• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Hope didn't tackle the completely unnecessary scene of Akane walking around her apartment half-naked for no reason whatsoever apart from keeping the audience for noticing that the whole thing with the omnipotence paradox was mind-blowingly stupid and not relevant at all.

Something else that kind of irked me was the exaggerated over-the-top grandiose opera piece going on in the background when whatshisface showed Akane her grandma's ear and everyone stared in horror. It was completely out of place, it was a very pointless way to use such a famous piece. And it also made it feel like the writers really wanted to force a strong punch of fabricated emotions that didn't connect at all. It was upsetting not because of what was happening on screen, but because it all felt so badly-suited it bordered on cartoonish (but then again, what part of this episode didn't) and instead of enhancing the scene it detracted from it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
I've been discussing this in the other thread, but only one person has offered their views, so I thought I'd throw it out here to see if there are any other takers, since I'm still not sure what to make of this (or if there's anything to be made other than sloppiness. But since I had a feeling the ear stud was important when they blinded us with its sparkle, I think there's intent behind this too - I just don't know what).

The headline in Episode 7 says there were 205 people on the plane. Karanomori says 202 of them died and that 185 of those were children. That means 3 people survived the crash, one of whom was Kamui. But then they say only Kamui survived the crash, so I assume they were talking only of the children? Does that mean they were at first counting him as a victim in the 185, or one of the 3 survivors? If so, once they realized he survived, they should only have needed to age 184 other children. But they did 185, so it seems like he's not counted among those. So here, two survivors are unaccounted for.

Episode 8 says Mika found the patent for joining 184 bodies. If 185 were dead, why not 185 bodies? What happened to the other body? From a narrative standpoint it just seems odd to make the viewer come up with a reason for the discrepancy, instead of just making it 185. The surgeon says Kamui says he has 184 bodies and personalities - does that include his original one or not?

I'm thinking possibly that the 202 number should have been 204. But after this episode, I'm also suspecting that Kuwashima is maybe supposed to be the 185th "body," so that wheeling him onstage this late in the game doesn't look quite so out of the blue. But that would mean that no one bothered to take him off the passenger manifest for a week or noticed he didn't get on the plane (Sybil notices when you don't leave your apartment for too long). And if he was one of the children whose pictures they aged with the 185 they should have noticed his present activities earlier. So anybody have any ideas about why these numbers don't add up? They keep throwing them in our face so often, it's hard to believe it's not deliberate.

Speaking of Kuwashima, it seemed weird that his transferring schools and not being part of the crash (i.e., merely being a former classmate) was the "Aha! He wasn't on the plane. That's his connection to Kamui!" moment. At most it would be a "Does he have any connection to Kamui now?" avenue of investigation.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

*sigh* Will a day ever come when Watanabe makes a true return to form with one of his original, solo projects?

Well I meant that Dandy had a lot of guest directors and such and was essentially an anthology as opposed to something a little more over-arching like Bebop or Champloo. Watanabe seemed to be more of the adhesive there than the head director like that aforementioned stuff. Dandy is fun and all, but still hoping for more good serious stuff out of him.

EDIT: Just realized Champloo had guest directors too, but I guess it feels more apparent that Dandy is more about inclusive stylistic elements than Champloo I guess which still covers a large palette of artistic flourishes and whatnot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
More like, why the heck didn't they check wether Kamui's class had any leftovers or relations beforehand.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm surprised that Hope didn't tackle the completely unnecessary scene of Akane walking around her apartment half-naked for no reason whatsoever apart from keeping the audience for noticing that the whole thing with the omnipotence paradox was mind-blowingly stupid and not relevant at all.

Please read the PP shonen manga. Actually naked Akane and full frontal teen-corpse nudity can be found there'Cool' and season 1 had lot´s of nippleless boobZ.
I am surprised how serious you guys(on both sides) take the the show in general. It´s clearly only popcorn entertainment with zero harmfull or best of all objectionable content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@residentgrigo - It's popcorn entertainment because that's what you see and want of it. The reason some people liked the first series - of which you called "pretentious" and not as cerebral as other people considered - is because they could seriously discuss the thematic aspects, plot, philosophical ideas, etc. of the show. They're disappointed with the 2nd season because the aspects they enjoyed aren't as strongly crafted and aren't consistent with the 1st season. That's what happens when you get different writers and directors who have different strengths/weaknesses in different areas.

I have yet to actually start watching the 2nd season. I feel like I need to familiarize myself with the 1st season again before I do so (which I did think was really great), considering the arguments that have been brought up.
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
second season started going bad when spoiler[Aoyanagi got in her lingerie

not because of the lingerie itself as it was some great lingerie (they put all the episode's budget in those knickers, which explains the southpark reference) but just because that's where it tried to awkwardly raise the stakes or something

basically what im trying to say is that her lingerie was a force to be reckoned with
i wonder if it survived the blast
would make a nice (but questionable) memento for Gino (unless he got the broken bracelet communicator)]
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed this season quite a bit so far. I don't find the twists to be too outrageous to stretch my suspension of disbelief any further than the Sybil system itself does. Once I put my disgust with the complete and total lack insanity that something like the sybil system could ever come into existence and decided that the first season was still a good show, I haven't had any trouble dealing with the man who can't be seen by the scanners or the spoiler[newly minted artificially created criminally asymptomatic enforcer].

As for some of the comments early on about Akane seeming to be "pining" for Kougami, I don't see it that way. What I see Akane as doing is twofold. First, she is triggering a frame of mind. Kougami is the person who taught her to think like a detective. She associates the smell of cigarette smoke with him. She is using the odor of cigarette smoke to put herself into the "detective" frame of mind. It is possible that is all that it is, however, there is also the possibility of a second layer to her ruse: trying to make people think she is having trouble dealing with things and struggling to keep her psycho pass numbers in check/hue unclouded. She knows now what the sybil system is comprised of, which is people whose psycho pass numbers are not impacted by committing criminal acts. She also knows that her psycho pass is resistant to change to an unusual extent, including not being impacted by frequent meetings with the professor who tends to make people's hue cloud. She is also a very smart girl. She knows that these traits she displays make her a target for absorption into the sybil system with one major difference: she doesn't commit criminal acts. She may be trying to give the impression of a person on the edge to throw off suspicion that there is something different about her. Of course, she also knows that there is no real way that she can fool the sybil system.

I expect that the goal of the "chief" is to push Akane over the edge so she becomes criminally asymptomatic so she can be taken as a new brain in a box. I also expect that Kougami will swoop in at the last minute and take her away with him to join his group that is prepared to shatter the sybil system once and for all, in the upcoming movie!
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Akane isn't CA
you can't become CA

source: s1
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
@residentgrigo - It's popcorn entertainment because that's what you see and want of it. The reason some people liked the first series - of which you called "pretentious" and not as cerebral as other people considered - is because they could seriously discuss the thematic aspects, plot, philosophical ideas, etc. of the show.

Same here. There's nothing pretentious about the 1st season of PP at all. All the quotes and book references in PP fit the themes of show. Also, some people enjoying using their brains when watching a show Smile

@zensunni, I'm surprised that you find were so "disgusted" with the concept of Sybil. It's a science fiction show, after all.
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
i'm prety sure that when you quote high tier literary works and philosophical concepts multiple times every episode you fit the dictionary definition of "pretentious" perfectly

kind of like throwing in biblical references and logic concepts in season2

especially since not all of these fit (omnip. paradox this episode, electric boogaloo sheeps in season 1, etc).

literary quotes in season1 were just there to be cool (that guy who worked with Urobuchi liked them, that's all) , kind of like half the christian imaginery of evangelion.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Yes the quotes in season made as much sense as the crosses in EVA(huge fan btw) and are only there to look cool. You took my joke away'Wink'. I also read Also sprach Zarathustra in german and that one is the king pretentiousness so i consider myself an expert'Cool'.
How did i finish it ? Oh well we can all turn our brains back on when Blame! hopefully turn out as good as the manga or you can join me in Mushishi(11/10) and Parasyte(9/10 the manga is a 10). An Eden adaptation would be nice too. And don´t be too angry at Ubukata. The original group is still producing so they are cool with the new direction too. I am hoping for a kill-em-all(but not the movie leads) gore explosion for the finale. Frankensteiner-sama is my favourite villian of the anime year. He and Slasher-chan deserve to go out BIG so let´s hope the latin choire returns. Wasn´t NoitaminA once the Josei channel ? Season 1 was at least fujoshi fodder extraordinaire but season 2 is very reserved in that aspect.
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
i'll never understand how people can like Kamui
he's just your average terrorist guy, only with the charisma of a wet sponge and the emotivity of a wooden plank

he's just so [expletive] dull, a waste of screentime

oh and s2 is just as fujoshi fodder as season 1, if not more
you're not seeing it because you're too distracted by the splatter fest

oh if anyone's interested, pre-screening spoilers are out
spoiler[not gonna post them here]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey hey i like my sexy men and wouldn´t have problems with more. Starz Spartacus did it right with a topless woman fighting a bottomless man as a highlight. PP2 is a splatter fest. No questions there. And the music was italian. Hups. Where are the screening spoilers found ? Reddit has nothing and i will say to you what i think of the writers Heroic Age tomorrow. His only anime i skipped because of Xebec. The movie trailer showed btw. that Mika lives. Nice. You know what i take it back. The movie could turn out good. The plot summary is more unhinged then season 2.
I will now watch it regardless and the first season had it´s good sides too.

Dear ANN staff. Your profile Ubukata says that "He is a heavy smoker and aims to win the Nobel Prize for Literature" 'Shocked'.
I nearly fell of my chair after reading. Where are your sources ?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
yeh i have no idea what you're trying to say anymore
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 27