• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Relaxing Anime About Life on the Farm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Voted for ARIA, because it's goddamn ARIA.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Touma wrote:
For the new poll I went with Kamichu!.

Even with the battleship Yamamoto episode? There's being proud of a martial heritage but there some things which just remain buried or as I thought while watching the episode, "What the hell is wrong with these people?"

I get where you're coming from, and it is one of the two episodes of Kamichu that really doesn't fit, and where i wonder what the writers were on that day (the other being the cat 'fight club' episode which was totally WTF worthy).
It completely had a sense of Not Mentioning The War about it, but it didn't glorify the war either, i thought.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Would it be possible to have Non Non Biyori added to the poll? I'd vote for that if it were there.

Haibane Renmei is the superior anime, and it's my favourite on the list, but I wouldn't feel right voting for it as an iyashikei anime, although it does have that sort of effect.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask a question.

How is 'healing' anime any different than Slice of Life anime or anime with Moe elements? Or can a 'healing' anime also have Moe elements and/or a SOL? (For example, Hidamari Sketch or Aria)

Essentially it's a label given to series that present a world in which the viewer would like to spend time or can watch to unwind or "heal".

Most often they're slice of life, because that's the genre of show that most often creates the right mood and setting. If it's not actually a slice of life series, it's likely to have similar elements, like Mushishi's episodic, low-key storytelling, languid pacing and relaxing music/sound design.

Having moe elements is a separate issue, and is in no means implicit. Moe's a personal reaction, anyway, so you can't really judge it. Many people would find Mushishi's Ginko moe, and Daikichi (from Usagi Drop) was the object of moe more than the ridiculously-adorable Rin from at least some proportion of the readers, but others would call you nuts for saying they're moe because "they're not cute girls!" I've only watched I think the two-episode OVA of the latter of these two, but I'd call LotGH's Yang Wenli moe before I would YKK's Alpha, as a quick example of how moe can or can not be totally irrelevant to the label of "iyahsikei".

absolutezero31 wrote:
As for the list, ever seen an anime called Figure 17? It is a sci-fi show but most of the downtime drama takes place on a dairy farm in Hokkaido. I was mildly surprised it was missed in the list.

It's less "about life on the farm" than it is "about" the main character's growth as a person as prompted by the alien twin/clone that crash lands in her back yard one day, and also the evil aliens they have to destroy, sometimes by transforming into a power suit or whatever. I'd have been more surprised if it had been included, honestly.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Haibane Renmei is the superior anime, and it's my favourite on the list, but I wouldn't feel right voting for it as an iyashikei anime, although it does have that sort of effect.

Haibane Renmei probably my favorite anime, period. But I voted for HidaSketch. HR has a bit too much drama to be "healing", and HS is easily my most-rewatched "I need something to mellow out to" show.

I'd place Mushi-shi well ahead, too, but when my second-favorite episode involves a whole village trying to keep a girl from committing suicide, it's hard to vote for it as "iyashikei". Cathartic endings after stressful drama aren't "healing", IMHO (even low-boiling-point stress like Mushi-shi's).
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
I like both Mushishi and Haibane Renmei better than Natsume's Book of Friends, but I never really considered either of them iyashikei in the way Natsume definitely is. Meanwhile, Natsume is by far the best I've seen of its genre, IMO. Love that series to pieces.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
I went with Tamayura over ARIA cause I feel that it is the superior example of Sato's genius. However, they are both amazing works I just feel that Tamayura is a better overall experience.
tchnosensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
I voted for my all time favorite, Aria, but Tamayura came in a really close second for me in "healing" animes, followed by Natsume's Book of Friends, and Non Non Biyore.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Interesting list. While I can't offer an alternative...will say I'm surprised to see No-Rin in there. Mediocre show in my eyes, but very happy to see Non Non Biyori there. Eagerly awaiting season 2 for that series.

As for the poll, I can't vote. Not seen any of them, though some are on my "to watch" list. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
No Yama no Susume poll option?
Watching an episode of that show always gives me an urge to go camping, even though I'm usually an ocean person. Kudos to 8-bit, Yamamoto, and all the other staff for making me want to get off my lazy ass and do something. I haven't seen any of the series on this weeks list (I've never even heard of #5), the only one I'm kinda interested in is No-Rin (maybe Biyori).

For this weeks poll it was a tough choice. Bunny Drop is technically better, and Hanayamata has quickly shot up among my favorites, but K-On! is one of my favorite anime of all time and the show I watch whenever I want to relax, so I went with that one.
albanian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
I've watched all but two of the shows listed in the poll, but very few of them consciously as yashikei - K-On for the music, Binchou-tan for its surrealism, Natsume for the yokai, etc. But Aria was one of the earlist ones on the list that I saw - and I have an extreme passion for all things Venetian - so that's how I voted!

Incidentally, nice to be reminded of older shows like Mokke and Someday's Dreamers. I suppose it's now fat too late for Someday's Dreamers second series to get a western release. No, thought not.

One further thought which occurs to me is how many of these shows, if they were literary pieces, would probably fall into the catefory of 'magical realism' - but then that is a perfectly valid alternative description for many of them anyway.
Asturaetus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
So many great shows on one list. Makes it very difficult for me to decide. I quite liked Bartenders calm athmosphere and narration but there is also Aria and YKK which are classics I am very fond of... What to pick.Confused

On another note good to see older ones like Mokke here. Come to think of it - I never got around seeing that second special episode.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
I suppose it's now fat too late for Someday's Dreamers second series to get a western release.

It was released on DVD by Sentai.
They did not dub it though and I have not seen it, even though Someday's Dreamers is one of my favorite shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
Like other posters, I enjoy a lot of the titles on this week's poll. There are so many great choices. I voted for Aria because of all the titles, it's the one that I've repeatedly watched to help me out when I've had a stressful day. Everything about it, the sound, the visuals, the plot, the characters, puts me at ease.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
I don't want to hear anyone complain about Final Fantasy anymore!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
albanian wrote:
I suppose it's now fat too late for Someday's Dreamers second series to get a western release.

It was released on DVD by Sentai.
They did not dub it though and I have not seen it, even though Someday's Dreamers is one of my favorite shows.

How did I miss that? I am in your debt. (Maybe not eternally - but it's certainly a high level of gratitude! Especially as RightStuf still have it in stock.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3