• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Teens Share Their Reactions to Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
It still doesn't sound like *A MAN*. It's very obviously in all three cases a female's voice. And while that may work with some of the more effeminate adult male characters, Goku is one of the LAST character's I'd ever refer to as "effeminate".

He never sounds effeminate. He just sounds like a big kid. Which he is. And while normally such an on-the-nose voice would be pointless, Goku is supposed to stand out from every other character. It's the voice and Nozawa's delivery of his lines that helps bring a certain charm to the role. He's not supposed to sound "tough" or "badass", like the English dub constantly wants to paint him as (inaccurately). He's just a big goof who can kick ass now and then.

The problem with the NA DB fandom is a fundamental misunderstanding of the characters and scenarios, which is perpetrated largely by the English language version that aired on Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy, it could be sometimes that when a Eng. voice audition is sent to the Japanese, the anime director does the direct approval and the creator involvement is as simple as "I approve this decision if they approve".

I honestly don't know how much involvement the manga-ka has and also wonder that when they become busy writing a manga. Those that have weekly deadlines probably have limited involvement (I am amazed at how they manage to make such deadlines with so little sleep).
Actar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Actar wrote:
To me, watching a dubbed anime is like watching American cartoons or Hollywood movies dubbed in Japanese or a Korean drama dubbed in Chinese. It's just so bizarre when you can just experience the original.

The difference there though is you're watching real people. You most likely know what those hollywood actors sound like before even turning on the movie, so seeing that person with another person's voice coming out of them is strange. There's a visual and auditory disconnect there. While that can certainly happen with anime if you've watched a show a lot in japanese and then switch to english, I feel it's far less pronounced compared to live-action.

I did include American cartoons in my original comment as well. I mean, I like Japanese, but I see no reason in watching this, regardless of quality, over the original English version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZS36w_fxdg
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Man, i've just encountered so many people with that attitude who hate on perfectly good dubs thats it just becomes unbearable at times. I understand people have a preference but when they they say things like "nothing in anime sounds good in english" i just ... ugh. And also that is a phase that a lot of people go through that they eventually grow out of but i wasn't implying watching subs as a whole i meant just putting japanese things on a pedestal which is what i encountered in my early days of fandom that a lot of people (me included) were doing.

I also wasn't trying to sound enlightened or condescending (and i apologize if i was) but its just frustrating hearing things like that all the time everywhere. Its not even that i hate subs cause i watch subbed stuff all the time its just irritating is all. Embarassed

Yeah, I kind of ranted about this in the comments section of that video.

One thing I mentioned in response to the video is what Hope said on ANNCast about people's reactions to the dub of the show and how it doesn't sound like archetypical seiyuu casting. I really do believe that's as good of a way to put it as any not just for Attack of Titan, but with some exceptions aside, for most dubs in general. I officially don't buy the argument anymore that a lot of dubs have poorer acting or casting than in the Japanese version, like they're not even adequate. I find that to be bulls***.

I have watched enough shows in Japanese that I have at least sensed the recurring pattern in what Hope was talking about with archetypical seiyuu casting. Not that it's in Attack on Titan specifically, but whether it with the same actors or different ones, you get various examples of the same types of voices for the same types of roles. The brash, determined, young male pubescent or prepubescent voice. The squeaky, monotone, reserved female voice. The bubbly, airhead female voice. The deep, gravely, commanding old man voice. The deep, intimidating, antagonistic adult male voice. The gentlemanly, suave, caring, princely young adult male voice (there's a guy named Akane in Soul Eater Not who's voiced by Takahiro Sakurai and fits that character type for crying out loud). There are other examples, but I really do see these sort of patterns happen often when watching anime in Japanese.

For the record, none of that makes the acting or casting in any anime in Japanese bad necessarily. Nor does that mean every character in anime is created or is their voice portrayed in such a way that makes you think, "typical anime character." What I am saying though is that those type of casting choices and portrayals in Japanese are what anime fans usually respond to and are attached to and thus when watching the dub version of some show, even if it's just a few seconds worth of spoken, many fans cringe in response to how whatever archetypical seiyuu voices they heard and admired are gone or "lost in translation" in most dubs. It certainly would explain the common notion that whether one understands good acting or how voice acting in the industry works doesn't matter as long as the voices are like the Japanese version but in English.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I mean, I like Japanese, but I see no reason in watching this, regardless of quality, over the original English version:

I see no reason in watching that PERIOD. Confused
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Getting back on topic, it just seems like the Attack on Titan dub sounds very amateurish, at least based on the first few episodes. It was surprising to me because Funimation has improved over time, but this one seems half-hearted. Aside from a couple of characters here and there, there seems to be a lot of forced, stilted deliveries. But then, given the material they have to work with, it shouldn't be surprising.

I find Eren's VA to be especially troubling, as he seems incapable of genuine emoting. Thus my Vic Mignogna comparison.

I'd have to disagree, at least in this specific case. Usually, Papenbrook, Eren's VA, does sound rather hokey (not sure if that's the best word to describe him, but whatever) in dubs, but I feel that this is one of the only times I've ever heard him act, well, relatively decent. He's still probably one of the weaker links in the dub overall, at least so far, as everyone else sounds much more convincing.

In fact, I feel that Mikasa, Armin, and Sasha are the best so far. Shadis (the drill instructor in episode 3) was definitely THE highpoint of the entire episode.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I did like the drill instructor's VA, definitely. Potato Girl sounds pretty decent, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I did include American cartoons in my original comment as well. I mean, I like Japanese, but I see no reason in watching this, regardless of quality, over the original English version:

Aro? So Japan puts more effort into American cartoons than America does? That's kinda cool!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Actar wrote:

Aro? So Japan puts more effort into American cartoons than America does? That's kinda cool!

....That's COMPLETELY the opposite of the point he was trying to make. Confused
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I did like the drill instructor's VA, definitely. Potato Girl sounds pretty decent, too.

Add Armin & you've got the three VAs I thought did a decent to very good job on the dub.

Mikasa was subpar but definitely not horrible. Eren's VA though... His performance was just unbearable. It's beyond me how you can call yourself a voice actor, get paid & still perform like that.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
just found out there is a bonus video on their second chanel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIttXbhxs8
konqueror

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Even the casual viewers know that the dub isn't that good hahaha.

Well, ep3 was better, more faithful to the original script.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
Even the casual viewers know that the dub isn't that good hahaha.

Well, ep3 was better, more faithful to the original script.

They didn't show much of the dub though. They only showed the dubbed trailer, right? They showed a lot more of the Japanese version. They SHOULD'VE showed the opening. Why didn't they?

SO. MANY. THEY'S! Anime hyper
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
The one girl that said "Is this the new Pokemon" SMH.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This is really unexpected IMO. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9