• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold to Release Robotech/Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:

Why? They've already done it three times before.

I thought (and recalled) ADV release the uncut version not Harmony Gold, did Harmony gold ever release these uncut before ADV film did those??

Harmony Gold has the rights to it, all English releases have been sub-licenses from HGUSA. The first was on VHS from Streamline, the second was an immaculate DVD release from AnimEigo, and the third time was ADV's DVD release with a dub. HGUSA has been selling off the left overs from the AnimEigo and ADV releases through the Robotech site for a while.

EyeOfPain wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:
So not only is it not the new HD master, it doesn't even have the uncut ADV-dub, or even the original HGUSA-dub for the first episodes. I wonder what subtitles they'll be using, the AnimEigo or the ADV; If I remember correctly, there is a bit of a difference between the two.
Why would you expect whoever holds the rights to the HD master to hand those materials over to HG, or HG to pay any kind of money for new materials?

Good point.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I thought (and recalled) ADV release the uncut version not Harmony Gold, did Harmony gold ever release these uncut before ADV film did those??

It was AnimEigo and ADV working with [through] Harmony Gold, now it's just Harmony Gold alone.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

Harmony Gold has the rights to it, all English releases have been sub-licenses from HGUSA. The first was on VHS from Streamline, the second was an immaculate DVD release from AnimEigo, and the third time was ADV's DVD release with a dub. HGUSA has been selling off the left overs from the AnimEigo and ADV releases through the Robotech site for a while.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

It was AnimEigo and ADV working with [through] Harmony Gold, now it's just Harmony Gold alone.

I see, thanks. Because I'm a bit confused over the rights/US license on the Macross series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
First, Saban allows Shout Factory to release "Zyuranger" in America officially, and now this? This must be a great weekend to be a purist.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Because I'm a bit confused over the rights/US license on the Macross series.

Aren't we all. The only other releases were by Manga for Macross Plus and Macross II, and those licenses were likely just sneaked by an uncaring or unaware Harmony Gold in the 90s. Getting another SDF Macross release that has even less material than previous sets isn't even a consolation prize, it reeks of desperation to appease without actually trying.

Now if HG was offering an unattached [to Robotech] dubbed and subbed BluRay of Macross, I'd probably void my bowels. But that's not ever happening so my pants are safe. I'm not sure they could get those new materials because it would mean negotiating a new license, and a new license on modern licensing terms not the mid-80s we-have-no-idea-what-were-signing-away terms that Harmony Gold were able to secure from the then-naive Japanese licensors. HG wouldn't get those perpetual worldwide terms these days.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
First, Saban allows Shout Factory to release "Zyuranger" in America officially, and now this? This must be a great weekend to be a purist.

Yeah I wonder what's next: Voyager Entertainment team up with Discotek to bring over Space Battleship Yamato
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lunaitc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that anyone who purchases this is helping Harmony Gold to remain in business and thus ensuring that Frontier and DYRL are not released for at least one more decade.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
lunaitc wrote:
Reminder that anyone who purchases this is helping Harmony Gold to remain in business and thus ensuring that Frontier and DYRL are not released for at least one more decade.

Oh, I can't wait for that one poster to drop by and talk about how unpopular and disliked Frontier is and how it would just never sell in the West. You know, because Frontier and its two films were clearly an abject failure globally.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I see, thanks. Because I'm a bit confused over the rights/US license on the Macross series.

Everything is screwed because the Japanese companies have been fighting amongst themselves about who owns what, and Harmony Gold's contract, that may or may not be legal to begin with because of that issue, has allowed them domain over everything Macross (even those that they've never touched) in various regions. I've read a website (could've been an Answerman, could've been something else entirely) quoted a year that Harmony Gold's contract would supposedly run out . . . supposedly.

Just assume that anything Macross will not be receiving much of an English language release (this article being one of the rare exceptions) spoiler[until the clusterfuck has been sorted] or a company that really wants one of the series is willing enough to put up the money to sub-license it from Harmony Gold AND willing enough to give Harmony Gold more money for their cut of the profits.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
So this is going to include the ADV dub?

All I remember from that was that the guy that played Edward Elric played Hikaru.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

The one thing to keep in mind is that Harmony Gold doesn't distribute their own content. They own the material rights, but doesn't have the means to make and distribute their own discs. So they license it to other DVD publishers. In the past its been Animeigo and ADV. Now its Lionsgate.

Speaking of which, Lionsgate is kind of big distributor. Like... really big. I wouldn't be shocked if we see these Robotech/Macross sets in every Walmart in America. Which is no bad thing for Harmony Gold. Getting Lionsgate to distribute is a serious coup on their part.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The one thing to keep in mind is that Harmony Gold doesn't distribute their own content. They own the material rights, but doesn't have the means to make and distribute their own discs. So they license it to other DVD publishers. In the past its been Animeigo and ADV. Now its Lionsgate.

Speaking of which, Lionsgate is kind of big distributor. Like... really big. I wouldn't be shocked if we see these Robotech/Macross sets in every Walmart in America. Which is no bad thing for Harmony Gold. Getting Lionsgate to distribute is a serious coup on their part.

Is this their way of getting an in to finally produce the Robotech movie Tobey Maguire has apparently wanted to make since Spider Man 3? Because if so, wow.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
If we do get 'new' releases like this it is just the original. To them it is just an unchanging entity they have to tweak here and there to maintain their cash cow.

Imagine if some company kept on re-re-releasing the original 1979 Gundam, and everything from the movies and Zeta onwards was never seen overseas. Many fans can debate if they liked Wing, Seed, 00 or various other Gundams because we can actually at least get to them.

Imagine if a company got the original Dragon Ball, and DBZ was not part of the big late-90's boom? Sure we make fun of DBZ's pacing, but I'd rather live in a world, with, than without.

I want to share Macross with my peers and have conversations about the franchise's past, present, and future. This supposed purist/nostalgia wanking does not fly with me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, people don't really complain about what happened to Southern Cross or Mospeada mostly because those shows never had futures, they just came and went. And with the likes of Go Lion and Dairugger, I'm not sure how many people necessarily cared about the original series until recently.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
If we do get 'new' releases like this it is just the original. To them it is just an unchanging entity they have to tweak here and there to maintain their cash cow.

While I'm not completely sure about this, I THINK that one of the reasons for that is that Harmony Gold USA doesn't have the materials for anything other than SDF Macross and DYRL?. I could be wrong, but I don't think that they have the materials. I can't imagine Tatsunoko, Studio Nue, or Big West sending HGUSA any materials they haven't paid for, just because of an old agreement. Harmony Gold USA has the rights to everything Macross through the contract they signed decades ago, they've never, that I know of, sent off for any of the materials for II, Frontier, or 7.

I say that, but, judging from HGUSA's stance on the release of Macross properties, I imagine that they would not be opposed to getting those materials IF someone (like Lionsgate or FUNimation) was willing to pay for everything involved in getting those materials, pay them for the sub-license, and then pay them a percentage of the profits made from the selling of the DVDs/BDs. I doubt anyone will be willing to hand over that amount of money though. We'll most likely have to wait for HGUSA's contract to run out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6