• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo Brings Back Original Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Of course they had to sexualize Sasami and Washu. Good going.

What is wrong with (sexualizing) Washu? in the original canon, she is an alien (that is several hundred years old) that is the mother of Ryoko, hell she was always doing something interpretably perverted so why not just have her clothes express that side of her as well?

I know Washu's character background. My point is she wasn't sexualized in the original so of course they had to go ahead and do it now. In other words, for no reason. And wow at your reasoning.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I know Washu's character background. My point is she wasn't sexualized in the original so of course they had to go ahead and do it now. In other words, for no reason. And wow at your reasoning.

If I were to bet money, then it would be about making money in the eventual merch sales.

Frankly, as far as "anime ladies" go the new Washu design is pretty tame, if you have an issue with a woman showing off cleavage while wearing a short cut dress that would be your own problem.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, no Noike, so there's an improvement from OVA 3 right there.

i wouldnt necessarily say that since she did had a part in that series though the main support characters were of course tokimi and her sisters.

Her "part" was being a Mary Sue Yamato Nadeshiko. The third OVA was an abomination that destroyed the franchise creatively, and Noike was a huge part of that.

that was harsh and very incorrect. if it did the OVAs wouldnt have selled well in the US and fortunately it did. also it had a very decent ending. its a lot better than how the first 12 OVAs of ryo-oki ended with a uber question mark that had bugged fans for decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that was harsh and very incorrect. if it did the OVAs wouldnt have selled well in the US and fortunately it did. also it had a very decent ending. its a lot better than how the first 12 OVAs of ryo-oki ended with a uber question mark that had bugged fans for decades.

It sold on its name alone. The OVA itself was a complete betrayal of everything that had come before it. New characters that added nothing, plotholes, story elements that viewers wouldn't understand unless they read the novels, a slapdash plotline, and ultimately the only thing that ended up changing is getting some new Mary Sue girl to join the cast. It was an enormous waste of time and a train wreck from which there is no recovery.

I mean, FFS, Chibi Tokimi? Loli-Kagato? All that build up to a battle that didn't take place between Tenchi and Z? All that Counteractor bullcrap? Two episodes on Mihoshi's brother?

It was an insult to Tenchi fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

the first and second OVAs sold well because they had a good story and plot with a cliffhanger ending., but OVA 3 tanked because it was such a dog's dinner, and OVA 4 was a salvage attempt that failed completely and utterly. This is nothing but mutton dressed as lamb.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Who says this has to just connect to the OVA series?

I didn't?
I was just making a general observation. :c

So maybe they don't want to put her in this OVA? Or maybe they will, who knows?

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I think OVA 3 and 4 had some interesting ideas that weren't executed well. It still was watchable though.

I actually kind of like these redesigned characters. Too bad Tenchi still has that ridiculous rat tail.

Does anyone know if this is going to be part of one of the already existing canons, or is this an all new timeline?
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What is this "OAV4" you guys talk about as if it was already released?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're talking about the OVA 3 epilogue episode. There has been no OVA 4.

Frankly, I preferred GXP to OVA 3. The problem with GXP is all that stuff happening in it should have happened to Tenchi.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:
What is this "OAV4" you guys talk about as if it was already released?

If they're referring to Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, they shouldn't be. Sure it stars Tenchi's relation and takes place in the same canonical universe, but it's less connected to the main Tenchi story than even GXP is.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Frankly, I preferred GXP to OVA 3. The problem with GXP is all that stuff happening in it should have happened to Tenchi.

Well, I would have preferred to see Ryoko Balta in Tenchi's harem Twisted Evil

But Tenchi having to serve a year or whatever in the GXP as some sort of Royal Family obligation wouldn't have been a bad idea.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
My mistake. I for some reason thought the two arcs in OVA 3 were considered separate OVA's.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, I would have preferred to see Ryoko Balta in Tenchi's harem Twisted Evil

But Tenchi having to serve a year or whatever in the GXP as some sort of Royal Family obligation wouldn't have been a bad idea.

It's really what OVA 3 should have been instead of just more sitting around in the Japanese countryside waiting for uninteresting characters like Noike and Airi to do something.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth

While I agree that OAV 3 could have been better, all they ever did in the first two OAVs is sit around the Japanese countryside and wait for something to interesting to happen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@penguintruth

While I agree that OAV 3 could have been better, all they ever did in the first two OAVs is sit around the Japanese countryside and wait for something to interesting to happen.

A fair point. But when something actually did happen, you didn't need a roadmap to figure out what was going on. And at least characters developed now and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5