• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Barakamon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Handa's mom totally has it going on. I too thought it was his sister at first.

I found the scene when Naru talked to Handa on the phone really touching. This whole show has been just phenomenal. At first I thought it would be a focus on Naru and her silliness, but that's taken a backseat to Handa's growth, in which Naru plays a huge part.

In short, I'm going to be sad when this ends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

The only immediate thought is how funny it was at the end that spoiler[Miwa was pretty much acting just like Handa, from coming in second place]. Also Handa spoiler[wearing a hair tie like Naru], and his mother spoiler[walking in on a scene of tying people up just like last time.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
it was only a minor thing but Kousuke's spoiler[voice recorder blowing up] was hilarious.

anyway, nice episode and Mrs. Handa is hilarious
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The phone call was sweet, I love how much all the kids have grown attached to Handa.

Aww, why'd he have to go spoiler[splash tea on his "Star" calligraphy? It was really pretty!] Oh well, looking forward to seeing the new work he came up with.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This episode and all my tears, oh god. When spoiler[Naru] finally got on the phone I was crying so bad. Can't wait to see that last calligraphy, the title alone brought tears to my eyes. It took me a moment to realize it referred tospoiler[ the stone wall Naru made him climb on episode 1,] and when I did, I was crying. This show's just so amazing.

I admit I wanted to punch Handa when hespoiler[ ruined the "Star" calligraphy. Such a waste.]
mierin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Can't wait to see that last calligraphy, the title alone brought tears to my eyes. It took me a moment to realize it referred tospoiler[ the stone wall Naru made him climb on episode 1,] and when I did, I was crying.[/spoiler]

Oooh, I never made that connection. I wonder if he wrote the names of people he met in Gotou? Among the mess of practice calligraphy littering the floor of his bedroom, I see Miwa's name (美和) and konomon (このもん). Will he actually include these as well? Laughing

Can't wait for the reveal this weekend.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:

A great charming show overall. This is one of my picks of the season that anyone should watch. Highly recommended for anyone.

As for the finale, I liked how spoiler[sensei reunited with the kids and how energetic they are to once again see him. Aww, just adorable.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The mom throwing a tantrum lol.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
No more Barakamon to look forward to next week. T_____T That was the perfect ending though. It leaves off at a good spot without any huge gaps yet it's not an end end so there's still room for a continuation.

Handa's mom cracks me up. Poor Kawafuji got dragged into it too. Anime hyper Seeing spoiler[how happy everyone was to see Handa back] was a treat and I loooooooooved the end card! The "thank you" from the cast was great!

God I hope I get the lottery for the event that takes place next year. If anyone is purchasing the Japanese BD/DVD and receives it before the application deadline, please please please let me have your application serial code!!

The event takes place in February and I'm hoping we get an announcement for a second season there!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Loved the spoiler[seals] on the room and the round table session. And the unboxing. And the outcome of the judging spoiler[(the winner was 93?!)]. Good note to end on, no complaints from me.

I definitely would like to at least see an OVA of Handa's mom visiting the island though. That would be epic.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I definitely would like to at least see an OVA of Handa's mom visiting the island though. That would be epic.

I would like to see an OVA of Handa's dad visiting the island in his younger days!

But yeah, his mom's hilarious. Now we know were he's got his...um... temperament from. Laughing Nice final to a very funny and heartwarming series, i'm already starting to miss it...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

It was a bit low key compared to other episodes, but I guess they really wanted to get us to understand why not just stay, but also why he would go back. You can see the side he picked up from his mother, and really she kind of represented what he was like before he went to the island.

For the series as a whole, I can't think of a bad episode. This is the final part of the trio of comedy which included Nozaki-kun and Sabagebu, each one really easily would be the best comedy of a season. Sabagebu had hilarious wacky and surprising comedy, Nozaki-kun worked brilliantly on shoujo tropes and characters playing on romance. But Barakamon, it effortlessly blended comedy with slice of life and drama, the jokes could be such a small thing as termites yet it would make you laugh without making it feel like they are trying too hard. Plus they included art as a theme and were able to inforporate it without making it feel like it is trying too hard to be artsy. And lastly the characters, I thought that I would hate Naru, but she ended being part of the reason I loved the show, all of the characters end up being lovable. The voices have to be credited too.

This was my favourite show of the season, when I look back at what were the best of the year, Barakamon will of course be something to make a note on. I said it earlier, and since the show has not messed up, I rate it Masterpiece, it is exquisite beyond words in that explaining it really does not do it justice. I would totally recommend this to as many as I could.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
#12 Final

spoiler[Damn, his mom really wanted him to stay..
Guess he thinks of that island more of a home than his real home.
His dad had some nice memories of that place as well.
Only his mom was throwing a fit about it..
The package from the island was nice ^^
Everyone was happy he was back yet he ended without being picked up.
I'm still fascinated by vending machines in the middle of nowhere.
At least he got a happy welcome back!
Think they placed him down on purpose thanks to his dad so he can learn more on the island.
The best thing was that it didn't bother him at all.
Wish this would get another season.
At least they left plenty of room for a sequel.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I had no choice but to rate this show a Masterpiece. It was consistently good from start to finish and had many classic moments. Sensei going beetle-hunting with the boys and his Mom's freakout being two of my favourite. A definite buy sometime in my future.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I do not have anything else to add to DP and Blood- 's posts.

Rated this show Masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10