• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: GLASSLIP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxprog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Love triangle” is a wonderful term, but it's woefully inadequate in this scenario.

I believe what you're looking for is a Love Dodecahedron
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I agreed with the some points of the review but i dont see the point of having a grade system.

What were the reviewer's criteria in the first place? Does he look for the animation/bgm/character interaction/story for each episode? And grade a story other "meeting/failing/exceeding author's expectations"?

Im not sure if ANN has their own criteria in reviewing anime, but it would be nice to see a breakdown of scores each episode instead of a "A~F" rating.
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, and dropped it for a while after watching half of episode 2. I came back to it when I wasn't feeling so well and wanted to watch something new and low-stress that I didn't have to think about. It fit the bill for that. A very bland show.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Norman Shiu wrote:
I agreed with the some points of the review but i don't see the point of having a grade system.

For what it's worth, the review tells me what was good or bad about that episode, and the grade system tells puts those concerns into perspective. "Okay, so the logic here is so shaky it breaks immersion, but it's character interaction are interesting."
If that gets graded at an A vs. a C, that tells me something, even if I have no idea what that reviewer's tastes are (which will become apparent over the season). At least, that's been my experience with reviews here at ANN.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
meepsheeps wrote:
D+ and D. Sounds about right. This is the worst PA Works anime I've seen so far, after Another.

I am sorry but it would be very hard to beat another in terms of another in my opinion

Another had nice ideas but was sloppy in terms of execution.

If I were to rank the anime I've seen out of PA Works... Glasslip (4/10) < Another < Red Data Girl < Tari Tari < Hanasaku Iroha < Layton Movie < Nagi no Asukara (8/10)
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I kept convincing myself that I might like this. But this is the episode I drop this stupid show. Quite honestly, I don't think I can tolerate P.A shows anymore. I gave it a fair shot, so I don't feel bad about dropping it.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is, but we haven't seen its conclusion yet. Who knows, it might turns out to be like K where everyone were skeptical at how the first few episodes were messed up with little to no explanations at all. Then at the last few episodes, every pieces just came together and made sense and made that anime pretty popular enough for a movie and green-lit for a second season. I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch the show or tolerate it. Just that give the show a chance until you see the final episodes then judge it. Just like how I was with Brynhildr in the Darkness. I seriously thought it would turn out to be the best anime that season but it turned out to be a huge disappointment with the last episode even though everything was so perfect up until that point. So just wait, who knows. This show might be a piece of garbage at the end or a piece of works that might make people enjoy it
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
I agree that it has serious problems, like aimlessness and lack of use of potential everything haha, but for some reason I keep watching it. Well, OK, it was always peaceful and pretty, but it's lost even that now. Still, so close to the end, I'll finish it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
I don't like PA Works, but this series looked interesting, so I was planning to watch it. Alas, the preview guide (plus the fact that I already had 7 other series on my watchlist) deterred me from checking it out. Looks like I made the right choice: over dramatic love triangles (or other geometric shapes) don't sit well with me, especially if that is the whole focus of the series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So glad I ended up dropping this show.

I'm with you, I think I made it as far as episode 2 before I realised this wasn't for me... Which was a shame as it was the series I was most looking forward to (of the season).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Who knows, it might turns out to be like K where everyone were skeptical at how the first few episodes were messed up with little to no explanations at all. Then at the last few episodes, every pieces just came together and made sense and made that anime pretty popular enough for a movie and green-lit for a second season.

I thought K-Project was confusing and messy all around. Really, they should have focused on the main plot instead of creating subplots when they only had 13 episodes to squeeze everything in. The lack of focus was its greatest flaw.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Glasslip was one of my highest anticipated series for summer, especially because I really liked PA's two previous works. Heck, Uchouten Kazoku is one of my all-time overall favorites, and the idea of glass-blowing was interesting at least, but the two first episodes had way too much of obvious love polygon, and David's completely ridiculous speech about chicken freedom or whatever made me drop it, and I'm glad I did. I had already felt NagiAsu had overdone it a little with the love polygon, and I think the reviewer was spot on when he said:

Quote:
it wants the juicy reward without doing any of the pesky work

because right from the moment the story starts it jumps straight to the love polygon, as if a group of teenagers couldn't just be friends without over-the-top "A loves B who loves C who loves D" melodrama
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
So is this show just kind of like Tamako Market, but less cute?
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I am obviously in the minority of people who are enjoying this show. I really like slice-of-life storytelling and romantic comedy/drama, so I don't have a big problem with the slow pacing or ambling nature of the show. Many of my favorite shows are ones that feature the Love Dodecahedron structure, and this one is fairly well built. While it doesn't take the time, (or, more properly, have the time, since it is one cour) it takes the five character's longstanding friendships as a given. It does give us some feel for their relationships early on, with it being fairly clear that Yuki, Yana, Hiro, and Touko have been friends for a long time, while leaving the impression that Sachi is close to the girls, but kind of an outsider in terms of the group because of her undisclosed illness, which limits her ability to do things that take a lot of stamina.

The addition of Kakeru, aka David, to the mix does throw a monkey wrench into their group, but he isn't what ultimately drove the wedge between the friends. In reality, that wedge was driven by Yana. She expressed her feelings for her step-brother to Touko, who took it upon herself to support her friend and declared that the group's ban on dating relationships had ended. Touko did this to support her friend's love, but, as is so often the case, everyone could see who Yuki was in love with except for the target of that affection. This is NOT just a trope, BTW, but a facet of real life as well. It is often the person who is loved that is the last to find out about an unrequited passion. For an overly long discussion of this, see the spoiler block... spoiler[My son has had it happen to him, in both directions, during high school, and seen it several times with friends. He is currently dating the girl who everyone else knew liked him. The girl he liked pulled one of the most elaborate "friend-zone" tactics I have ever heard of, by pretty much ignoring him for about two months after his confession surprised her completely. Then she suddenly started talking to him just like they used to. When he asked her about it, she said it is her standard way of getting guys over it when they have a crush on her and she isn't into them that way. I guess she has had it happen a lot... It was harsh, but effective. They are now pretty good friends, just like before the confession... Anyway, I digress...]

It is this action that drove the wedge into their friendship and caused the distancing of the group. The arrival of Kakeru only forced Yuki to act on his feelings, due to the obvious, unexpected connection that Touko and Kakeru seemed to have, from Touko's friends' point of view, at least.

The fact that there was another member of the band of five that harbored feelings of love for Touko was also extremely obvious from the very beginning. No yuri goggles necessary to see the writing on that wall, folks!

The character of Kakeru is intentionally left as a mystery for much of the early part of the series, largely because of the supernatural component and his "loner" nature. It is clear that he has not lived with his father much and that he is used to being on his own. It is also clear that he has thought more about the nature of the glimpses of the future than Touko has. Since his ability is aural in nature, and he identifies Touko's "trigger" early on, it is clear that he is aware of his own "trigger". As the story progresses, it is made clear that classical piano music is that trigger. (With a possible addition of the "sounds of nature", but I think that may be more of a "calming" sound for him, since he retreats to the solitude of the woods when he is troubled.)

These last two points, and the fact that the reviewer seems to have missed them, leaves my confidence in the reviewer's overall judgement of the work at a fairly low point. To comment that the classical music seemed out of place, when it is obviously a major part of the overarching plot of the show, and to express surprise at the yuri revelation that was obvious from the start is disappointing, to say the least.

The sun-streaked stills that pervade the show are something that I have enjoyed. It is a motif I haven't seen used and it goes well with the classical music and sun-sparkles through glass aspects that are so central to the lives of the two primary protagonists. (The seemingly random, after-bath scene with Yana is another story all together. It didn't seem to have much of a point, other than to show the brooding state of the character. It was artistically interesting, but I am not sure what it added to the show, other than a greater sense of "WTF"...)

As for the strange comment to Yuki by Hina, I was hoping that was a "lost in translation" thing, since Yana said something quite similar to Kakeru later in the show. It left me with the impression that it was a phrase that had no clear translation into English, but would not make a native Japanese speaker blink twice. In any event, the intent of the comments, that Yuki is "not his normal self" or is "less appealing" because of his rejection by Touko and the subsequent confession by Yana, was fairly clear. He had expressed that concept himself, being unsure of how to go about facing his friends, Touko and Yana in particular, and feeling he was "out of it", so to speak.

All in all, it isn't the best show of the season or the best effort by PA Works. Not by a long shot. But it is also enjoyable and seems to be headed toward an interesting conclusion, with the fragments of the future, and the fragments of Kakeru that were evidenced in an earlier episode, doubtless to play a major role in the remaining episodes.

The gorgeous art is enough to bring me back each week, in any event and the music is also excellent. (The ED keeps sticking in my head, that is for sure!)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
I read the review to see if anything had happened since I dropped the show around episode 4. Not much, huh? But the review itself was a great read! The "bugs in a jar" metaphor was inspired and to the point, kudos.

To anyone still watching the show: did the show attempt to explain Kakeru's strange behavior or family situation yet? That was the most intriguing part to me, but I suspect the show will keep it an enigma on purpose. Wasted potential of a good storyline and character development there.

I also thought the show had two comedic bright spots: the older sister of one of the kids (forgot his name) who drives like a maniac and teases him, and Touko's dad's anecdotes. Did the show make anything of them, or were they pushed further in the background to allow the love geometrics to take center stage?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5