• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass - Discussion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
What are your thoughts on this series?

I came upon this series because I'm a fan of the series' director, Goro Taniguchi, who directed one of my favourite series, Planetes. Anyway, I found the setup and feel to be somewhat reminiscent of Scryed (another Taniguchi anime). I found CLAMP's character design (especially the costumes) too extravagant, especially the Britannian costumes (I'm getting quite irritated by shoulder ruffles -- thanks a lot, Riyoko Ikeda). The plot so far has a few things taken from Planetes in the sense that it's a commentary, criticism, and the telling of the story of imperialism. The Japanese nationalist undertones caused my eyebrow to raise a few times while watching it. Though I have yet to see the context this nationalism comes in, whether it was Japan getting a taste of its own medicine or just playing purely as the victim (which I suspect is the case). Though I did find it amusing that the mecha models are named after Scottish places, Glasgow and Sutherland.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
when i found out that CLAMP will be doing the character design for the series, i was absolutely thrilled and not to mention that this is a joint with sunrise, which means that there's gonna be some mecha stuff in it as well, things are gonna get even more interesting. Well i've never watched Planetes but when i finally got to watch the 1st ep of it, i was rather...disappointed. I cannot seem to see the originality in it either. But i guess i'll be keeping up with it for a few more episodes (i've watched the 2nd and 3rd...)and see where it's headed. But i'm really not sure if i'm gonna finish this one or not.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the mecha action was cool but the premise is too ridiculous. In 2010 there'll be some grand "Britainian Empire" that will invade the "neutral" Japan and then treat them like the Japanese would treat the people they conquer? Please. I love Japan and all, but sometimes their jingoistic tendancies get the better of them.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I saw this in one of the Newtypes that came out in the past couple of months and the way they wrote about it, seemed interesting. But then again...I have yet to see a negative main article (or review) about something that appears in their magazine.

Three negative opinions about it. Not looking good to stay on my "Want to see" list.
Afax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
The show is actually pretty damn good and I had huge expectations since Goro Taniguchi is one of my favorite directors. It doesn't shy away from from solving it's situations with extreme results and the main character of Lelouch is by far one of the most interesting of the season.

The mecha fights are fantastically animated, and somehow even an episode based on a school setting was just as tense and exciting as the previous mecha based episode. It's of course building upon some well known cliches of the genre atm, but it all depends on how it all builds upon it, and I have confidence in the writers to do a good job.

It's pretty much a top tier series in all it's facets as of now, direction and plot and characters.

I think some people are just taking the political part of it the wrong way, the whole thing is so far out of reality, whatever political statement the producer wanted to get across can't possibly have an effect.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
Well i've never watched Planetes but when i finally got to watch the 1st ep of it, i was rather...disappointed. I cannot seem to see the originality in it either. But i guess i'll be keeping up with it for a few more episodes (i've watched the 2nd and 3rd...)and see where it's headed. But i'm really not sure if i'm gonna finish this one or not.

Off-topic: Goro Tanaguchi also did another realistic space show, Infinite Ryvius, but that focused more on a Lord of the Flies scenario rather than the space exploration. I'm in the middle of Planetes right now and while I don't think it's the greatest show ever made, the realistic depiction of space travel alone is enough to keep me watching. There are a lot of good episodes that deal with real problems in space (they got NASA personnel as technical advisors) like radiation sickness, disorientation when going to and from zero-g and many others. Many of the episodes pull some very good drama from these problems. It depends on how much of a space-geek you are as to how interesting it is.

Since the new show just started airing in Japan, I guess it will be quite a while before I watch it.

Last edited by varmintx on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass is one of my favorite series right now. So far, the only negative comments I've read about the series is about how unrealistic it is or how offensive it is to certain people. In my opinion, if you're going to judge an entire series based on those factors, you wouldn't make a very good reviewer.

I like how Code Geass goes Death Note-style in episode 3. The action and plot development in episodes 1 and 2 were pretty awesome, but episode 3 just takes the cake.
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
So far, the only negative comments I've read about the series is about how unrealistic it is or how offensive it is to certain people. In my opinion, if you're going to judge an entire series based on those factors, you wouldn't make a very good reviewer.

Yes. It was pretty irresponsible of me to not mention anything about the animation and the production value. It is a series by Goro Taniguchi, so you're going to get some top-notch animation, especially the mecha. If the mecha are CG, then this is by far the best effort of blending the animation style with the CG. If they aren't, then even better. So far, I have only seen the first episode, but so far, my reaction is lukewarm.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually am likeing this series, mostly because of the animation quality and the mechs...I'm a big mech fan. It also helps that the story is actually interesting in the way it was set up. I mean the Britainian Empire heh didn't see that comin but its interesting. I like the Main characters personality to which is a plus its something I will probably finish and not have to force my self so far (which is 4 episodes in).
trebors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
my thought? hmm i think this anime is almost the same as death note like both of them received power and using their intelligent to use it and both of them are good strategist
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1