• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf Girl & Black Prince (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Kyouya still so mean..
spoiler[Valentine's Day] preparations.
spoiler[Kusakabe] is an interesting character.
Even I thought he was a girl at first.
spoiler[Kyouya] showed some jealousy.
Guess he doesn't like when spoiler[Erika hangs with other guys.]
She did overdo it this time.. and her attitude backfired.
spoiler[Kusakabe's got guts.
Erika heard every word of Kyouya's "feelings" for her.]

Damn, next episode should be very interesting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kyouya is one of those anime characters that prove that good looking people can get away with anything and still have people lining up to be their friends and lovers. Even moreso than people with money.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Sorry Kyouya, but if he can't spoiler[be the least bit honest with jis feelings], only show frustration spoiler[out of jealousy and take it out on her], then he really does spoiler[not deserve her]. Kusakabe seems spoiler[like a nice boy, and good on her for giving him a hand at increasing his self esteem].

Frustratingly we know that Erika will go with Kyouya because they are made for each other or something. Some teasing can be fine, but right now it is all his own fault, and close to saying it would be her own fault for staying. To be honest, I have rarely seen things like this play out.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
I know that she won't end up with Kusakabe, but a girl can dream.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Frustratingly we know that Erika will go with Kyouya because they are made for each other or something. Some teasing can be fine, but right now it is all his own fault, and close to saying it would be her own fault for staying. To be honest, I have rarely seen things like this play out.

But Kyouya clearly has issues. So that makes all his abuse alright.

Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
If only anime could actually surprise us where the main character decides to not go with what looks like the main love interest because it is clearly unhealthy. Actually there was one that did that, and it is like an example of a trashy anime.

The sad thing is that it kind of makes me afraid that a young girl would follow the anime and stay with the guy that treats her like a pet because he is good on the inside.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
I was ready to drop this when spoiler[Erika started wondering if the fight with Kyouya had been her fault], but I'm so gladspoiler[ she ultimately stood her ground and got mad about it instead of feeling sorry. That Takeru also confronted Kyouka on his assholiness was good too because it shows the writers do not justify Kyouya's actions.] I'm already fed up with Kyouya's bullshit, but I've already accepted he's "the one", so all I can do is feel bad for Kusakabe. I just wish the series would tune down his assholery for a bit, what he pulled last week was not only unforgivable but utterly despicable, and his jealous jerkiness is going too far this week. Like I'd really like one episode in he at least tried to be jerkily nice instead of just jerkily jerk.

Also, Takeru needs way more screentime
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Argh this episode pissed me off spoiler[just get together with Kusakabe instead of that arsehole] At least Kyoya's friend called him out on his crap. No doubt there's a tragic backstory which explains why he's such a twat.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Weren't all of you guys expecting this?

Erika falls for the guy who treats her like a dog, and will friendzone the nice guy Kusakabe who is willing to be there for her. We've seen it a zillion times but this anime plays it nearly perfectly I think.

Erika will go with Kyouya because he 1) is a challenge, 2) he may maltreat her but she won't be bored, and 3) he has status. He has the sperm her genes are telling to get for her ovaries.

Kyouya is a nice guy but 1) there is no reason for Erika to respect him, 2) he will get boring quickly, and 3) he is very low on the social ladder. Her instincts tell her he doesn't give the best chance for her offspring.

"I'll level up from dog to a girlfriend." That's a pretty good LOL line.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Kusakabe strikes me as sort of a weakling.

Kyouya is confident and sure of himself, of course he's going to get women easily. He's not a bad guy either, he's just not the weakling "nice guy" that similar-minded weaklings see in themselves. He's a bit of a sadist, but not in an abusive sense. He doesn't seem like he'd give a girl a more difficult relationship than she could handle, if that makes sense.

Kusakabe doesn't seem like a bad guy either, but he's not going to draw a lot of romantic interest. Being overly nice and pitiful aren't exactly big selling points. Women don't date guys they feel sorry for.

I suppose my point is, if you don't want to be treated like the pitiful friend character, stop acting like one....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Kyouya is confident and sure of himself, of course he's going to get women easily. He's not a bad guy either, he's just not the weakling "nice guy" that similar-minded weaklings see in themselves. He's a bit of a sadist, but not in an abusive sense. He doesn't seem like he'd give a girl a more difficult relationship than she could handle, if that makes sense.

Did you watch last week? He pretty much toyed with her emotions, he made a mockery of her feelings by making her think he felt a certain way before saying it was all an act. That is more than just being a teasing sadist, at the very least they had been honest with each other. but if he is going to pull crap like that how can she trust anything he says.

Plus he knew that she tried hard to make him something, but pretty much threw it away out of petty jealousy that she gave one to another guy. He made her cry. As he is acting now, he is taking it too far. Ange changed some, and although I don't expect a total change he needs to realise there are things he should not do.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Plus he knew that she tried hard to make him something, but pretty much threw it away out of petty jealousy that she gave one to another guy. He made her cry. As he is acting now, he is taking it too far. Ange changed some, and although I don't expect a total change he needs to realise there are things he should not do.

Ange? You be watching too much anime DP.

From Kyouya's point of view, he simply refused to fall for Erika's manipulation of him, and he told her as much before the event. Where he is coming from is that he despises all the superficial romantic rituals Erika wants him to go through because he sees them as empty gestures that attempt to get something from him for nothing.

Rather churlish and ungracious, certainly. He certainly can and should have explained himself more patiently and thoroughly but it seems likely he doesn't know how to. What he should have said is that Erika was ignoring his feelings in favor of her own.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Ange? You be watching too much anime DP.

From Kyouya's point of view, he simply refused to fall for Erika's manipulation of him, and he told her as much before the event. Where he is coming from is that he despises all the superficial romantic rituals Erika wants him to go through because he sees them as empty gestures that attempt to get something from him for nothing.

Rather churlish and ungracious, certainly. He certainly can and should have explained himself more patiently and thoroughly but it seems likely he doesn't know how to. What he should have said is that Erika was ignoring his feelings in favor of her own.

and I was just about to reply along these lines, too....

but yeah, if you dig a little deeper this was less about Kyoya being mean and more about him trying to eliminate Erika's shallow, manipulative behavior. He certainly isn't very good at properly asserting this type of control yet, but there was a point to it.

He's got to break Erika down a little bit before he can build her back up again. Erika herself really doesn't realize it yet. Of course he's not exactly doing it with a steady hand, so they both have a lot of maturing to do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
but yeah, if you dig a little deeper this was less about Kyoya being mean and more about him trying to eliminate Erika's shallow, manipulative behavior. He certainly isn't very good at properly asserting this type of control yet, but there was a point to it.

He's got to break Erika down a little bit before he can build her back up again. Erika herself really doesn't realize it yet. Of course he's not exactly doing it with a steady hand, so they both have a lot of maturing to do.

So you are saying that he is being a jerk to help her become a better person? She is apparently being manipulative by what, openly saying that she has gotten feelings and she wants to try a few cultural acts. Doing something like that apparently makes her shallow that she acts nice to some guy or tries things everyone else is doing. That she deserves to be left in tears so that he can make her into a different person.

Sorry, that is sick.

He might not believe in doing what the masses are in that he sees it as jaded hollow acts. But he figured out that she was still trying hard despite that and encouraged her to try, and that was good. And he still did what he did because he wants his girlfriend/dog to himself. If he was teaching her a lesson, it was not something so noble as that she should be herself. Deep down he is still the lonely boy who is upset about his dog leaving him or something.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

So you are saying that he is being a jerk to help her become a better person? She is apparently being manipulative by what, openly saying that she has gotten feelings and she wants to try a few cultural acts. Doing something like that apparently makes her shallow that she acts nice to some guy or tries things everyone else is doing. That she deserves to be left in tears so that he can make her into a different person.

Sorry, that is sick.

Nobody is saying he's doing it well. But his intentions are pretty pure.

Erika's character was set up from the very beginning as a girl that's overly affected by social expectations and obsessed with fitting in to the point where she lies her way through life. Kyouya is essentially the exact opposite of that. From the story's perspective, he's forcing her to break away from her shackles (ironically by shackling her to himself, lol).

Kyouya is hardly the hero protagonist, but Erika isn't exactly the victim either.

Quote:
He might not believe in doing what the masses are in that he sees it as jaded hollow acts. But he figured out that she was still trying hard despite that and encouraged her to try, and that was good. And he still did what he did because he wants his girlfriend/dog to himself. If he was teaching her a lesson, it was not something so noble as that she should be herself. Deep down he is still the lonely boy who is upset about his dog leaving him or something.

This just isn't going to be a typical sappy romance. Kyouya absolutely has issues of his own which eventually should be addressed. I do draw the line that he's acting out of selfishness. I don't think he's presented that way.

Kyouya has sadistic tendencies (without being a full blown sadist) and Erika is a bit of a masochist (without really coming to terms with it herself). I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I think they will eventually find a happy medium, but I think their relationship in a twisted way makes them both happy. There won't be an "aha" moment where they revert to a generic romance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Nobody is saying he's doing it well. But his intentions are pretty pure.

I find that hard to believe. there has been no indication that he has been out to help her except for when he has seen her in trouble in front of him, and even that could be muddied if it is just out of a sense of possession.

He was visibly annoyed when she did not contact him because there were no messages, and had to be told that he should have listened to her explanation. These are not signs that he is actually thinking about making her a deeper person, in fact I think evidence points that he likes that she is kind of dopey, loyal, and is not afraid of him after seeing what he is like, the traits he teases her about being like a dog. And that he actually gave in and got her a present is proof that doing it would be nice instead of not conforming, he is not following some plan to have her become a non-shallow person.

Here you are saying that she needs to be less shallow, and yet you were writing off Kusakabe, the exact thoughts Kyouya was having about him, and which he felt the need to shove his dominance over and call a "herbivore". Sure he has traits that may not be attractive, but it is not exactly fair to treat him like a lower person, especially when it was such demeaning attitudes of others that gave him the complex in the first place. She is being less shallow by actually giving him a hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7