• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Opens Crowdfunding for The File of Young Kindaichi Returns

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
While I am not interested in the show I find it unrealistic to crowdfund the sequel series without the original series first.

I'll pass on that and wait for Black Jack 3rd set.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I dunno... I'd actually like to see the original come first because it makes more sense that way, and I've never seen it so it'd be a great opportunity.
But about the anime, the cases on Kindaichi Returns are actually pretty interesting, just the characters are pretty bland with little to no personality at all. Compared to Detective Conan where it's almost the exact opposite and for a slightly younger audience.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
I dunno... I'd actually like to see the original come first because it makes more sense that way, and I've never seen it so it'd be a great opportunity.
But about the anime, the cases on Kindaichi Returns are actually pretty interesting, just the characters are pretty bland with little to no personality at all. Compared to Detective Conan where it's almost the exact opposite and for a slightly younger audience.

Yeah, weirdly, this series seems to assume you already saw the older series and know who the characters are. I read the Tokyopop manga way back when (WHY DID I SELL THEM???), so I'm in the clear, but it feels like an odd way to introduce an old series to a newer crowd.

I might fund this, but I'd reeeeally prefer the older series (the majority of which is still unsubbed). The first case in that was great! Clever, creepy, and best of all, a murder! This? Ehhh, I would've picked a more interesting case to start off with. :/
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Gee, a lot of non-fans of Kindaichi here... I actually like the show a lot.

It's basically a teen detective show in the vein of the old Encyclopedia Brown books (if anyone here besides me is old enough to remember those). A smart teenage kid solves mysteries - that's basically it. It's fun to watch even though it's obviously unrealistic (the most fun unrealistic part for me is when all the adults gather round at the end to listen to how Kindaichi-kun solved the mystery... like in real life detectives would turn to a 16 year-old to do their job for them Anime hyper).

I do wish we could see the original series on Crunchyroll, so we could get some background on Kindaichi and his grandfather and the supporting characters.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

I do wish we could see the original series on Crunchyroll, so we could get some background on Kindaichi and his grandfather and the supporting characters.

I don't think you ever get any background on Kindaichi's grandpa, at least not in the manga (or in the few early subbed episodes). I'm fairly certain his grandfather is some literary figure; it'd be like someone saying "In the name of my grandfather, Sherlock Holmes, I will solve this case!". So for background, you'd just go read the books. (His name is Kousuke Kindaichi, for you curious folks).

You do get plenty of stuff on the background characters, like the Gentleman Thief, that guy with the camera, the police Superintendent. You even get to see the origins of the villain in the current case, the Puppeteer of Hell, which was one of my favorite cases from the manga.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

I don't think you ever get any background on Kindaichi's grandpa, at least not in the manga (or in the few early subbed episodes). I'm fairly certain his grandfather is some literary figure; it'd be like someone saying "In the name of my grandfather, Sherlock Holmes, I will solve this case!". So for background, you'd just go read the books. (His name is Kousuke Kindaichi, for you curious folks).

You do get plenty of stuff on the background characters, like the Gentleman Thief, that guy with the camera, the police Superintendent. You even get to see the origins of the villain in the current case, the Puppeteer of Hell, which was one of my favorite cases from the manga.

If you wanted to read up on his granddad the dog god clan actually got published in English by stone bridge press, along with the very hard to get Tokyo zodiac murders. Both of those along with edogawa rampos kogoro akachi are very important to Japanese detective fiction. In general japan focuses on whodunits and golden age mysteries, rather then here are the lives of detectives type mysteries where the reader can't figure out who the culprit is.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

It's basically a teen detective show in the vein of the old Encyclopedia Brown books (if anyone here besides me is old enough to remember those).

My sister and I loved those. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2