• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randomfart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

penguintruth wrote:
Yoshiyuki Tomino created Gundam. You don't have to agree, but have some respect. The man knows anime. He's been working in the field as long as Hayao Miyazaki, so if he says Japanese voice actors are starting to sound the same, maybe, just maybe he has some kind of point.

Someone's past achievements don't automatically make someone an expert on the field, especially if they're achievements from half a century ago. Times change, and more often than not people who make these kind of claims are irrelevant to the modern anime industry and don't make very many, if any, works anymore.

I don't want to be obnoxious but really, before saying this nonsense go to Yoshiyuki Tomino's wiki page and look at, for how long he's been working on anime. Even though I don't really even agree with your point of "Someone's past achievements don't automatically make someone an expert on the field", that's not even the case here, what makes him an expert is the fact that he's been directing and creating anime for 50+ years, up to this very day.

You must understand the folly of comparing your own understanding of anime against this man who's been working with VA's for as long as he has.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

LACK OF INTEREST: Anime fan doesn't give a crap. Wink
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
I always want to do something about that."[/i]

This is the part that really pisses me off. These geezers speak like they are some kind of powerless damsels waiting for an all powerful (probably alien) entity to descend from the heavens and purifiy the industry. People like steve jobs are famous because they changed the industry, not because they talked about changing the industry. The way these old men speak is akin of having the owner of Honda saying "The industry should be 100% electric by now", then WHY did these people do not do something about it!? Do their behinds are glued perpetually to their comfy chairs and therefore prevents them from making an example by deeds, not words?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
One thing to appreciate about dubs is that the VAs don't try to sound like whoever is more popular (except for when they have to fill in for somebody else, like when Troy Baker started voicing the Joker).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
Miyazaki also has issue with voice actors.
http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-says-cutesy-anime-voices-are-unbearable-669265148
"Especially the young women's voices," Miyazaki continued. "It seems like they're all speaking with an 'Aren't-I-so-cute?' voice. That's unbearable. I always want to do something about that."

Tomino and Miyazaki started at about the same time in the industry, with Tomino at Mushi and Miyazaki at Toei. They probably have a similar conception of the current state of Japanese animation, for better or worse.

And it's not as though they've stopped working on anime since those early days (though Miyazaki is wrapping it up). Sure, maybe some of their more recent work hasn't been the greatest (especially Tomino's), but they hardly rested on their laurels.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Simple fact from a long-time Gundam fan: Tomino is nucking futs. Yes, he created the franchise and for that he does deserve a degree of regard. However, that doesn't mean we're going to turn a blind eye to his being opinionated and strong-willed, for better or for worse.

You're most certainly allowed to like a franchise and yet not agree with everything the original creator said; just ask the Star Wars fans. Very Happy
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It's really tiresome how people declare Tomino to be nuts or crazy or whatever when all we ever get translated on the guy are bits and pieces of potentially controversial stuff he says. It's like people assume from that he just sits around saying "mean" things all day or something.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That's only because they are thrown into cutesy leads and the voices sound forced and sometimes the same in the terms of pitch, there's at least 4 VAs now that can mimic Rie Kugimiya's tsundere typecasting near perfect if not perfectly and already 3 that can do near perfect Yui Ogura imitations in their voice acting.

I agree with Tomino but your examples are off by a lot. I have never once thought ANYONE sounded like Rie Kugimiya...not even close. Your ears are not trained well enough I guess. Same with Yui Ogura but to a lesser degree...lots of girls are trying to be her lately and are close but not "near perfect".

As for someones comment on dubs....wth? They do it even worse in English except very often they don't even have the respect to say the Japanese names properly
Eisenmann V

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD
As3ann

As much as i love seiyuu, i actually agree with what Tomino said. In recent anime, there are so many similar sounding seiyuu either in female or male department. But then again, being a seiyuu is still a job. Sometimes they got to do those so called flair to get a role.

Seiyuu with notable style usually got stereotyped after one famous role then it's difficult to get roles with different character types as a result (Wakamoto,Kugimiya,Sugita but i must say that they have small voice range)

I don't really follow new female seiyuu (cause there are so many of them and i still can't recognize Sora Amamiya's voice although she's like everywhere these days) but i follow some new male seiyuu and i can recognize Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Kaito Ishikawa immediately. And honorable mention for Ryota Ohsaka, his voice is generic but is sought after--voice of futsuu no otoko
yappers4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The only young Japanese VA I can recognize instantly are Rie Kugiyama, Tomokazu Sugita, and both Daisuke Ono and Namikawa. Every other Japanese VA, they all sound the same to me.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
I always want to do something about that."[/i]

This is the part that really pisses me off. These geezers speak like they are some kind of powerless damsels waiting for an all powerful (probably alien) entity to descend from the heavens and purifiy the industry. People like steve jobs are famous because they changed the industry, not because they talked about changing the industry. The way these old men speak is akin of having the owner of Honda saying "The industry should be 100% electric by now", then WHY did these people do not do something about it!? Do their behinds are glued perpetually to their comfy chairs and therefore prevents them from making an example by deeds, not words?

Quote:
He offered a backhanded compliment for his starring voice actress Yu Shimamura, stating he was proud in how her performance changed by episode two.

It kind of sounds like he is trying to make an example by deeds, not words.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It's really tiresome how people declare Tomino to be nuts or crazy or whatever when all we ever get translated on the guy are bits and pieces of potentially controversial stuff he says. It's like people assume from that he just sits around saying "mean" things all day or something.

To be fair, Tomino is a little nuts. Just look at Heavy Metal L-Gaim. But that doesn't mean he isn't a respectable crank. He's not some random old curmudgeon, he helped revolutionize anime and has continued to work in the field for decades.

The best response to a disagreement with Tomino is an affectionate, "Tomino... oh you!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nuts to you Tomino, Syd Mead's mobile suit designs are some of the best in the franchise.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Nuts to you Tomino, Syd Mead's mobile suit designs are some of the best in the franchise.

I agree.

That part of the article kind of bummed me out. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8