• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Next Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Project's … Logo Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
3.0+1.0=4.0
Oh, snap! It's the logo for the 4th film! Mystery solved
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Suena wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Good ideas on storytelling? There wasn't any storytelling in 3.33, that's the problem with it. It was just characters sitting around, musing, and then a brief action piece followed by everybody being exactly the same as they were at the beginning of the film.

Nothing. F***ing. Happens. Not plotwise, not thematically, not with character development. Nothing. It's an hour and half of nothing happening. A complete waste of time.

It's an installment. Like episodes are installments of an overall series. I can think of some stretches in the TV series where not much happened...

Even as an installment, it still has to stand on its own as a movie in of itself, with some kind of narrative. The original Star Wars trilogy was a series of films, but each one was a film that, while they needed the other to be a complete story, were also films in their own right on their own.

Even the previous two Rebuild movies, while obviously dependent on a larger narrative, serving a larger narrative, were each good films as themselves. This third one is a disgrace, a complete betrayal of what the first two films built, especially the second. Three films in, the larger narrative can't afford to derail the momentum as badly as the 3.33 did. Nothing is built up. It's just a slam halt and it comes off as being nothing more than a stall until the conclusion can be finished.

I think there was something incredibly wrong with the production process and they churned out 3.33 to distract us because they realized they didn't have an ending yet, or that something was wrong with it and they scrambled to fix it. There's nothing in 3.33 that feels like it's setting the stage. Shinji is basically the same at the end of 3.33 as he is at the end of 2.22, tired of everybody's bullshit. Just like I'm tired of Anno's.

If 3.33 is dependent on 4.0 to be a good movie, then it's a complete failure. Just a popular one.
I usually disagree with you but you are spot on in this. Absolutely correct.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
After the disaster that was 3.33, I very much doubt this series can be redeemed. They'll almost have to retcon all of 3.33 has having never happened. It was the worst thing to ever carry the Evangelion name.

I think the love between a boy and his right hand was the worst thing.

KENZICHI wrote:
Still wondering when 3.0 is coming out on dvd in America. I've been wanting to see the English dub for awhile.

Apparently the English dub was not approved by the Japanese company and Funimation is re-dubbing the movie right now
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so NOW the Japanese company is worried about how badly Evangelion's been dubbed. Where were these people for the TV series dub?

(Now I can tick the boxes next to both "bitch about Rebuild 3.33" and "bitch about NGE English dub" on my pedantic jerkwad to do list.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
official story now is that they got the chance to work closely with Anno so they are now redubbing it under his guidance. perhaps Rojas will have more to talk about in a couple weeks when he does the live stream funi is planning
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Are they still using that musical symbol for repeat in the full length movie titles?
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Suena wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Good ideas on storytelling? There wasn't any storytelling in 3.33, that's the problem with it. It was just characters sitting around, musing, and then a brief action piece followed by everybody being exactly the same as they were at the beginning of the film.

Nothing. F***ing. Happens. Not plotwise, not thematically, not with character development. Nothing. It's an hour and half of nothing happening. A complete waste of time.

It's an installment. Like episodes are installments of an overall series. I can think of some stretches in the TV series where not much happened...

Even as an installment, it still has to stand on its own as a movie in of itself, with some kind of narrative. The original Star Wars trilogy was a series of films, but each one was a film that, while they needed the other to be a complete story, were also films in their own right on their own.

Even the previous two Rebuild movies, while obviously dependent on a larger narrative, serving a larger narrative, were each good films as themselves. This third one is a disgrace, a complete betrayal of what the first two films built, especially the second. Three films in, the larger narrative can't afford to derail the momentum as badly as the 3.33 did. Nothing is built up. It's just a slam halt and it comes off as being nothing more than a stall until the conclusion can be finished.

I think there was something incredibly wrong with the production process and they churned out 3.33 to distract us because they realized they didn't have an ending yet, or that something was wrong with it and they scrambled to fix it. There's nothing in 3.33 that feels like it's setting the stage. Shinji is basically the same at the end of 3.33 as he is at the end of 2.22, tired of everybody's bullshit. Just like I'm tired of Anno's.

If 3.33 is dependent on 4.0 to be a good movie, then it's a complete failure. Just a popular one.

Funny you mention Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back was heavily panned in it's initial release and people at the time dubbed it a failure coming after A New Hope it's only with time (and with Lucas losing face with the fans and fellow filmmakers with later installments) that the film gain appreciation as being the best in the franchise but Empire does not work on a narrative standpoint without Return of the Jedi since the ending leaves you on a sour note so it's understandable why fans would be pissed off at the time and why they would be disappointed with the next. installment. I and many others think 3.33 is an interesting film saing there's nothing to it and that the film isn't independent is false since what seems to be the primarily complaint is that the film makes what preceeded it pointless or doesn't build up on them (which is also not true) those familiar with how Anno works should not be surprised by the turn of events that it came about but it's obvious that not everyone was gonna appreciate it
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cannot wait!
Sneakybeagle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Adnae wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
After the disaster that was 3.33, I very much doubt this series can be redeemed. They'll almost have to retcon all of 3.33 has having never happened. It was the worst thing to ever carry the Evangelion name.

Well, I think it's the best movie in japanese animation since a long time.
It's a kind of "Love or hate" movie. Eva-fanboys will hate it and cry "DON'T TOUCH THE ORIGINAL STORYYYYY" and the others will be praising Hideaki Anno for his good ideas about the storytelling and all.

I happened to loooove the original series as i grew up on it and i love what theyve done so far with the movies. No need to flame bout this way that. They are what they are lol enjoy them Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
official story now is that they got the chance to work closely with Anno so they are now redubbing it under his guidance. perhaps Rojas will have more to talk about in a couple weeks when he does the live stream funi is planning

Oh goody. So he gets to screw up every facet of the franchise now?

And it's not Evangelion 4.0 or 4.444 {because 4 is death or some thing} but Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0... not just a sequel movie... sequel but also a reboot of the reboot...

Good god, Anno, please get your head out of your own rectum.

So it's going to be the subtitles minus the "(not)" part? Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Can (not) Unwatch.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to agree with the sentiment that 3.33 was an absolute nothing of a movie. It's like it was made by completely different people from the first two, and was worse than either in every possible way it could have been.

Who was that movie even for exactly?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Apparently the English dub was not approved by the Japanese company and Funimation is re-dubbing the movie right now

You have a source for this?
Gehirn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
There were quite a few crappy episodes of Evangelion but most people judge it as good as a whole, so why not wait and do the same thing with the movie series? That is if people can stop being so bitter, though the same thing would've happened if they just re-did the series into movies, people would've been all "I hate compilation movies why didn't we get something different?".
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

You have a source for this?

ask about the movie on funi's facebook page and this is sort of the same response Michelle will give you
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Gehirn wrote:
There were quite a few crappy episodes of Evangelion but most people judge it as good as a whole, so why not wait and do the same thing with the movie series? That is if people can stop being so bitter, though the same thing would've happened if they just re-did the series into movies, people would've been all "I hate compilation movies why didn't we get something different?".

It's easier to swallow a bad episode of a 26 episode TV series than it is an hour and a half of momentum-killing drudge after an amazing previous movie a few years earlier, and in a series of four movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4