• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Redline Loved it, never seen anything like it before, and probably never see anything else with that amount of detail again.

Moritasan wa Mukuchi 24 - 3 minute episodes, cute enough overall, quickly consumed and then forgotten.
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Recently I've basically finished everything I could that's out in the USA (Which means if I wanna continue I'd have to use fansubs)

But then I found Hunter x Hunter (2011) on crunchy roll and MAN! AM I glad I did! I'll finish it tomorrow which gets me up to 20; and that makes me kind of sad but at least it brought me some more anime entertainment Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Gunsmith Cats. why is because i can mope around wishing that the manga could have been made into an anime and been the greatest thing ever made
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
I found a new series I'd like to own in my collection. Yuru Yuri is a reminder a comedy series can be told very well without the need to demoralize the viewer with an onslaught of pantsu shots to sell it.

Comedy is subjective and it looks as though the writers had a difficult time trying to balance out the yuri elements of the cast while delivering the comedy without recycling the gags. Unfortunately, the first few episodes shows this isn't easy, and as the series progressed, it went more for slice-of-life than comedy. Yet, when the comedy did hit, it was good. The final episode had me laughing for a few minutes, but some may not see it this way, instead rolling their eyes for the over-used "one shot" scene this delivers.

There's no surprise to see a second season green lit. As long as the series continues using the balanced writing the first season delivered, I see it growing beyond 2 seasons. It's fun, but not everyone will find the slice-of-life elements pleasing enough to drop $50 on owning it.

Blood- mentioned Myself; Yourself and I fired this up over the weekend. The second I saw the kid running to the train, my brain fired up and screamed "No! Stay away! It was horrible! Remember??!!".

I didn't listen to it. Instead, I re-watched it because my brain didn't fill in the gaps. I should have listened to the warning. Now, I do remember the horrid storytelling this series delivered me.

I despise this Japanese notion children, about 5 years old, who make marriage promises are forced to keep them as adults. Making things complicated are the "Guy leaves town, then returns years later with the expectation they have never changed" elements delivered along with the promise.

Are the Japanese truly this stupid or do they expect us to be? This doesn't even make a great story, so it's no wonder Myself; Yourself fails to greet its viewers with anything short of drama founded on the dumbest of reasons.

I get Nanaka is all twisted and bent out of shape because of a situation which happened in her past. But it's not like she wasn't old enough to handle it. Based on the events, she was, at minimum, 11 years old. More than old enough to keep this baggage bullshit from allowing her a social life.

Then again, this is from the same country which thinks the common cold is a life-threatening disease and blood types dictate personalities, so why not allow a pre-teen the ability to lose all memories.
Rolling Eyes

Now I understand why I didn't retain anything about this series the first time I watched it. Here's to hoping my brain forgets again. For the love of anime, let's hope it does it quick.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Started rewatching Idolm@ster over the weekend. I'm not sure why I like the show as much as I do, it's not the kind of thing I usually go in for, but it is a lot of fun.
killmyself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I found a new series I'd like to own in my collection. Yuru Yuri is a reminder a comedy series can be told very well without the need to demoralize the viewer with an onslaught of pantsu shots to sell it.

Comedy is subjective and it looks as though the writers had a difficult time trying to balance out the yuri elements of the cast while delivering the comedy without recycling the gags. Unfortunately, the first few episodes shows this isn't easy, and as the series progressed, it went more for slice-of-life than comedy. Yet, when the comedy did hit, it was good. The final episode had me laughing for a few minutes, but some may not see it this way, instead rolling their eyes for the over-used "one shot" scene this delivers.

There's no surprise to see a second season green lit. As long as the series continues using the balanced writing the first season delivered, I see it growing beyond 2 seasons. It's fun, but not everyone will find the slice-of-life elements pleasing enough to drop $50 on owning it.

The manga actually didn't have close to as much yuri as the show it reads as slice of life comedy with an occasional lesbian joke. Not that I am complaining or anything. I read the manga first so the way they changed and added content for the show made it feel like I wasn't viewing something for a second time and it held true to the characters.

I watched Gyo and Koukaku No Regios. Gyo was entertaining in a way the comparisons to a B horror flick are dead on it isn't something I would watch again. Koukaku No Regios isn't something I would recommend it was about as average as you can get.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
The manga actually didn't have close to as much yuri as the show it reads as slice of life comedy with an occasional lesbian joke.

Aside from the very last episode, there wasn't any yuri in the series at all. Even then, the last episode had a primer to deliver it (hence why I found it funny).

Anyone looking to this series for some girl-on-girl action is going to be very, very disappointed.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
I saw The Secret World of Arrietty yesterday in theatres. Even though it has been out for a week the showings are still selling out. Good for you Miyazaki =) Some of the dialogue at the end was pretty cheesy, but besides that I really liked it. Especially the attention to detail given to how water would flow if a person was that small. And how a single bay leaf from the "bay leaf tree" was enough to last them a year.

I also watched Kakurenbo and it is one of the few anime that is a little scary. Not just creepy, though it had plenty of that. I would really like to see this made into a short series as it has a lot of potential and unexplored possibilities.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I found the first sub-only volume of Gurren Lagann at a store and
I am really enjoying it; who knew giant robo anime could be this
awesome without mentally unstable pilots?

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!! lol. Very Happy
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
I found the first sub-only volume of Gurren Lagann at a store and
I am really enjoying it; who knew giant robo anime could be this
awesome without mentally unstable pilots?

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!! lol. Very Happy

I think that anime series is one of the most interesting stories in recent times :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@shukero
Yeah, man. When I first read about the series and found out how
popular this was I thought Confused, then I watched it and felt Shocked,
now I feel like this: Very Happy
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Princess Jellyfish, and if there is any show that I've seen that desperatley -- and I mean desperatley -- needs a second season, it's this one. While I really enjoyed it, the amount of loose threads is incredible.

On the other hand, there is something to like about the spoiler[romance being only somewhat formed.]

Edit: Also started Tenchi Universe. Oh, the nostalgia! Afternoons watching Toonami after school, how I miss you.
Coach McGuirk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
im currently watching:
another
phi brain
bakuman s2
ano natsu de matteru
daily lives of high school boys
mouretsu pirates
rinne no lagrange
nisemonogatari
mirai nikki
To aru Majutsu No Index
black rock shooter
kill me baby

stuff i have on the back burner:
persona4
guilty crown
d.gray man (yea i know)
fairy tail
one piece
area no kishi
both seasons of squid girl
Chihayafuru
last 3 eps. of break blade
FMP
Gantz
higurashi

im sure there's more. Confused
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hows about addressing the 'Why?' aspect of the OP? Garnish us with opinions of the shows you're watching. We crave your opinions. We need your opinions Wink
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Currently viewing Night Raid 1931 on Netflix. It's pleasant, mildly entertaining; sort of reminds me of an adventure story written for Boy's Life with an Eastern slant. Reason for warching: good question, I'm wondering that myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 658 of 1062