• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pacific Rim Gets Film Sequel & Animated Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
It's nothing like Evangelion.

There's a lot that is incidentally the same. Special suits that must be worn, the cockpit descending into main body before being screwed in, launching from a dedicated base and facing wave after wave of alien invaders who are following a set pattern by fighting them with segmented blades, those sorts of things. Yes, mostly the similarities are due to the common heritage between Pacific Rim and NGE which are both designed after the super robots of the 70s and 80s.

However, the fact that there is a neural linking system is very much like NGE. Drift compatibility works differently than synchronisation rate but the end result is similar; chosen pilots who have to meet strict brainwave compatibility criteria must neurally integrate themselves into their mechs and suffer the risk of the system showing them more than they want to see. And there's a part in Pacific Rim where a pilot clutched their shoulder in pain after their Jaeger's arm was destroyed, which is surely a direct homage to a scene in the battle between Shinji and Zeruel.

I will say that what Pacific Rim had that NGE lacked was GLaDOS, which I thought was a pretty neat touch. Many people I talked to didn't even know it was her.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe in terms of the tech they are similar, but thematically they are totally different. The "robot" fights were secondary to what Eva was about. Don't get me wrong. I liked Pacific Rim; but it was just about watching monsters and robots punch each other.

Edit- oops. I didn't see Dtm's post above mine.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
It's nothing like Evangelion.

There's a lot that is incidentally the same. Special suits that must be worn, the cockpit descending into main body before being screwed in, launching from a dedicated base and facing wave after wave of alien invaders who are following a set pattern by fighting them with segmented blades, those sorts of things. Yes, mostly the similarities are due to the common heritage between Pacific Rim and NGE which are both designed after the super robots of the 70s and 80s.

However, the fact that there is a neural linking system is very much like NGE. Drift compatibility works differently than synchronisation rate but the end result is similar; chosen pilots who have to meet strict brainwave compatibility criteria must neurally integrate themselves into their mechs and suffer the risk of the system showing them more than they want to see. And there's a part in Pacific Rim where a pilot clutched their shoulder in pain after their Jaeger's arm was destroyed, which is surely a direct homage to a scene in the battle between Shinji and Zeruel.
These aren't things that make it a copy of something. At this point you might as well say any superhero media is the same because they have dudes in capes and powers.

These are superficial similarities that don't add up to anything.

The story, tone, and style of Pacific Rim is nothing like Eva. What they share can be summed up as "they are both giant robot" shows. That's it though, because when I think of what makes Eva, Evangelion it sure is'nt the technology or how they pilot the Evas. No, thats rather unimportant to the show. No what makes Evangelion Eva is how it's story was told. The psycho anylyzation of it's characters. Hell even the religious motifs. Style and tone. Pacific Rim is nothing like that, it is a big fun ho-ra! movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm: Evangelion copied a lot of things, particularly from other mecha anime. And the whole synching of the pilots with their robots idea is from Mazinger Z.

Rahxephon: Then you should watch Patlabor, because Eva stole those ideas from it, too.

walw:
Quote:
Because everything must be a copy of Evangelion, as if no other giant robot anime existed before or since.

That's how I feel about Tarantino movies.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Rim feels like Austin Powers, the first one. It didn't do great in theatres, but killed it on home video to greenlight a sequel.

Also animated series? Gypsy Danger in SRW please.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Considering that mecha was shown in America LONG before it was in Japan, it doesn't matter if the Japanese criticize them or not. Not saying they CAN'T, but mecha isn't even a Japanese concept. It would be like saying Americans could criticize the African rap community due design due to their direction and style of rap.

What are you talking about, brah? Mecha isn't even popular in America. They barely make any cartoons or movies about mechs and when they do they tend to be unpopular and aren't very good. The only mecha anime that does well is those old hackjobs like Voltron or Robotech which rely on nostalgia from 80s kids.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
Considering that mecha was shown in America LONG before it was in Japan, it doesn't matter if the Japanese criticize them or not. Not saying they CAN'T, but mecha isn't even a Japanese concept. It would be like saying Americans could criticize the African rap community due design due to their direction and style of rap.

What are you talking about, brah? Mecha isn't even popular in America. They barely make any cartoons or movies about mechs and when they do they tend to be unpopular and aren't very good. The only mecha anime that does well is those old hackjobs like Voltron or Robotech which rely on nostalgia from 80s kids.

I have a theory about this actually. It's real robots that America doesn't like, while super robots like Transformers and Voltron do fine.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:

Some uncut/mostly preserved mecha is popular in, y'know. Macross Plus, Macross II, Gundam Wing, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Evangelion. Also mecha was shown in Superman LONG before any anime or manga was written or produced. I used the African example because it predates American rap, yet America popularized rap, while mecha is from America, while the Japanese popularized mecha.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Didn't the first movie bomb or at least underperform expectations?

Pacific Rim made US$102m "domestically" and US$309m in the rest of the world, for a total gross of US$411m. As a rule of thumb the theatres take half that money so the studio gets about US$200m, which is what it cost to make and market the film. So they broke even but did no better than that on the movie itself. However, home video sales, model kits, the soundtrack, the graphic novels, product tie-ins and other merchandising could well have turned a tidy profit for Warner Bros. and probably did.

That figure is not correct. Movie theaters only keep around 20-25% of ticket sales, and sometimes even less. Most of the money goes to the production company an distributor. There is a reason that movie theater snacks cost so much. They make up most of theaters profits.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I got more of a G Gundam(1994) vibe when watching them fight in the cockpit. Special suits inside a huge cockpit where they use all their limbs to fight and any damage on the robot is inflicted on the pilot, sometimes two pilots in the cockpit.

Brainwave compatibility in mecha is nothing new. Although I've never seen it as a focus like in NGE or Pacific Rim.
Maybe Five Star Stories(1986)?
http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fivestarstories/fatimas/
"Fatimas are necessary copilots for mortar headds and mentally merge with the computer systems of these devastating machines to control weapons, communications and other vital processes. The mental merging is so complete that shock or strain experienced by the mortar headd during combat can be damaging to a fatima. Some fatimas have died after extended or particularly brutal battles."
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
That figure is not correct. Movie theaters only keep around 20-25% of ticket sales, and sometimes even less. Most of the money goes to the production company an distributor. There is a reason that movie theater snacks cost so much. They make up most of theaters profits.

I did some research to check and you are quite right about this. For the first week or two of a movie's release the theatre will only get to keep about a quarter of the ticket revenue (depends on the exact deal, and every movie has a different deal). Although the percentage increases in subsequent weeks, that still means that for the period where the movie is making the most money the theatre is being shafted and gets to keep but a pittance.

Anyway, all this means is that Pacific Rim definitely made a profit and therefore it should come as no surprise that it is getting a sequel.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually kind of excited to see a sequel to Pacific Rim, while it wasn't a great movie and the MCs acting wasn't particularly good it still managed to be fun. Its something that movies like Man of Steel, which were too busy trying to be dark, are clueless about. And hey, no forced romance in PR was actually kind of refreshing.

If I recall correctly I think I read that PR did well in China, but not so hot in Japan.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Some uncut/mostly preserved mecha is popular in, y'know. Macross Plus, Macross II, Gundam Wing, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Evangelion. Also mecha was shown in Superman LONG before any anime or manga was written or produced. I used the African example because it predates American rap, yet America popularized rap, while mecha is from America, while the Japanese popularized mecha.

No offense, but comparing the mecha genre to random robot enemies Superman fights displays a very rudimentary understanding of what mecha anime actually is. It's not simply 'robots', it's all the tropes and norms that are associated with the genre.

I'm not too surprised it didn't that well in Japan. These kinds of projects rarely do. Too much cultural difference between the countries. Even if you have the project headlined by a die hard fan, they're still just that at the end of the day: a fan. not a creator.

I'm more interested in what the animation series entails. Saturday Morning Watchmen fodder or some kind of low budget internet thing like RWBY? Given I've seen people cite the toy sales as a reason it's getting a sequel consideration, I would presume the former if I had to place a bet.

-Stuart Smith
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm more interested in what the animation series entails. Saturday Morning Watchmen fodder or some kind of low budget internet thing like RWBY? Given I've seen people cite the toy sales as a reason it's getting a sequel consideration, I would presume the former if I had to place a bet.

Of course, unlike Watchmen, there's no reason whatsoever you couldn't make a family friendly animated series that was more or less right in line with the movie. It was a fairly soft PG13 and basically all for robot-on-monster violence. Animated, there's little in that movie that's higher than PG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3