• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing Ultimate [adult swim] broadcast.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Was that hilarious or what? I can't believe they are running fan-dub parodies on Adult Swim now. the English accents were just bonkers. And why was the catholic priest Scottish, of all things? I mean, Irish would work, but there aren't a ton of Catholic Scots.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Are... are you trying to say the English dub for Hellsing Ultimate is bad? Confused

You are the only person who feels this way.

Also, Roman Catholicism is the second largest religious denomination in Scotland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
And why was the catholic priest Scottish, of all things?
Dude, I saw an even funnier version where he's Japanese! I mean how crazy is that...oh wait...

Anyway, I fell asleep after Space Dandy, but hopefully some other night owls managed to tune in.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
For the record, Victoria Harwood (the voice of Sir Integra), was born and raised in the U.K. and Stephen Brand (the voice of Paladin Anderson) is a native-born Scot, so their accents, at least, are naturally-acquired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
They didn't bother me so much, except that the priest was Scottish, which seemed a bit out of place considering that he had neither a Scottish name nor fit the traditional religion of the country. It was a bit like a French ninja, it happens, it just seems odd. But the new girl, Ceres? Wow, that sounded awful. I don't care if she did come from the UK, if so, she came from a bad part of it. I mean, if it was for a throwaway character, fine, but she seemed fairly important to the plot. It also struck me as a little bit odd that with all the other characters having accents, Alucard did not. British would be appropriate since he lived there, or something eastern European, but why did he decide to adopt an American accent?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, nitpicks.

Ohoni wrote:
They didn't bother me so much, except that the priest was Scottish, which seemed a bit out of place considering that he had neither a Scottish name nor fit the traditional religion of the country.

1. Clan Anderson

2. Scotland is 15.9% Roman Catholic and Roman Catholicism, naturally, could be construed as the traditional religion of Scotland as it came before The Kirk. They even fought a series of rebellions to restore a the Roman Catholic Stewart monarchs.

Ohoni wrote:
But the new girl, Ceres? Wow, that sounded awful. I don't care if she did come from the UK, if so, she came from a bad part of it. I mean, if it was for a throwaway character, fine, but she seemed fairly important to the plot.

Seras is portrayed in English by K. T. Gray, who is from Washington, D.C., so her accent is not native. For my part, I think that a an exaggerated accent almost fits a dumb, pulpy series like Hellsing

Ohoni wrote:
It also struck me as a little bit odd that with all the other characters having accents, Alucard did not. British would be appropriate since he lived there, or something eastern European, but why did he decide to adopt an American accent?

Crispin Freeman experimented with a British accent at first, but it, "didn't sound butch enough," and the director rejected the idea of a Romanian accent, although I'm given to understand that he does speak with one in some flashbacks early in episode 8. Perhaps the director believed that the Romanian accent would sound too stereotypical and jokey, more Bela Lugosi in an Ed Wood film than millennium-old menace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
I think that German in The Strain sounds perfectly menacing. It's all about delivery.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Seriously though, not a fan dub? Like, not at all?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Exact same cast that dubbed the TV series, yes. And that dub was very widely-regarded as an excellent one.

And while this version is gorier and better-animated, I still prefer the TV version through OVA episode 2. Its vastly better music and greater sense of style make such a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1