• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You know what I find curious? Why is it that Stuart Smith, Lavnovice, DavetheUsher (and lets be honest, Jave AKA iloveturkey if he hadn't just been banned)...literally the exact same handful of guys who constantly show up in basically every topic on the forums to somehow turn it into a question of Japanese superiority...are also the same ones who immediately rush to the forums to scoff, make excuses, and otherwise deny the existence of any sort of bigotry or racism? I just wonder what's up with that? You'd think they'd gladly spin this into their narrative: "Racist, gun crazy America! Japan is so much better!" Lord knows they do with everything else. But no, evidently, defending racism trumps their Japansturbating. Go figure.

Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if this person defend Japan's xenophobia and racism. I'm not sure if he's aware of this:

I mean yeah, this is very rampart in Japan:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if this person defend Japan's xenophobia and racism. I'm not sure if he's aware of this

Ironically you're the guy who always talks about Kroean superiority and never misses a beat to rag on Japan about it just like ikillchicken. Kinda ironic as well Rolling Eyes

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
So you are saying two people from other countries are going to tell us, who live in America day to day that the cops won't shoot you while you walk around with a sword on your back? America is paranoid. If you "see something say something" has made it's rounds.

If my internet lingo is up to snuff, it's called "mansplaining". Explaining done by people who aren't the target of the subject. People who don't even live in America have a pretty skewed perception of this kind of thing I'd imagine.

I only posted a picture as a response to someone not resorting to mob mentality and daring to think a crime might not be a hate crime and maybe it was just incompetence or actual probably cause, and suddenly I'm saying "racism doesn't exist" Talk about putting words in my mouth...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if this person defend Japan's xenophobia and racism. I'm not sure if he's aware of this

Ironically you're the guy who always talks about Kroean superiority and never misses a beat to rag on Japan about it just like ikillchicken. Kinda ironic as well Rolling Eyes

So you're saying it's OK for Japanese to discriminate against foreigner and throwing racism against non-Japanese Asian just like you're saying Japan is better then USA. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
... have a pretty skewed perception of this kind of thing I'd imagine.

Indeed, trying to explain this kind of things to amurricans is like trying to explain to some japanese why killing dolphins is bad, they are totally "You do not understand gaijin" -_-;
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Indeed, trying to explain this kind of things to amurricans is like trying to explain to some japanese why killing dolphins is bad, they are totally "You do not understand gaijin" -_-;

Or an Indian telling Americans why killing cows are bad Laughing But we do it anyway.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So you're saying it's OK for Japanese to discriminate against foreigner and throwing racism against non-Japanese Asian just like you're saying Japan is better then USA. Rolling Eyes

mdo7, are you aware Korea is a very racist country? Moreso than Japan is? I'm genuinely curious if you do, because you seem to have a fascination with them and will never hesitate to call Japan or western posters on the forums as racists or hypocrities, but never mention Korea's problems. You usually post lots of links and pictures depicting Japan's problems to an almost unhealthy degree I have to wonder if it's an obsession. Korea has a notoriously poor reputation when it comes to racism.

Regardless, this topic is about the unfortunate death of a man, not racism or Japan or Korea. I'm not sure why you or ikillchicken find any edge you can to bring up Japan. This is not the first time I've seen you two do this and find it a bit concerning. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and hold ikillchicken mostly responsible for it, and I find it very insensitive he saw this thread as an opportunity to bring it up again despite the tragic events. No agenda is worth disrespecting a deceased person.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know about everyone else but I think we should wait until all the facts come in. This is a sad story all around. I've been watching on the news about what's been going on in Ferguson,Missouri. And there are people here jumping to conclusions before all the facts are in. It's a shame that this happened. What a shame. Such a sad story.

I am waiting to learn more, too. I don't get why this guy was shot so many times, if he was indeed running away and not posing a threat.

mangamuscle wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
People have to be licensed to carry arms, and even then, you have laws about whether you have to conceal a weapon or not. Then there's a question of if you are using that weapon within your rights. Being a legal gun owner, for instance, does not mean you can go around your neighborhood holding the weapon in your hand, making the neighbors nervous.

I have given the links that talk about how it was legal for the cosplayer to have such blade. We have yet to see proof of him brandishing the weapon and I have yet to see you provide any link that says that him carrying said weapon in Utah is illegal..

"In the United States it is legal to own the 3- to 5-foot-long, curved blades known as Samurai swords, but every state in the union has laws forbidding people from carrying them in public."

From the news articles I have read about this killing, the deceased was carrying an ornamental sword, not a knife. It's at least 2 feet long.

Here's part of an article I read today.

"Hunt’s aunt, Cindy Moss, previously told the Guardian that a witness to the confrontation with police had told the family that Hunt “had his earbuds in, and was kind of doing spins and stuff, like pretending he’s a samurai”."

If this is true, can I do this? Can I, an adult, go into the street and spin around with a sword? Is that legal? Is it legal to do with any bladed weapon?

Last edited by YotaruVegeta on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know about everyone else but I think we should wait until all the facts come in. This is a sad story all around. I've been watching on the news about what's been going on in Ferguson,Missouri. And there are people here jumping to conclusions before all the facts are in. It's a shame that this happened. What a shame. Such a sad story.

I am waiting to learn more, too. I don't get why this guy was shot so many times, if he was indeed running away and not posing a threat.

This is, probably, the only time I've ever agreed with Snomaster1 about anything.

At any rate, one possibility is that the cops may have viewed him as "armed and dangerous" if he still had his "sword" while he was running away (if that is, indeed, what he was doing). They may have considered him a menace to the area and decided to take him down on that basis. But, yes, this is speculation on my part.

I hope we get some follow-up info about what happened at some point, because based on what little we have now, I'd say the cops involved have some explaining to do, possibly before a jury of their peers.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Or an Indian telling Americans why killing cows are bad Laughing But we do it anyway.

The proper analogy would be that local law enforcement is eating away (like it is some delicious steak) at your rights and your response is "Let them do it, you do not know jack" -_-;

YotaruVegeta wrote:

I provide quotes to Utah laws and and site dedicated to laws about knifes(blades) in Utah and you provide a quote from ehow.com, I mean, really?

Quote:
From the news articles I have read about this killing, the deceased was carrying an ornamental sword, not a knife. It's at least 2 feet long.

By the law of Utah it was classified as a knife, pure and simple, that info is the links I previously provided..

Quote:
Here's part of an article I read today.

"Hunt’s aunt, Cindy Moss, previously told the Guardian that a witness to the confrontation with police had told the family that Hunt “had his earbuds in, and was kind of doing spins and stuff, like pretending he’s a samurai”."

If this is true, can I do this? Can I, an adult, go into the street and spin around with a sword? Is that legal? Is it legal to do with any bladed weapon?

So he was doing a performance with a blunt sword and was killed for it? He might have broken the law if the county requires any street performer to ask for permission and maybe pay a fee. Yes, you should be able to legally do the same, but in soviet amurrica you too can be killed for it (supposing race had nothing to do with the incident).

Hey, This street performer also used a blade for his act Anime hyper
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Been seeing a lot of complaints lodged about this thread. Just read through a lot of it and saw innumerable off-topic ramblings and accusations of racism.

If you can't play nice (and stay on topic), people, then you won't be allowed to play at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
lostrune wrote:

So he was doing a performance with a blunt sword and was killed for it? He might have broken the law if the county requires any street performer to ask for permission and maybe pay a fee. Yes, you should be able to legally do the same, but in soviet amurrica you too can be killed for it (supposing race had nothing to do with the incident).

Hey, This street performer also used a blade for his act Anime hyper

Just because I quote something from a place other than the direct source does not necessarily mean that it's incorrect. Whether what I quoted was right or wrong, the point is that there are limits to your lawful ownership of a bladed weapon. I cannot live in Utah, own a butterfly knife, then go into a supermarket, stabbing the air. Not even if I am cosplaying. As far as I know, there is no costume clause in Utah weapons law.

By the way, how are you turning this into a "performance?" Where did you manufacture that from? I've never even read the family say "He was just out there performing" I read them say that "He was going through a rough time" Implying to me that he might've been blowing off steam, or having a moment in public. We can assume that he was performing, but no witness to this has made it sound as if he was performing.

It sounds to me, so far, that cosplaying was what made this guy feel comfortable. I think that's true of many cosplayers, right? I remember when I was a little nerd in high school, I'd wear my coat a little too long after it was necessary. That was somehow comforting to me, to wear that.

Now if he took it further than just being a cosplayer who happened to carry a sword, we need to know.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Stabbing the air in a supermarket is beyond brandishing and into menacing territory. At any rate, unless it's clear you're putting on a performance, wielding a weapon in public is a health risk, cops or no cops.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Just because I quote something from a place other than the direct source does not necessarily mean that it's incorrect. Whether what I quoted was right or wrong, the point is that there are limits to your lawful ownership of a bladed weapon. I cannot live in Utah, own a butterfly knife, then go into a supermarket, stabbing the air. Not even if I am cosplaying. As far as I know, there is no costume clause in Utah weapons law.

That is not what happened; looks to me you are trying to justify the illegal angle no matter what, you are grasping at straws. As it stands if the police had given him a presentation order, such charges would have been dismissed like the ones against the guy with the maseratti "impersonating" a police officer.

Quote:
By the way, how are you turning this into a "performance?"

Lets review the facts:

1) He was wearing a costume (which btw, did not cover his face)
2) He in broad daylight on an open space near a popular venue, but not inside a parking lot or private space.

If he was cutting some air with his sword, that is what I call a performance. I he did no unsheath his sword at all, then he was just walking in the street like any private citizen.
What is clear to me is that he wanted to be seen by people and to be recognized.

Quote:
Now if he took it further than just being a cosplayer who happened to carry a sword, we need to know.

When people go crazy (like I have read so many times happens in the USA) killing people, they do not wear a costume and they either get some firearm(s) and/or some other weapon they can conceal (not a sword, which albeit intimidating, it is unpractical; they can be disarmed by a mere police baton). This incident does not fit the profile of an insane individual attempting to kill as many people as possible.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Lets review the facts:

1) He was wearing a costume (which btw, did not cover his face)
2) He in broad daylight on an open space near a popular venue, but not inside a parking lot or private space.

If he was cutting some air with his sword, that is what I call a performance. I he did no unsheath his sword at all, then he was just walking in the street like any private citizen.
What is clear to me is that he wanted to be seen by people and to be recognized.

I feel that Darrien was doing this because he enjoyed cosplaying, not that he was putting on a performance to gain a public audience. Of course, it's still too soon to tell.

mangamuscle wrote:
When people go crazy (like I have read so many times happens in the USA) killing people, they do not wear a costume and they either get some firearm(s) and/or some other weapon they can conceal (not a sword, which albeit intimidating, it is unpractical; they can be disarmed by a mere police baton). This incident does not fit the profile of an insane individual attempting to kill as many people as possible.

I didn't know there was only one flavor of crazy. We don't even know if he "went crazy." He might've just walked away from the cops, despite being asked to put down his weapon.

That brings up an issue for me: What was the mental health of this guy? I only know that there was an old incident where Darrien was caught up in some domestic dispute.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="mdo7"]
ikillchicken wrote:

I mean yeah, this is very rampart in Japan:

I've been sat right next to in a train when there were plenty of other free seats and have also offered my place to others, whether elderly or just 2 people wanting to sit next to each other, and was thanked for doing so (white gaijin 5'4"/160cm, less than 65kg, and minimal Nihongo).

I don't doubt that there are problems sometimes, but politeness is infectious.

Trying to return to topic, I hope that any other official findings from this case are published on ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13