• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

I've been sat right next to in a train when there were plenty of other free seats and have also offered my place to others, whether elderly or just 2 people wanting to sit next to each other, and was thanked for doing so (white gaijin 5'4"/160cm, less than 65kg, and minimal Nihongo).

I don't doubt that there are problems sometimes, but politeness is infectious.

Not to go off topic, but you're very lucky from reading your post. Did you have any problem during your time in Japan??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
My older brother is ex-military and that cops are under trained and very trigger happy, with everything going on, I agree with him.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much as expected. No notion of any imminent danger. So sad that an innocent life was taken by stupid cops who will get a paid vacation for a bit and then put right back on the force (possibly transferred to another area)
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
If you find people who jump to conclusions to be vile, I hope that your assumptions about what action is being taken against these cops has any truth to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's an extremely well-educated prediction, not an assumption.

If there were video then it would be different.

Just watch this video if you haven't yet.

Do you see the guy profusely apologizing for being shot at by a cop for simply trying to get his license? Do you not understand how completely screwed up that is?

This is why mandatory cameras on police officers is a must. Had this not been recorded then the cop could have claimed that he thought the man was reaching for a gun and would have been cleared after a paid vacation. The video camera saw justice that the stupid cop was publicly humiliated for his stupidity and lost his job and was rightfully arrested for assault and will hopefully never work at a "protector of the peace" ever again.

This is a very large problem, and the first thing to solving it is to accept that it is a very large problem, and so far, it mostly deals with Caucasian officers firing at African Americans with little reason to do so.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
It boils down to "Please do something about it." If not, why talk about it? It will continue to happen. These people will never change, period.

PERIOD! History will repeat itself, nothing will change.

Let it go.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's an extremely well-educated prediction, not an assumption.

If there were video then it would be different.

Just watch this video if you haven't yet.

Do you see the guy profusely apologizing for being shot at by a cop for simply trying to get his license? Do you not understand how completely screwed up that is?

This is why mandatory cameras on police officers is a must. Had this not been recorded then the cop could have claimed that he thought the man was reaching for a gun and would have been cleared after a paid vacation. The video camera saw justice that the stupid cop was publicly humiliated for his stupidity and lost his job and was rightfully arrested for assault and will hopefully never work at a "protector of the peace" ever again.

This is a very large problem, and the first thing to solving it is to accept that it is a very large problem, and so far, it mostly deals with Caucasian officers firing at African Americans with little reason to do so.

Sean Groubert was fired for his actions and charged with assault. He may face prison time. You said, previously, that people like this would get paid leave, then come back to work. So do people get removed from their jobs, or get suspended until the heat dies down?

If you're saying that having more cameras, such as cameras on the officers themselves, is needed these days, you are absolutely correct. With the technology we have, murder involving cops should not still rely on "He said, she said."
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

If you're saying that having more cameras, such as cameras on the officers themselves, is needed these days, you are absolutely correct. With the technology we have, murder involving cops should not still rely on "He said, she said."

After this incident and what happened in Ferguson, Mssouri, I support the idea of having cops wearing body camera to reduce the "he said, she said" claim and possible fake/tempered evidences (ie:"doctored" videos) used against the cop in question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Sean Groubert was fired for his actions and charged with assault. He may face prison time. You said, previously, that people like this would get paid leave, then come back to work. So do people get removed from their jobs, or get suspended until the heat dies down?"

That depends if there is a public video available showing the officer's stupidity. If there isn't (such as this case in Utah) then it it's much more likely that the officer will get suspended until the heat dies down or reassigned to a different area.

In fact, the reason I posted that video and stated what happened to the cop in South Carolina was to show the benefit of cameras on police officers. Much harder to say "He was lunging at me" or "I thought he was reaching for a gun" when there is contrary video evidence just showing that the cop was stupid and should not be anywhere near a firearm.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Why you shouldn't believe cops. I've also had experience with them outright lying in a citation for my relative. This is store security footage of John Crawford, mentioned in the source articles here, disproving claims by cops, who was in a Walmart checking out a pellet gun.
http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/25/video-proves-cops-shot-guy-in-walmart
Quote:
The police maintained that Crawford had refused orders to drop the weapon; the video footage proves definitively that that was not the case—the cops shot the man almost immediately after encountering him. Claims in some media outlets that Crawford had been walking around the store and pointing the gun at people also seem false, unless those occurrences happened during the few seconds that Crawford was out of range of the surveillance camera.

Nevertheless, a grand jury declined to indict the two officers involved, according to The Huffington Post. The U.S. Department of Justice will look into the matter, however.

However, while racial profiling does play a role in some situations, generally the root cause is NOT matter of race. Just plain and simple police abuse because of the fact that there are two sets of rules. One for government, and another for private citizens.

Exact same circumstances of shooting a person for a traffic violation as the video above, misjudgements, except the victim is white:
http://reason.com/blog/2014/03/14/dashcam-video-released-in-police-shootin
Quote:
Last month, Terrence Knox, a sheriff’s deputy in York County, South Carolina, shot 70-year-old Bobby Canipe during a traffic stop over expired plates. Canipe reached into his truck bed for his cane, and Knox fired several shots at Canipe, hitting him once in the lung. Canipe survived the shooting, and Knox was put on paid leave. This week, dashcam video of the incident was released. Watch below:

Kelly Thomas, the homeless man in CA who was beaten to death, and whose officers were judged "innocent" by jurors, was white. And here's a recent case in Utah, where an unarmed white kid gets killed by officers. All because of wrong perceptions:
http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/02/da-releases-footage-of-august-police-sho

Quote:
Dillon TaylorFacebook photoOn August 11, Officer Bron Cruz of Salt Lake City, Utah, shot and killed 20-year-old Dillon Taylor, who was unarmed, because Taylor fit the description of a 911 caller reporting a group of men flashing a handgun, according to the district attorney, who ruled the shooting justified. The D.A. said Taylor and two friends he was with were “making a scene” before approached by cops, according to the SaltLake Tribune, which reports:

Oh and speaking of wrong tips, here's another incident (again, not black):
http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/03/deadly-drug-raid-over-meth-that-wasnt-th
Quote:
family photofamily photoIn Georgia, Laurens County deputies raided the home of David Hooks on a search warrant claiming there could be meth at the house. Why did police believe there was meth there? Because someone who stole a car from Hooks’ property told them so. Via 13WMAZ:

More reminscent of Kelly Thomas:
http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/29/albuquerque-cop-caught-on-dash-cam-sayin
Quote:
Albuquerque Cop Caught on Dash Cam Saying He’d Shoot "[expletive] Lunatic" in the Penis Hours Before Cops Fatally Shoot the Homeless Camper

http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/01/police-fire-80-rounds-at-schizophrenic-m
Quote:
videoHere's a police shooting in Laredo, Texas, that happened in late August that I just got a wind of now. Its details are, sadly, pretty typical in questionable police shootings. The victim, Jose Walter Garza, was a schizophrenic. Cops from the Laredo Police Department in Texas unloaded at least 80 rounds at Garza after he made a "threatening gesture" with what turned out to be a replica handgun. Six officers were involved.

Those trigger-happy mofos are much more of a threat to pulic safety than anyone who mental person unfortunately snaps. This is NOT hyperbole when I say that shooting deaths and mass shooting occur by cops more than anyone else. Aside from the case of chasing Chris Dorner where cops unloaded hundreds of rounds on three innocent victims (2 women in a blue Toyota truck, and 1 guy in a Honda SUV), here's just one of hundreds of examples that goes on unreported by national media every year:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/05/how-do-you-charge-an-unarmed-man-with-sh
Quote:
How Do You Charge an Unarmed Man with Shooting People? Get the NYPD Involved.

Surprised they didn't demand the women they shot pay to replace the bulletsCredit: Giacomo Barbaro / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SAIn September, New York Police officers responded to an emotionally disturbed man causing a ruckus at a Times Square bus terminal by opening fire on him while they were surrounded by crowds and traffic. They missed him and hit two innocent bystanders (one of whom was in a walker). Police said at the time they thought the man, Glenn Broadnax, was reaching for a gun, but he turned out to be unarmed.

Even though Broadnax was not armed, an indictment unsealed Wednesday is charging him with assault for the injuries caused by police gunfire. From the New York Times:

And yes, the law allows cops to blame other people for their mistakes.

And while once in a blue-moon, some police may actually be legally punished, the vast vast majority are not. I do not mean whether they are investigated, since investigations are simply a formality. I also do not mean being fired. Do you think you could get away with murder by simply loosing your job?

I also do not mean being charged or being the target of an indictment. In almost all cases, Grand Jurors will refuse to indict a cop -- see John Crawford case cited above. And when they actually do, jurors refuse to find them guilty--see Kelly Thomas case.

Here's the moral lesson to take away from this:
Never Call the Cops Unless You Want Someone Killed: Iowa Man Reports Truck His Teen Son Took as Stolen, Police Kill Teen Son [UPDATED with Link to Dashboard Cam Video]

(Again, he was white, and no, nothing happened to the cop afterward aside from the usual "investigation" and paid leave)
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Please tell me this is true, because during Ferguson there was allegation that the police made up evidence about Michael Brown. So until we know the real truth what happened, that link you put is to be treated as not reliable because we don't know if the police is telling the truth or not (as configspace stated).
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
I share headlines as soon as I get them. Updates on this case have been few and far between. Within a month, I feel that the whole incident will be reconstructed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I share headlines as soon as I get them. Updates on this case have been few and far between. Within a month, I feel that the whole incident will be reconstructed.

Yeah, well I hope the real truth come out, I hope this incident doesn't become another Ferguson, and to the point where the FBI have to be called in to find out what really happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13