• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces New Broadcast Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrtycoon2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
booklover0226 wrote:
I've been watching His and Her Circumstance and Utena on Comcast's VOD under Anime Selects. Does that mean they will no long be showing it??

Well, I'm certain that they'll have the last two episodes of Utena on VOD by early November, so I suspect you'll be able to see the rest of that (thankfully, I recently bought the entire series, and just watched the last 4 episodes today). As for His & Her Circumstance, I bet that the "airing at a later date" part of the article indicates that Funi will wait until it completes its VOD run before actually airing it.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Why not? I would definitleylike a better version on DVD. The first 2 CPM discs have hard song subs. Either way this is awesome news for fans of the show.
I don't know about other people, but I wouldn't like it simply because we'd have to wait forever and a day for it to be released. When exactly is Funi releasing their new Slayers DVDs, anyway? It's been like what, a year now since it was re-licensed and we still haven't heard any sign of a release date at all and I'd really love to see Slayers sometime within the next decade, especially since I missed out on buying the original DVDs. If they were doing a complete redub, I might understand why it was taking so long, but surely it shouldn't take this long just to remaster the discs and make slight corrections to the dub like they're supposedly planning on doing? But it's great that Utena is getting more exposure through airing it on TV. I've been watching the series lately myself (about half-way through it now) and it's a really wonderful show, definetly one of my top favorite anime series. I haven't watched the dub yet though to know what it's like, but I highly recommend anyone who gets this to check Utena out when it's aired on TV, though it's too bad there's probably no hope of ever seeing Utena hit a mainstream network like Cartoon Network.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kouji"]
J-Syxx wrote:
I haven't watched the dub yet though to know what it's like...

And you're better off for this, trust me. Even people who like dubs think the Utena dub is pretty bad. Especially the VA who does Anthy. She'll tell you herself that she didn't understand the character and didn't know how to play her. Unfortunately, that destroys the character, and kills a large part of the show. Anthy in English and Anthy in Japanese might as well be two completely different characters. Utena's VA was pretty good, though, especially later in the series. It's just a shame the rest of the cast wasn't.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Crawly"]
Kouji wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
I haven't watched the dub yet though to know what it's like...

And you're better off for this, trust me. Even people who like dubs think the Utena dub is pretty bad. Especially the VA who does Anthy. She'll tell you herself that she didn't understand the character and didn't know how to play her. Unfortunately, that destroys the character, and kills a large part of the show. Anthy in English and Anthy in Japanese might as well be two completely different characters. Utena's VA was pretty good, though, especially later in the series. It's just a shame the rest of the cast wasn't.

Are you Crawlspace? Damn, you post at a lot of boards. Laughing As for me I enjoyed the Utena dub, although I agree Anthy felt off in a lot of it. She's tolerable though, and I enjoyed everyone else. Best performances I think were easily Rachel Lilis as Utena and the guy who did Akio. Really amazing at times, imo. Akio in particular easily eclipses his Japanese counter-part.

I think the main argument for a Utena re-release would be better, non-hard subtitles, and improved picture and sound. Anthy being redubbed would be nice, but I'm sure that would probably not happen. I would be interested in dub-actor commentaries, but I just like listening to any commentary anyways. And maybe for a really off the wall extra include Utena: The Musical. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
More fun for the six people who have the FUNimation Channel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
So then, who owns the subtitles? The licensor or the distributor?
FuuH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
gosh :) It makes me so happy to see all this Utena pride. Utena is hands down one of the greatest animes ever, and it's very underlooked. I'm glad people watched it on Anime Selects...and I hope people watch it when its on Funi. It's just so good..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So then, who owns the subtitles? The licensor or the distributor?

I don't understand the question. What do you mean the licensor or distributor. The licensor is usually the distributor.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was mentioned earlier that the Japanese licensor/owner owned the dubs in the majority of cases. So I was wondering who owned the subtitles? The Japanese licensor/owner or the US distributor for the series?

(Of course, I prob used confusing terms. Sorry.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2