manga. He said that he hated drawing characters in poses that clash with their personalities. Seeing Nausicaä in action or lost in thought is preferable for him, whereas having to draw her as if she's a happy model showing off in front of the camera is aggravating (my words, not his).

Dunno if that has any relation to this situation, but he's obviously very particular about promotional material.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

I'm not gonna guess his intensions—we could be missing a larger context, he could be a grumpy old man—but these posts do remind me of something he said a while ago. I don't recall where I read this, but it was in regards to drawing material and covers for the Nausicaä manga. He said that he hated drawing characters in poses that clash with their personalities. Seeing Nausicaä in action or lost in thought is preferable for him, whereas having to draw her as if she's a happy model showing off in front of the camera is aggravating (my words, not his).

Dunno if that has any relation to this situation, but he's obviously very particular about promotional material.

That's a pretty good analogy of it. Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

First thing that comes to mind is Conan. I miss those iconic painted movie posters.

On the real issue, it's just such an innocuous and irrelevant thing to get upset over or even have any kind of strong opinion over. So, draw another poster that fits your likings! A movie can have more than one promotional image that goes up outside a theater, sometimes even exhibiting entirely different tones and emotions.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
How irrelevant. I really hate this preachy grump! I'll listen to you when you make something BETTER than Fullmetal Alchemist (both original and Brotherhood), Death Note, Darker Than Black and Cowboy Bebop.

EDIT: I don't care if they are mainstream anime, they are still better than the preachy cutesy crap this guy mostly puts out.

Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
At least she's not wearing high heels...
Cool
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Then he tore the poster down and left the studio to go teach children how to use knives and start fires. Hideaki Anno joined him. Yoshiyuki Tomino, who for some reason was at Ghibli, even though he generally works at Sunrise, stayed behind to lecture everyone abut how much video games suck.

My dream! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5