• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Simpsons Halloween Episode Pays Tribute to Popular Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The real joy in the episode was the Clockwork Orange segment. I was loving every reference.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Apparently the entire family has terrible taste in anime. Well, except Santa's Little Helper, who appears to be a Miyazaki dragon.

I guess, though, if they'd all been GOOD anime characters, almost nobody in the audience would recognize them. Wink

We get it. You're a hipster.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, anybody who doesn't love Naruto and Bleach is a hipster, man.

I guess I can't just not want anime to be represented solely by shonen fighting shows.

But like I said, of course they used some of the better known shows, because they want people to recognize the reference, so they played to the cheap seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Gotta agree with penguintruth on this one. Both Bleach and Naruto fell of a cliff after certain point in the story. The peak for Naruto being Invasion of Par Arc and peak for Bleach being the Soul Society Arc. However, I do consider Attack On Titan and One Piece both damn good shows.

As for the referencing itself, honestly, it doesn't mean anything. If The Simpson had made references to anime back in the nineties, specifically between the years 90-95, that would would have been a way bigger deal. Because the show at that time was the most well know animated show on the planet and one of the most popular TV shows ever. Granted it still brings in reasonably big viewers on average (4-8 million) but it's nowhere as big back in it's heyday (20-30 million).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I guess I can't just not want anime to be represented solely by shonen fighting shows.

But like I said, of course they used some of the better known shows, because they want people to recognize the reference, so they played to the cheap seats.

Well, some of the shows you watch don't get referenced for a reason: nobody watched them. I guess you'd like it better if it referenced "Koi Koi 7" or "Roots Search."
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The reason you are called hipster is because you have the pompous "I'm better then you because I like obscure animes" attitude is why you are called a hipster. Woopty freaking doo you like obscure anime that barely anyone ever watched doesn't make you better then people who like popular anime. Just because people like you shout from the heavens that popular equals bad does not make it true.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Even without the blink-and-you'll-miss-it anime references, I actually really liked "Treehouse of Horror XXV", which was a tremendous improvement over the past few years' worth of "Treehouse of Horrors". I like that they've been moving away from the awful parodies of recently-popular movies (including films like Avatar that aren't even horror movies). "School Is Hell" wasn't a parody of anything in particular, "The Others" only barely referenced the movie of the same name, and even "A Clockwork Yellow" felt more like a general Kubrick homage than an unfunny beat-by-beat condensation of the film.

And, yes, I did really enjoy seeing the 1987 Tracey Ullman Show versions of the characters make an appearance as a tribute to the upcoming 25th anniversary of the Simpsons series proper. Sure, it was a gimmick, but the "Treehouse of Horror" episodes are gimmicks in the first place, so a gimmick within a gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing.

While nowhere near as good as early-through-mid-1990s "Treehouse of Horror" episodes, I thought XXV was almost on par with the late 1990s "Treehouse of Horrors" (when the show was already in decline), and was my favourite "Treehouse of Horrors" since at least XIX in 2008 (with two segments I liked, "How to Get Ahead in Deadvertising", and "It's the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Spirited Away is a shonen fighting show?

Yeah, you're a hipster. Hating shows based on popularity is no less respectable than loving them based on the same thing. And you just couldn't wait to let everyone here know about your superior taste in anime. Because that's what this thread was created for.

The Simpsons is long past its prime, but Treehouse of Horror will usually be very good. Even when the show was at the peak of its popularity, those specials still stood above the rest.

It was an innocent and respectable nod to the anime genre, in a country where anime is still the poor stepchild. Even if it was only for a few seconds, I thought it was nice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
The reason you are called hipster is because you have the pompous "I'm better then you because I like obscure animes" attitude is why you are called a hipster. Woopty freaking doo you like obscure anime that barely anyone ever watched doesn't make you better then people who like popular anime. Just because people like you shout from the heavens that popular equals bad does not make it true.

Bugnin wrote:

Yeah, you're a hipster. Hating shows based on popularity is no less respectable than loving them based on the same thing. And you just couldn't wait to let everyone here know about your superior taste in anime.

Reading comprehension is fundamental.

A lot of the shows I enjoy are mainstream, but Naruto, Bleach, and the like were chosen because they cater to the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't be happy if they were dressed as DBZ characters either, even though I still enjoy that. It doesn't have to be an obscure show, but casting them all as characters in similarly vacant, shallow fighting shows puts anime in a light of being unvaried. The ONLY reason they were chosen was because they were popular shows, not because the animators or writers gave a crap. Yeah, they tossed us a bone with the Miyazaki thing, but they already did a Miyazaki thing a while back.

But, as I've already well established, it's obviously because they wanted the most amount of people to be able to identify them, which is probably why they went with those characters. I already, in my very first post about this, given an explanation that satisfies my own complaint.

Stop trying so hard to pick a fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, they tossed us a bone with the Miyazaki thing, but they already did a Miyazaki thing a while back.

You mean they threw you a bone. Nobody else cares which anime were shown. It was a nod to the entire genre and you're whining that your favorite shows weren't included in a minor tribute that lasted all of three seconds and contained no words.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ya know, if they had done a full "Treehouse of Horrors" spoofing anime tropes in general, then, yes, I too would have liked to see them at least toss a bone for those of us into anime beyond the stuff that airs on mainstream television (even if it was just only slightly more obscure but still fairly well-known anime like Haruhi Suzumiya), but, for a split second sight gag, obviously they're only going to reference the most popular of the most popular anime so that anyone only vaguely familiar with anime would still recognize at least one or two of the characters in order to get the joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Ya know, if they had done a full "Treehouse of Horrors" spoofing anime tropes in general, then, yes, I too would have liked to see them at least toss a bone for those of us into anime beyond the stuff that airs on mainstream television (even if it was just only slightly more obscure but still fairly well-known anime like Haruhi Suzumiya), but, for a split second sight gag, obviously they're only going to reference the most popular of the most popular anime so that anyone only vaguely familiar with anime would still recognize at least one or two of the characters in order to get the joke.

This is exactly what I said.
ishmael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
The latest seasons don't come close to the early ones, yet thewy still manage to have a few gems that, to me, justify the series' continued existence.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'm just suprised, and sad no one mentioned or said "Toonami invades The Simpsons" or something like that, since you know, it makes sense and all by the appearances and such, minus Pokemon, cause that's different, but what do I know. Anime dazed
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
I can't even look at The Simpsons now. The only thing that got my attention in the past decade regarding it is Mrs. Krabappel's VA dying. But the show is less than a shell of what it used to be in the mid-90's. It's complete garbage, it's unfunny, and the characters personalities are atrocious.

Essentially,

Bart is not a brat anymore, he's a pansy

Homer is a bloody retard, close to Peter Griffin level except the latter
makes it funny

Lisa is a liberal bitch

Marge is a total try-hard

....but those things are trendy now, that's a total shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4