• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Some law enforcement agencies have tasers while others are not allowed to carry them for fear of over use or the sometimes medical problems caused on certain individuals with health problems.

Besides getting close enough for a taser and missing with a suspect with a supposed katana is not a great idea.

Couple years ago a guy with a katana replica that was sharp and could cut who was mental, flipped out and be-headed some of his co-workers and he was shot to death by Police to stop his rampage.

Look as I said the kid should not have been open carrying the sword in public even though it was just a replica and even though it was legal. If it wasn't in a sheath then he was breaking the law and had every right to be stopped and cited even arrested. You are not allowed to hold any bladed weapon in public outside of certain permited events etc. He was probably brandishing whether he knew he was or not, and scarred someone who had a hissy fit and they called the Police on him.

As for the Yoshihiro incident that has nothing to do with racism or even the Police and is not even remotely similar to this incident. In that case a Japanese exchange student who barely knew English and was with his school buddies going to a party. But they got the wrong house knocked and no one answered. When they left to leave the home owner fearing that it was burglars opened his front door to have a look with a gun in hand. When Yoshihiro saw the door open he assumed it was the right house and approached the door again even though the home owner told him to stop or he would shoot him. He was shot to death and the homeowner was cleared due to castle doctrine.

After that incident Japanese exchange students where taught the English words Stop etc. Now that was a incident that could have been avoided it the homeowner stayed inside and called Police but in his state you don't have to retreat and hide and because the homeowner wanted to be Dirty Harry/Charles Bronson he has to live the rest of his life with killing a innocent kid.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Stink bombs and tear gas might not be lethal to certain people but lethal to others.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
Why aren't the major news networks like CNN reporting this?

They Don't Care

Ferguson would like to disagree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Look as I said the kid should not have been open carrying the sword in public even though it was just a replica and even though it was legal.

Why not? What is the point of having the right to arms if you do not exercise it?

Quote:
If it wasn't in a sheath then he was breaking the law

LIES! Whether the blade was in a sheath or not is of no consequence. please do tell me where it state that it is illegal.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
You don't exercise a right to make a point or thumb your nose at everyone because you can. Then get mad or upset when someone calls the police and you are harassed and stopped/detained for doing nothing wrong then complain about. Tell me why a person would have a genuine need in his every day life to carry a sword on their person?

As for the sheath I looked up that website as well and even though it doesn't state it, my state as well also allows open carry of bladed weapons including swords with no restrictions on blade length as long as it's in a sheath. Look suppose you open carry a sword no sheath and cut or accidently stab someone in line or when passing them by walking. Do you say sorry you should have stayed out of my way because I'm exercising my rights? You would be liable for their injuries and would go to jail.

Same thing when open carrying a handgun. In my state it was legal but in other states where it still is legal it has to be in a holster 24/7 unless you are using it to defend yourself. They don't want people waiving it around scaring people are accidently hurting someone. Get the point if I'm holding a sword in no sheath it has the potential to hurt someone since it's unsecured. And of course some ninny will call the cops on you in a heart beat.

Last edited by Dfens on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle Blaming us for your gun crime levels is real dumb, y'know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation#Mexico

Take responsibility for your own actions, rather than blaming us. Mexican gun violence is on your own neck, just like how our country should be responsible for its importation of guns. To quote/rephrase Archfiend, "America is bad, but is Mexico worse"? Yes, it is. Mexico is a first world nation, as are all OECD nations. It has a shit ton of gun homicide far higher than the US with less guns per capita and with most of those guns being your own. We may love guns, but clearly we don't as much as you. You cannot lecture us on morality or corruption, because yours is far, far worse. You can show how bad we are, but every piece of evidence points to Mexico being significantly worse and it's a fact. Clean up your own shit before telling us to cleans ours up.

PS, I'm a girl. Razz

@Big Kahuna Where does this happen to Asians? It doesn't, because they behave themselves. They commit 3% of all shooting in NYC, whilst being approximately 12% of the population. As I said before, the "rednecks" commit FAR less gun murders than blacks, especially on blacks. We can be sad for this guy's death, but we have to remember the facts. The facts are the far greater of two is ignored as trivial, whilst a lesser evil is glorified. Why is this?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
You don't exercise a right to make a point or thumb your nose at everyone because you can. Then get mad or upset when someone calls the police and you are harassed and stopped/detained for doing nothing wrong then complain about. Tell me why a person would have a genuine need in his every day life to carry a sword on their person?

Strawman much? Nowhere was it stated that the cosplayer was doing this as part of his daily routine, but I insist, he has as much right as those people legally bearing firearms with them as part of their daily routine.

Quote:
As for the sheath I looked up that website as well and even though it doesn't state it, my state as well also allows open carry of bladed weapons including swords with no restrictions on blade length as long as it's in a sheath. Look suppose you open carry a sword no sheath and cut or accidentally stab someone in line or when passing them by walking. Do you say sorry you should have stayed out of my way because I'm exercising my rights? You would be liable for their injuries and would go to jail.

Again, this has nothing to do with the incident and you would need to tackle the cosplayer to receive any kind of wound from the non sharpened sword he has carrying in his back, remember this happened in Utah, not in a crowded urban area.

Quote:
Same thing when open carrying a handgun. In my state it was legal but in other states where it still is legal it has to be in a holster 24/7 unless you are using it to defend yourself. They don't want people waiving it around scaring people are accidentally hurting someone. Get the point if I'm holding a sword in no sheath it has the potential to hurt someone since it's unsecured. And of course some ninny will call the cops on you in a heart beat.

The chances of hurting someone accidentally with an non sharpened sword in your back are were about the same as with carrying a big, heavy box, so quit the whining.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Xshinobi wrote:
Do law enforcement officers in the USA not have access to non lethal methods to deal with people? It seems like anytime law enforcement is called in the USA the first thing they lead with is a firearm.

Standard procedure when dealing with a weapon toting criminals isn't to wound them or do non lethal take-downs, it is to neutralize them.

If he was just mouthing off then yeah, they'd just taser his ass. But if he has a weapon, especially in his hand and advancing on them, they're going to use guns.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Clean up your own shit before telling us to cleans ours up.

So that is what amurrica has come to? No one can tell us we are wrong unless they deem them to be better and of course, if we deem worthy we will make more excuses rather than accept we are in the wrong. Quite pathetic.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Why does every arrest and death of an African American have to be because of racist reasons?
Has anybody maybe thought that those cops are just idiots and suck as officers?

The government should just make a law that police shouldn't be able to touch and say anything to African Americans... Maybe that will make them happy.

Neutral
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:

Which doesn't really mean much about what he was doing - I've ended up on the ground at taserpoint because an idiot decided my umbrella in a bag looked like a rifle and called it in.

I only mentioned it since it seemed like several people didn't even know why the police showed up to begin with.

As for using other less-lethal approaches, some officials in the district this happened in stated that they didn't use tasers because "they're not 100% and what if we missed." The problem with that statement is most tasers are good up to 15ft and there are some models that can fire multiple shots before having to change the cartridges.

That said, in some areas where they were introduced there was a decrease in police shooting suspects with real guns, while in others the rate the police shot suspects remained the same with or without them and they used the tasers for situations that wouldn't warrant them (such as tasing that eleven year old for not listening to her parents).

The issue then isn't so much what weapons they have at their disposal as it is the police are just getting out of control in general. If there were more accountability all around this would help alleviate the problem somewhat. A good start is, as was mentioned earlier, to force all officers to wear cameras on their chests. This was shown to work in reducing these kinds of situations a significant amount in areas where the system was implemented.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Why does every arrest and death of an African American have to be because of racist reasons?
Has anybody maybe thought that those cops are just idiots and suck as officers?|

That's a fair statement, I can see where you're coming from...

Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:

Not every one is because of racist reasons of course. Why do you think it every case has to be just to spotlight a huuuuge problem in America that minorities have to deal with constantly? Are you saying that because not every case is fueled by racism that it's all hunky-dory and therefore it should be ignored? What point are you trying to make?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
A good start is, as was mentioned earlier, to force all officers to wear cameras on their chests. This was shown to work in reducing these kinds of situations a significant amount in areas where the system was implemented.

That would be a real paradigm shift. But let's not stop there, make the police badge THE camera. Also make it into a microphone, whatever the officer says while on duty should be transmitted (and recorded). Include also a gps, so any investigation can now for sure in what place the officer was. Also put in there his personal radio so he can be reachable by a higher authority no matter the situation. Also transmit his heartbeat to know if he is in a situation of danger even if he can't speak. last but not least use the police radio frequency to send still images of the camera, so if the badge is somehow lost there are still images of what the officer was doing at the time.

p.s. Make the police badge to be the ignition key (via a small cable that would also recharge the battery) of the patrol car, no badge, no police car.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle you are obviously just don't get it. I have the right in my state to open carry a rifle as I please so long as it's in a sling and slung over my shoulder or chest. Also as long as the owner of the private property doesn't ask me to leave it's perfectly legal. So why don't I go to my gun safe and latter today go shopping with my AR-15 around my back and scare the sheeple and even though it's legal to do so. And if the Police show up to question me because some soccer mom didn't know it's legal and was scarred, I should expect to be hassled.

So if I want to carry a firearm on my person for personal defense it would be more prudent to carry a concealed handgun then a full size out in the open rifle wouldn't you say?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13