• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Teens Share Their Reactions to Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yup, it's the same thing every time. Sub purists will spew the same horse crap of the Japanese version being infinitely better no matter what even when it's horrible like Nozowa's Goku or Romi Park's Edward Elric.

Nozowa sounds like she smoked an entire Marlboro factory.
Park sounds like a girl putting on a man's voice for the sake of making some guy she's talking about sound really obnoxious.

What's next, people saying Brad Swaile as Quatre Rebarba Winner is bad while Ai Orikasa is perfect?

grooven wrote:

Thanks for the laugh of the day bro Laughing

I'm sure not wanting to suck Toriyama's d*** must be funny to tards since it's practically unheard of.

Last edited by TopGunman on Mon May 19, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific, may it's just distracting for certain people to watch a show and read at the same time.

penguintruth, every languages having good/bad dubs is a fact but when that is an opinion.

Raebo101, my statement of Japanese-approved cast list was meant to be more of a general statement and not targeted specifically at the AoT cast list.

Also, 1 might argue that just because a creator approved a certain voice, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision (how a character's personality is on paper can change when they are put into a show).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Yup, it's the same thing every time. Sub purists will spew the same horse crap of the Japanese version being infinitely better no matter what even when it's horrible

The Japanese version of an anime isn't always better. I've never said anything remotely resembling the sentiment that it is always better.

But in the cases I mentioned, the Japanese versions are absolutely better. The Japanese VAs have a better feel for the characters, bring out their personalities in a more believable manner with their superior acting skills.

Don't ascribe a character trait to me, the assumption I automatically label the Japanese version as better, without any actual evidence to that. In these specific instances, yes, I believe the Japanese versions absolutely blow away the English versions, but it isn't necessarily always the case. Nor should I have to give examples of the opposite, as it should just be assumed I am innocent of the charge until evidence to the contrary is provided.

The author's own personal choosing of a particular VA to play a role serves as a pretty high authority. Maybe not absolute authority, but probably the strongest single authority in the matter. If Toriyama says Nozawa is Goku, I'm liable to believe him about it a bit more than some random person on the internet.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
can't speak for anyone else, but I can read just fine, I'm watching 30 shows this season. But, sometimes I just don't want to read, so I watch a show in English, assuming it has a dub.

Yeah I didn't phrase my question very well, it sounds like i'm asking why every single American fail to read subtitles, which definitely isn't the case. But judging from personal experiences, as well as years of observation, a lot of people from the US seemingly have a hard time reading subtitles. Hence my curiosity~

@Kadmos1, so the general consensus of the Japanese otaku crowd is that the NA dub is good? I'm genuinely interested in a source on that :O.

@TopGunman, if you do not recognize Romi Park's performance as Edward Elric as even just a decent one I do not think you're fit to judge voice actors. And now that people are disagreeing with you, you call them sub purists. If you're going to initiate a conversation you shouldn't get hyperdefensive as soon as someone disagrees with you.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
That one kid who spoke the truth about Frozen and the Lego movie. He is my new hero.

That one line packed more truth than air is packed in an over-inflated balloon.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Unless you're a child or suffer from a problem like an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (edit : or any other medical reason), there really is no excuse to not be able to follow a show subbed. I'm not saying you can't prefer them dubbed, to each their own after all, but it is a sad state of affairs if we have arrived to the point where teenagers don't even have the attention span to read a few lines during 25 minutes.

Last edited by Kutsu on Mon May 19, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Yup, it's the same thing every time. Sub purists will spew the same horse crap of the Japanese version being infinitely better no matter what even when it's horrible

The Japanese version of an anime isn't always better. I've never said anything remotely resembling the sentiment that it is always better.

But in the cases I mentioned, the Japanese version is absolutely better. The Japanese VAs have a better feel for the characters, bring out their personalities in a more believable manner with their superior acting skills.

Don't ascribe a character trait to me, the assumption I automatically label the Japanese version as better, without any actual evidence to that. In these specific instances, yes, I believe the Japanese versions absolutely blow away the English versions, but it isn't necessarily always the case. Nor should I have to give examples of the opposite, as it should just be assumed I am innocent of the charge until evidence to the contrary is provided.

The author's own personal choosing of a particular VA to play a role serves as a pretty high authority. Maybe not absolute authority, but probably the strongest single authority in the matter. If Toriyama says Nozawa is Goku, I'm liable to believe him about it a bit more than some random person on the internet.

Of course, the same old "Toriyama said this, Toriyama wanted that, I don't have an opinion, I'll just blindly follow the original creator and I refuse to question his decisions and the opinions of those who do are simpletons"-attitude
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
He created the f***ing character. I think his opinion is pretty important.

I'm not basing my own personal opinion on it, there are dozens of reasons Nozawa's Goku outclasses the rest, but Toriyama's own choosing of her is kind of a big feather in the cap for that opinion.

If you can't see the difference between that and "blindly obeying the author", I have nothing more to say to you. Which I actually hope is the case, because you are head-splittingly annoying to converse with.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The problem with terms like "better" is that it's always subjective. For me, I just prefer to watch shows or experience media in their native language. Yes, I admit that I know both languages, but even before I started learning Japanese, I didn't mind "reading" shows to experience the original.

To me, watching a dubbed anime is like watching American cartoons or Hollywood movies dubbed in Japanese or a Korean drama dubbed in Chinese. It's just so bizarre when you can just experience the original.

While I myself prefer subs, rather vehemently I might add, I won't begrudge anyone's opinion and preference to go with dubs (unless of course the dub censors or re-writes the show completely ala Cardcaptors).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Unless you're a child or suffer from a problem like an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, there really is no excuse to not be able to follow a show subbed. I'm not saying you can't prefer them dubbed, to each their own after all, but it is a sad state of affairs if we have arrived to the point where teenagers don't even have the attention span to read a few lines during 25 minutes.

I guess visually impaired/blind and dyslexic people don't exist in your world. Rolling Eyes
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
The problem with terms like "better" is that it's always subjective.

HIGHFIVE! SOMEONE get's it! Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
For me, it largely depends on what I hear first, dub or sub. I heard English Kenshin, Goku, and Edward Elric first, so their Japanese counterparts sound wrong. Add to the fact that I'm so busy reading subs that I pay FAR less attention to the acting of said VAs in Japanese that I honestly couldn't tell you when someone is doing a bad job or a good job. I'm relying on the subs to convey the emotion of a scene (that's not yelling, obviously), not the actors.

I've heard the Japanese viewers found the AoT Japanese actors to be damn-near overacting. Me? Couldn't tell. I don't know enough Japanese (nor do I care to learn it) to know when someone was using particularly forceful language, or if they were being boot-lickingly formal and submissive. Even if I did, there's a strong chance that I would just plain miss any dramatic implications that Japanese viewers would know just from being immersed in that culture. In English? It's just sooo much easier to tell the inflections apart.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
He created the f***ing character.

Alright, I guess I should apologize and no longer question George Lucas's decisions that he has made recently on Star Wars, something HE CREATED.

Honestly, the whole 'original creator's' arguments are only brought up when it's most convenient. Not exactly something everyone goes by 100%.

Last edited by TopGunman on Mon May 19, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
Unless you're a child or suffer from a problem like an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, there really is no excuse to not be able to follow a show subbed. I'm not saying you can't prefer them dubbed, to each their own after all, but it is a sad state of affairs if we have arrived to the point where teenagers don't even have the attention span to read a few lines during 25 minutes.

I guess visually impaired/blind and dyslexic people don't exist in your world. Rolling Eyes

You're right. I should have mentioned medical reasons in general instead of sticking to the attention deficit disorder. My bad.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
getchman wrote:
can't speak for anyone else, but I can read just fine, I'm watching 30 shows this season. But, sometimes I just don't want to read, so I watch a show in English, assuming it has a dub.

Yeah I didn't phrase my question very well, it sounds like i'm asking why every single American fail to read subtitles, which definitely isn't the case. But judging from personal experiences, as well as years of observation, a lot of people from the US seemingly have a hard time reading subtitles. Hence my curiosity~

@Kadmos1, so the general consensus of the Japanese otaku crowd is that the NA dub is good? I'm genuinely interested in a source on that :O.

@TopGunman, if you do not recognize Romi Park's performance as Edward Elric as even just a decent one I do not think you're fit to judge voice actors. And now that people are disagreeing with you, you call them sub purists. If you're going to initiate a conversation you shouldn't get hyperdefensive as soon as someone disagrees with you.

I meant that I should've said that the Japanese approve of dub cast lists as a general statement. I don't know what the general Japanese otaku view of the English Attack on Titan is.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9