• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 "Gateway" Anime Sure to Get Newbies Hooked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoisonHeart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
wut no Berserk? No Trigun? No Baccano? NO MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA?!?

...This is an outrage.
Beldarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
My "gateway anime" was actually Bleach. It got recommended to me by a friend during my second year of high school - I thought it was boring at first and only watched the first 17 episodes, but a month or so later I took it up again and it started to move faster after episode 20 or so.

...My favorite anime - Saint Seiya - could also work as a gateway anime IF it was just released with English subs. :\ It's pretty easy to follow and a treasure trove to anybody who likes Greek mythology, constellations and/or astrology.

And as far as sports anime go, Cyber Formula, Initial D and Diamond no Ace rank high on my list.

PS. For the new poll, I chose Violinist of Hameln. I've read the entire series and it's just hilarious~ Anime hyper I've also been into classical music since I was like 6 years old so it was a must~ (I also fangirled when I noticed they played Sibelius's Finlandia.)
sinwashere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
My gateway anime was Samurai Champloo. The dub is makes it easy for those who aren't used to subs to approach it, without losing the quality of the experience that you would get from watching it subbed. And too all those who agree with me that this should be on the list, much respect. Mugen would approve.

Also Natsume Yuujinchou might be a good way to start your anime experience. It's pleasant, not too serious and plenty of heart. Good way to ease them in, then have them watch Mushishi, so they can understand a deeper anime. Then when they can handle that, try to see if they can handle Higurashi. hehe (seriously though, Higurashi has to be watched way later down the line)
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

If you're into getting collected editions, you may want to wait a bit when it comes to Monster. From the comments of the recent Answerman, someone made mention that a collected edition may be coming out.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4335126#4335126

Damn, if that's true I might have to double dip now. I hadn't heard anything at all about that.
Este

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I started with Visions of Escaflowne and Nausicaa, and I only watched scifi/fantasy stuff for a long time. But now I think Madoka Magica would qualify as a getaway series too, because it got me into watching magical girls shows, a genre that I never even considered before that.

Back in the 90s, I also tried Dragonball, but I found the endless fights boring, which made me rather avoid combat series until now. So not so good as a starter for everyone...

Well in the end it's all personal preference.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Este wrote:
But now I think Madoka Magica would qualify as a getaway series too, because it got me into watching magical girls shows, a genre that I never even considered before that.

I think Madoka would be a terrible gateway series for someone who isn't already into anime since its purpose is largely to deconstruct a genre that non-anime fans wouldn't even know about(And it is full of MOE under-aged girls, frilly outfits, and experimental animation which would just feed a lot of mis/preconceptions/stereotypes about anime that already keep people away). On the other hand, for people who have watched a lot of anime, but may have slowed down(such as myself around the time when Madoka was starting to get a lot of buzz, it definitely got me back into it(As well as made me much more interested in the magical girl genre, since all I had seen up to that point was some Sailor Moon back in the day and Shakugan No Shana)), I think it definitely could get them back into it.

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi... Really? Even the original I thought people only liked for its nostalgia value these days.
Everything about it looks so ancient, and —at least in my opinion — not in a charming way. In fact, Tenchi's own rat's tail is a great emblem for the series as whole in this regard.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
While we're discussing firsts, I was back in the club days, when Dirty Pair TV/OAV wasn't just a gateway, it was an express four-lane highway into anime. Very Happy
And yes, as an 80's show, qualifies for the "Eww, it's so, like, OLD, did they not, like draw it with crayon?", but I'll put it up against Bleach or Madoka any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Face it, 80's, 90's....Starting to form a pattern.

ailblentyn wrote:
Tenchi... Really? Even the original I thought people only liked for its nostalgia value these days.
Everything about it looks so ancient, and —at least in my opinion — not in a charming way. In fact, Tenchi's own rat's tail is a great emblem for the series as whole in this regard.

It (assuming you grew up on the "watered-down" Universe)'s all about the characters:

Ayeka has, and always WILL have, one of the great Superior-Laughs in all anime. Smile
Any Spoiled-Princess character, whether it be the default "Rules-obsessed class president" in a school anime, or Petralka in Outbreak Company, owes homage to the one who founded the role.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed all of the Tenchi related titles except for the second movie which I found to be the least enjoyable of the three movies. The first movie and third movies I enjoy though. The characters are highly appealing with plenty of personality and charm. I'd totally would list the series as a must see.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The dub of Monster Farm was a gateway anime for many people. The fact
that Discotek picked it up in uncut form and released it in its entirety is cool.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

If you're into getting collected editions, you may want to wait a bit when it comes to Monster. From the comments of the recent Answerman, someone made mention that a collected edition may be coming out.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4335126#4335126

Damn, if that's true I might have to double dip now. I hadn't heard anything at all about that.

I'm not sure where they heard about it, but I wouldn't be surprised as Siren has said it's been a good seller for them. I'd guess that, if it were to happen, we may not hear much until the end of this year/start of 2015.

relyat08 wrote:
Shakugan No Shana

Is it strange that I consider that show as a "black mark" in my anime viewing experiences? It wasn't all bad, but that final season just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Felt like they threw out everything I had enjoyed in previous seasons.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Shakugan No Shana

Is it strange that I consider that show as a "black mark" in my anime viewing experiences? It wasn't all bad, but that final season just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Felt like they threw out everything I had enjoyed in previous seasons.

Not at all. In fact, I thought the 3rd season was fairly weak as well. It was a huge info dump, for starters. I might even need to lower my rating of it, to be honest.

On the topic of Monster, I'm glad to see that it seems to be doing well for Siren. I don't live in Australia, but I'll support them as long as they keep licensing stuff that is otherwise unavailable to me. A little surprised that they said overseas people haven't been helping out much. I did my part, at least.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
A little surprised that they said overseas people haven't been helping out much.

I'm not. I, clearly, live in Australia...and I only heard of Siren earlier this year...which reminds me, I should get around to Dennou Coil, though I barely blind buy. But, that sale is awfully tempting right now, and I've heard good things...Laughing
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
^Take the chance. The series is excellent. I purchased Chihayafuru and Genius Party from their current 30% off sale. I'd like to pick up Monster, but I've already spent quite a bit this summer so I'm gonna have to hold off. Hopefully they have another sale before the end of the year.

Anime that I have purchased from Siren Visual: Chihayafuru season 1, Dennou Coil, Genius Party (both sets), Kaiba, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy

I still want to pick up Monster, Chihayafuru season 2, and Higurashi Kai at some point from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
At some point you are going to have to face that most of these "gateway" titles are in 4:3 format. The new generation will not give that old anime format the time of day. UPGRADE! HD only.
Can't necessarily say I agree with your list, but you do make a good point here that needs to be kept in mind; it's far too easy for some people to dismiss things for being in the wrong aspect ratio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10