• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
No way. If the forum's resident hatewatcher jumps the gun, what does it say about this show? What has become of this world?! Laughing
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I was certain that dtm42 would watch this..

CrowLia wrote:
What has become of this world?! Laughing

As it so happens there's a super typhoon targeting Japan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gosh darn, so this thread won't be filled with insanely nit-picky commentary from someone who is only watching to bitch endlessly?

The tragedy.

This raises the horrible spectre that we may actually see some intelligent discussion.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood, you got a little sarcasm on your lip, there... Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

No, that's some ointment his doctor gave him for his rash.

willag wrote:
Oh, this thread needs some hate, does it? Lemme try my best. Wink

So, I was playing some Town of Salem a little while ago, and I came across Kirito. I was the serial killer in that game, and I put all of my effort into killing that turd. I didn't even care about winning, I just wanted him dead. Night 1, he was jailed (protected from my attack). Night 2, he was healed after my attack. Night 3, I was jailed (and couldn't attack). And the next day I was lynched by the town because I was discovered to be SK. And he survived all the way to the end, where it was revealed that he was mafia. The bad guys win and the good guys lose.

What this proves:
1. Kirito is Evil.
2. It's not about the soloist, it's about the choir. Anyone half-way decent would look good in a group of stupid. Kirito isn't special, he just surrounds himself with the right people.
3. Kirito is Evil.

I rest my case.

Oh, wait, this is a thread about discussing the anime. Pfft, I've got better things to do with my time, like playing ToS or picking the dead skin off the bottom of my feet. I saw the first two episodes of the first season and after reading more up on it I realized it wasn't for me.

Sorry, I can't be a replacement for dtm. I'd shoot myself before I'd watch this far. Wink

(Note: This post was made in semi-seriousness, so please calm the pitchforks. But for those who need something to let out their rage on, I've got some Kirito punching bags over here. It's very therapeutic.)

I was wondering if you would have posted in here lol. I went back to page 1 and started scrolling looking for you willag lol.

As for the show at hand....meh I'll give it a try. I LIKED SAO, but I didn't LOVE it like many. It was fun and enjoyable and I think it ended just fine. This seems like it's just going to be another "let's make a sequel because we made money before even though there's no real need for a sequel" type of series. I enjoyed SAO enough the first time around I'll give this a chance but it will be on a short leash. Much like I keep Blood on at times.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Naturally, I'm too polite to say what Psycho101 has on HIS lip. Wink

Sounds like I feel pretty much the same way about SAO as you, Psycho101. I didn't love it to pieces, but the level of hate it inspired in some quarters makes me scratch my head a bit. I never felt it was significant enough to warrant that level of vein-bulging loathing. I think perhaps its popularity really drove the haters nuts.
Yarg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The first episode serves as a decent beginning for a 24 episode season, although I'm a bit concerned about the length. I was expecting a 13 episode series to cover the Phantom Bullet arc, but I'm not going to complain if they manage to do a good job at pacing at 24 episodes.

I actually went back and read the SAO thread since it's a slow day at work, and wow there were quite a bit of vitriol in there~

Looking forward to the next episodes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Naturally, I'm too polite to say what Psycho101 has on HIS lip. Wink

Sounds like I feel pretty much the same way about SAO as you, Psycho101. I didn't love it to pieces, but the level of hate it inspired in some quarters makes me scratch my head a bit. I never felt it was significant enough to warrant that level of vein-bulging loathing. I think perhaps its popularity really drove the haters nuts.

Well owly was quite satisfied by the end so I don't mind, but it is polite of you to not blab. Wink

The only thing about SAO that got me was the plethora of cosplays. But it's not original to this show. Every year the one big show always gets that massive flux of cosplayers that help kill the show by putting it in your face constantly. Last year it was Titan, this year...wait and see. I use that as a rule of thumb, if every 3rd person is cosplaying as that show (shonen jump shows being an exception) I avoid watching it until they move on to the next fad so I can enjoy the show in peace.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first episode serves as a decent beginning for a 24 episode season, although I'm a bit concerned about the length. I was expecting a 13 episode series to cover the Phantom Bullet arc, but I'm not going to complain if they manage to do a good job at pacing at 24 episodes.

Yeah, I'm curious about that myself. They could do what they did with season 1 and make the back 12 be about the next arc, but that one has a lot more material to it, and I don't think they could fit it into 12 eps.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, I'm curious about that myself. They could do what they did with season 1 and make the back 12 be about the next arc, but that one has a lot more material to it, and I don't think they could fit it into 12 eps.

I don't see why they couldn't. First series had roughly 6 episodes, per novel. Phantom Bullet is 2 novels and Mother's Rosario is 1, with another side story book after that (which already had one story be in season 1). Obviously they're not going to touch the Alicization arc, since that one is 7 novels and counting.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The only thing about SAO that got me was the plethora of cosplays. But it's not original to this show. Every year the one big show always gets that massive flux of cosplayers that help kill the show by putting it in your face constantly. Last year it was Titan, this year...wait and see.

At the 'con I was at back in May (probably the third-biggest in the U.S. after AX and Otakon, incidentally), the AoT cosplayers seemed to have a slight edge over the SAO cosplayers in numbers, but I attribute that at least partly to the Survey Corps get-ups being more of a generic look that almost anyone could pull off. (And Blue Exorcist cosplayers probably equaled or beat both of them in number.) I will be at a non-anime 'con next month where there should be a fair amount of cosplaying, so it will be interesting to see how AoT being on AS and this series having been out for a few eps affects that balance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

I don't see why they couldn't. First series had roughly 6 episodes, per novel. Phantom Bullet is 2 novels and Mother's Rosario is 1, with another side story book after that (which already had one story be in season 1). Obviously they're not going to touch the Alicization arc, since that one is 7 novels and counting.

yeah, they could add side stories like quest to get Excalibur. That's pretty long and the event is just after few months or weeks after Phantom Bullet. I think they cut out the discovery of Excalibur story from the ALO Arc(use that as flashback).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

yeah, they could add side stories like quest to get Excalibur.

I don't think Kirito would want him. Laughing
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Now the song is stuck in my head. Eksu-calibaaa!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I think the vitriol in the SAO thread was driven in equal parts by haters who simply didn't like the popularity of the show, and super fans who were convinced that it was perfect. When you have that level of people who are 100% committed to that position without any intellectual thought process behind their decision, flames are going to erupt. I'm going to watch SAO2 because SAO1 was entertaining for me. Yes, it was bad in many ways, but a lot of entertainment is bad in many ways. There was enough good about it for me to still get something from it. Plus, I was a pretty big fan of Mr. Kawahara's other work, Accel World, so I know he is capable of some good writing when he puts some good effort into it Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 115