• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Laughing Under the Clouds (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
The weird thing is that up to now I'd been under the distinct impression that middle-bro was the vessel. So I keep thinking there's something else going on here that would allow for a reversal. spoiler[Like he's orchestrated this to allow him time to work behind the scenes to figure out how to free Sora from the curse without killing him, while keeping the hunters off his back. I dunno. I just can't believe they're done with Tenka yet. If they are, it's much too pat a resolution to the Orochi part of the plot, not to mention a terrible waste of such a flamboyant character design. ;)]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
I totally had the exact same impression about Orochi and Soramaru. spoiler[Tenka being the vessel] came completely out of left field for me, but your theory makes a lot of sense. I still don't think Tenka faked the whole thing because his medical condition has been hinted since previous episodes, but it wouldn't be too outrageous to imagine Soramaru has a larger connection to Orochi than they've let on so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
A lot of flashbacks from the latest episode...especially with spoiler[Tenka, Botan, and their encounter with Orochi in the past. Heh, the past is never easy to deal with huh? Overall, an interesting episode and they even did a little bit of comedy thanks to Tenka and Hirari.]

I feel bad for the brothers now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
A different side of the same story.
Getting a new perspective & characters was interesting.
Wonder how they are related to the main story.
The spoiler[love story] they added was kinda sweet.
Guess this story was about one of the spoiler[past Orochi vessels].
Good episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
thanks to Tenka and Hirari.

That wasn't Tenka, it was Kagemitsu, the first Kumoh head, and Hirari no Abe spoiler[who has apparently been reincarnated as the "present day" Hirari born with one arm.] Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode. I think spoiler[Tenka is taking steps to deal with what happened with his brother now and I'm glad he is able to help someone from the latest episode.]

The healing process has begun~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This most recent episode was quite beautiful. There is definitely more to what is going on that involves his brothers. I'm interested to see what happens next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused now - I did not realize that Sousei was an Abe. So is the reincarnated one-armed Hirari actually in the present after all, was he a mid-timeline flashback too, or is there more than one guy from the Abe clan running around currently?

I liked the boys' dad. Smile I also felt for Chuutaro, who's been kept in the dark about things by his brothers just as Soramaru was by Tenka. Maybe a little more talking and a little less laughing would have done this family some good.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
From what I gather, there are two Abe running around in the present. One of them is Sousei, and the other one is the guy with one arm, who is a reincarnation of Hirari. I believe he's the same guy we saw talking to the shady looking politician about the disbanding of the Yamainu near the end of the episode.

I really liked this episode, I think the unoriginal analogy of rain and mourning was especially poignant here, where instead of the sun returning to the land after the death of the Orochi, the sky cries for a full week as if sharing the brothers' grief. For a series that's been relatively mediocre and kind of all over the place so far, they did a great job in conveying the character's emotions, although I was thoroughly unconvinced by the two-color-hair girl subplot. I think the story of the Fuma, the misterious guy in prison and this new girl is the weakest part of the story.

OTOH, the fact that last week we saw the sun coming out instants after the Orochi was killed 600 years ago, gives me some hope that spoiler[Tenka may actually be alive]. Although that would sort of cheapen the emotional impact of this episode, I would certainly appreciate given that I still have a hard time caring for most of the remaining cast.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'm not exactly sure why or how, but if they're going to wriggle out of that, I have a feeling that spoiler[the "dissection" that was mentioned in passing might have something to do with it. Like, they didn't bury him, they took his body off to...somewhere. Could the doctor, Botan, and Kinjou all be in on it? Like a really good makeup job? Maybe Kinjou taught him how to fake being dead or survive being hanged.] I know, I'm reaching. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking more along the lines of:spoiler[ they didn't actually kill him (not sure of how that works since the hanging scene was pretty straightforward) and are using the dissection excuse so they don't have to hand the family a dead body that doesn't exist. It would also sort of make sense because the chief of the Yamainu said he wanted to experiment on the Orochi vessel, so maybe Tenka just staged his death so he could hide from the guy while figuring out what to do about the Orochi.] OK, I'm reaching too.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:
I'm a bit surprised by the ending there regarding spoiler[Shirasu and his intentions. Poor Botan though. She found out too much and now paid the price...]

It doesn't look like either spoiler[brothers are doing well this episode either. I think Chutaro is making a horrible choice in trying to carrying out his "revenge". It won't bring back his brother anyways. And regarding Sora, how else can he cope with the realization the he is perhaps the new vessel of Orichi? Damn, I can't wait to see where the show is going from here now.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I did not see that coming. Smile
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Sooo...spoiler[Shirasu is evil, Botan is (almost) dead (or whatever the equivalent of death is for a shikigami), Tenka's death was meaningless, Soramaru is the real Orochi vessel, and Chuutarou's been brainwashed by a criminal.]

Well, things certainly got really bad really fast, didn't they?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people will be surprised by the ending of episode 10.

And also, spoiler[Botan is saved by a certain someone that I dare say is tied by fate because one of the previous episodes highlighted them (or rather their previous selves).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3