• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Blade & Soul Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why everyone's hating on Blade & Soul so much. I think it's a pretty entertaining show and that's really all I need from anime.

I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]Oh lighten up. Besides, they been doin shit on what to dub for the case of popularity. So it could probably get sub release, just for your ears to be spared[/quote] Hell i don't care if they dub it i'm not one of those sub lovers but i'm not a big Sentai dub fan all i was saying is if a show has a good story and such id rather wait since Funi seems to take and give more time for there shows to be dub then Sentai seems to.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a decent show at best I think. Suffers from some really painful censorship.

For all it's blandness however, I still find myself watching it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
If the main character wasn't so bland I would probably enjoy this one more. Sadly I don't see that changing anytime soon.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
If memory serves correctly, the following anime are still up for grabs:

1.) Atelier Escha & Logy - Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
2.) Baby Steps
3.) Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun
4.) Gokukoku no Brynhildr
5.) Hitsugi no Chaika
6.) Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
7.) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
8.) Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns
9.) Knights of Sidonia
10.) La Corda D'Oro – Blue Sky
11.) M3 - Sono Kuroki Hagane
12.) Mahou Shoujo Taisen
13.) Majin Bone
14.) Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro
15.) Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii

I could be missing some, but these are the main ones anyway. I included the shorts just for the sake of a complete list. If I must pick the three I want licensed the MOST from this list, it'd be numbers 4, 5, and 15 - 1, 2, 9, and 11 as well if they choose to license more.
PCDOS

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is streaming Knights of Sidonia in the summer, so it is technically licensed. Don't know if another company could put it out on home media though.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
PCDOS wrote:
Netflix is streaming Knights of Sidonia in the summer, so it is technically licensed. Don't know if another company could put it out on home media though.

Unless they're planning on their first physical release ever, it "technically" is still unlicensed for physical release.
For the moment, Netflix would technically be in the CR classification (minus CR's release of 5cm per second), i.e. a streaming only service.
Which leaves the physical release license still up in the air.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Good new for me, since I'm enjoying the show so far.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Oh my god sentai of all the shows really Blade and Soul?

There are other great series airing right now u haven't licensed yet Brynhildr in the darkness and Chaika the Coffin Princess.

Why Sentai Why?
Lets save the good shows like Coffin Princess for funi lol it get a better dub that way let Sentai grab the crap

Someone has to keep Funi honest and, honestly, Sentai is our best hope for that. Ever since Funi became the "lone anime superpower" they've been slacking off. "Once you're at the top, the only way to go is down".

This show was just so "meh" that I too am mystified as to why Sentai picked this one up. Not only are there better shows from this season to pick up but there are better shows from prior seasons to grab.

On the plus side, despite "going last" in the anime draft, Sentai has managed to snag some of the most lauded titles of this season. Funimation has a whopping 0 of them, though that might be a bit bogus as the hype for Funi shows seems to be lower, likely due to their shows often being a PITA to stream.
I agree iv never said damn you Sentai for grabbing shows the anime world needs Sentai for sure but i still feel Sentai's dubs are meh

I will be honest I don't watch dubs outside of Ghibli works, but Funimation imo is nothing special. Honestly the best dubs to me were all Bandai/Genon/Pioneer/Viz with works like Gundam, Tenchi, and Ranma. I mean FMA was pretty good, but nothing spectacular of late for either.

Question, was Date Alive II licensed with season 1?
Outcaster00

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

There are other great series airing right now u haven't licensed yet Brynhildr in the darkness and Chaika the Coffin Princess.

Why Sentai Why?
Lets save the good shows like Coffin Princess for funi lol it get a better dub that way let Sentai grab the crap

Someone has to keep Funi honest and, honestly, Sentai is our best hope for that. Ever since Funi became the "lone anime superpower" they've been slacking off. "Once you're at the top, the only way to go is down".

This show was just so "meh" that I too am mystified as to why Sentai picked this one up. Not only are there better shows from this season to pick up but there are better shows from prior seasons to grab.

On the plus side, despite "going last" in the anime draft, Sentai has managed to snag some of the most lauded titles of this season. Funimation has a whopping 0 of them, though that might be a bit bogus as the hype for Funi shows seems to be lower, likely due to their shows often being a PITA to stream.
I agree iv never said damn you Sentai for grabbing shows the anime world needs Sentai for sure but i still feel Sentai's dubs are meh

I will be honest I don't watch dubs outside of Ghibli works, but Funimation imo is nothing special. Honestly the best dubs to me were all Bandai/Genon/Pioneer/Viz with works like Gundam, Tenchi, and Ranma. I mean FMA was pretty good, but nothing spectacular of late for either.

Question, was Date Alive II licensed with season 1?

Yes funi has both seasons
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Blade & Soul, and it did not seem bad. Besides, you can never go wrong with hot women fighting on skimpy outfits.

If I am counting correctly, this will be the 18th show from 2014 that Sentai has picked up. I thought they were cutting on their licenses acquisitions, but I see nothing wrong with picking up lots of shows, as long as their business model keeps working.

If Sentai has 3 more license announcements left, I hope they pick up more shows from 2013. I hope they pick up Gingitsune; I liked it a lot and think it was an under appreciated but Very good show. Galilei Donna was Good too.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Love this show. Great characters with sexy design and mature story. Hopefully there is blu ray release.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Initially, my interest for this show wasn't all that great, but after having a second look at the character designs, I may give Blade & Soul a whirl. Here's hoping it'll be a good one.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Why Sentai Why?

So your experience with non-Ghibli dubs consists of what was shown on TV back in "the day"? Gotta broaden those horizons.

Which reminds me, while Sentai's truly great dubs can be counted on one hand (maybe 2, depends on if you've got extra digits) they still have potential so I hold out hope. ADV once challenged Funimation. Bang/Zoom has, and maybe this is a good thing, remained constant over the years. They've always lived in Funi's shadow and don't license their own stuff so...
The Coffee God wrote:

Unless they're planning on their first physical release ever, it "technically" is still unlicensed for physical release.

? Netflix has already released its own properties on physical media??
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
I watched like one ep of the show and I thought it was ok. I guess KLK pretty much spoiled me. But I guess I'll get back into watching it at some point. Lots of killer ladies, bad guys, and cute anthro folk trying to sell you stuff. I laughed. Laughing Laughing Laughing But hey what can anyone expect from a series that's loosely based on a game of the same title. The only thing this exposure will do is get folks interested in the game and have artist produce fanart and doujins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2