• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Macross TV Anime Project Announced With Singer Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That Macross TV series dub was pretty bad, though. Even Monica Rial was lacking in it, and she's never lacking. The biggest mistake was thinking just because Minmay's Japanese VA could SPEAK English that she could also ACT in English. She can't.

I seem to recall whoever played Max was decent enough, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Just because people discovered Macross because of Robotech, it doesn't mean that they still have to like Robotech.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Just because people discovered Macross because of Robotech, it doesn't mean that they still have to like Robotech.

Shouldn't it count for something? It's like the original FMA anime. Sure, to some it hasn't aged well thanks to "Brotherhood," but most of them probably wouldn't even have taken a look at the manga without it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

Shouldn't it count for something? It's like the original FMA anime. Sure, to some it hasn't aged well thanks to "Brotherhood," but most of them probably wouldn't even have taken a look at the manga without it.

There's a pretty big difference between what FMA 2003 is and Robotech. FMA 2003 is its own show that was animated to be how it is. Robotech is three unrelated shows pasted together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
And you can be someone young enough who wasn't watching Robotech in the 80s, or never watched it when it was on Cartoon Network (I honestly had no idea until years after it was gone.) It feels like this argument is the equivalent of saying that my love for DYRL should come from the existence of Clash of the Bionoids. One can discover Macross entirely independent of Robotech.

I will concede in that most people only know of and maybe care for Mospeada and Southern Cross because Robotech dragged them along behind Macross, otherwise I think they'd have gone along the lines of Dragonar, L-Gaim, Layzner, Galient and others: where they only got any western audience from digital fansub distribution within the last however many years.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I am really excited to hear about the prospect of a new Macross series. It's too bad the only way I'll be able to see it is either fan subs or imported blu-rays with subtitles. (and there is no guarantee on the latter). Hopefully the songs and the variable fighter action will be as enjoyable as it was on Frontier.

that is all too true. the only way that would happen is if the US govt cancels harmony gold's trademarks or if the whole freaking company goes permanently bankrupt cause its those bastards that are the primary reason why the franchise haven't been able to be licensed in the US. those the japaneese committee are also to blame as well.

Nas and TV Tokyo was definitely had no qualms trying to get the yugioh franchise from 4 crap kids (even though they failed badly and konami / 4kmedia now holds the franchise ) , so they should have done the same thing to harmony gold cause its really getting uber ridiculous now on how harmony gold have a massive strangle hold on the whole maccross / robotech franchise for so many decades now. and alongs as that continues , more people will either go to fansubs and watch them via illegal streaming which means less money for the maccross committee.

kind of a no brainer if you ask me.

so if they are really serious in giving this series a go, they had better at least do something about harmony gold and their monopolization fast otherwise like frontier will never officially see the light of day in the US.

penguintruth wrote:
That Macross TV series dub was pretty bad, though. Even Monica Rial was lacking in it, and she's never lacking. The biggest mistake was thinking just because Minmay's Japanese VA could SPEAK English that she could also ACT in English. She can't.

I seem to recall whoever played Max was decent enough, though.

Actually rial was definitely decent enough. was it perfect from the other funi roles. no. but it was decent enough. and mignona in the lead role is a definitely better improvement than tony oliver's take as the main.

also imari jimja was pretty good in her english dub role as minmay . And they were a hell of a lot superior than the english dub version of robotech. Dont get me wrong. that version was definitely not bad at the least. its that the ADV uncut version was a whole lot better and much to what fans were looking for.

its kinda the similar situation with sailor moon fans when comparing the DIC version with the new Viz Media version. while the old dub is ok and is definitely watchable , the newer one is much superior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Only seven years after Frontier?

That seems a bit odd as no doubt Sheryl and Ranka would still have active careers by then. Then again, I guess Frontier was less than fifteen years after 7. Anyway, I am excited!

(Also count me as another person who likes Macross and has never watched a single episode of Robotech.)

With only a 7 year jump, we're likely to at least see cameos by Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl, though I doubt they will be the stars.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I got the pilot VHS for Robotech, via mail order from an advertisement in a magazine. I also have the VHS set of the Robotech TV series. That is because I was watching anime in the Eighties as a young adult. So I think it is a pretty safe bet that a lot of the older fans saw Robotech first. But since we are several generations from those times, it is also a pretty safe bet that the majority of fans now, have seen the several iterations of Macross first.

So naturally, I have a fondness for Robotech, despite its flaws and its seemingly never-ending love triangle.

Liking Robotech, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the Macross franchise. I loved Macross Plus and Macross Frontier. Can't wait for Macross Delta either.

Liking Robotech, also doesn't mean I am not as pissed as everyone else about the Macross franchise not being available over here. But that is not the fault of Robotech from the Eighties, but of the Harmony Gold company today.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Macross is getting another series. I hope it can be as good as Frontier was. Eight years later? Hmm, Well maybe they'll mention what happened to Alto his crew. The movie and television endings for Macross Frontier were....didn't really resolve anything except Macross Frontier fleet found a new home planet.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

With only a 7 year jump, we're likely to at least see cameos by Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl, though I doubt they will be the stars.

I'd love to see cameos from them. If they do have camoes though, it makes me wonder if they'll go out of the way to spoiler[keep what eventually happened with the love triangle ambiguous, as although it was resolved in the films, it never was in the show (which I actually sort of liked). ]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The biggest mistake was thinking just because Minmay's Japanese VA could SPEAK English that she could also ACT in English. She can't.

Some say in Japanese neither. Laughing
(She wasn't an actress when she unintentionally got the gig.)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
Only seven years after Frontier?

That seems a bit odd as no doubt Sheryl and Ranka would still have active careers by then. Then again, I guess Frontier was less than fifteen years after 7. Anyway, I am excited!

(Also count me as another person who likes Macross and has never watched a single episode of Robotech.)

Its a big galaxy, wherever this new series ends up being set it doesn't necessarily have to be anywhere near where Frontier ended up. That said, it wouldn't be outside the series norm to have references to the pop-music of other parts of the galaxy. Like how we heard some Basara in Frontier.

Though, at this point anything is possible. My guess is, after the overall success of Macross F, Big West probably will want to duplicate that. So maybe they will go directly back to the Macross F well. I kind of hope not, the one thing I like about Macross is it tends not to stick to one cast for very long.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
In addition to not sticking to one cast it's never backtracked, outside of Zero, so you could see it as a series that's always moving forward towards new horizons. And yeah, big galaxy, take a look at the fleet movement graphic at the beginning of Frontier, there's just tons and tons of emigration fleets all going off in their own directions. I just hope Kawamori finds a better way to bring conflict to the series other than some other heretofore unknown spacefolding entities, but I suppose the magical ability of music will still be different.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
These turned up on Flying Dog Records' twitter today:

The audition:

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Information2/Z0221.html?article=news43#news43

The only information on the audition is a 1 December 2014 announcement: http://macross.jp/audition/

A karaoke album to be released 29 October 2014:

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Discography/A005245/VEATP-32118.html
Sylontack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
That seems a bit odd as no doubt Sheryl and Ranka would still have active careers by then.

spoiler[That definitely depends on if you go with the film or TV end, and even then how you interpret the film end.]

I've only seen the films (because that's the only Frontier that's officially released in Japan with subs #YayLicensingHell) so that's the ending I go with.

On another note, I was not alive during the 80s so I'm one of those people who was not around during Robotech's heyday and while I knew about it I've never seen it. I'm interested in the Macross franchise and enjoy it so obviously I hold HG in a negative light. However I do not take that anger out on Robotech, I don't see myself watching Robotech but if anything I find its conception pretty interesting- however I reserve the right to hate a company who is doing something stupid for reasons I cannot comprehend the logic behind myself ("Oh it might interrupt with the continuity and canon of OUR robotech." I mean it's technically not YOUR robotech because you just changed the dialogue and I mean- just don't CALL it robotech... Solved, you're making more money and people like you again.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6