• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Okada Rips Apart Gundam Reconguista

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The toilet scenes may even be a metaphor. For what i don´t know.

Not everything is a metaphor or allegory. That's what made me sick of trying to analyze The Scarlet Letter, when every stupid description was supposed to mean something just for the sake of meaning something when it adds nothing to the story.

The toilet's a toilet because the Gundam is full of shit.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Whilst I agree with his sentiments - even as a long time Gundam fan - I wouldn't characterise that rambling as the musings of a "scholar"... if he genuinely is an academic then I've been writing about the wrong subject all these years!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is getting interesting. I hope this doesn't turn into a shouting match (or a free for all bashing) between Okada and Tomino.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It's the Otaking!

mdo7 wrote:

Oh wow, this is getting interesting. I hope this doesn't turn into a shouting match (or a free for all bashing) between Okada and Tomino.

Shouting match, Japanese-style!

Hashimoto, Zaitokukai chairman get into shouting match

• OSAKA — A meeting between Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto and Makoto Sakurai, the chairman of Zaitokukai, a group that has repeatedly engaged in hate speech against Korean residents in Japan, ended after only 10 minutes when both men started shouting at each other.

The two men were seated at tables about three meters apart at Monday’s meeting at the Osaka government office. At one point, Sakurai stood up and approached Hashimoto, but aides got in between the two men, NHK reported.

Although the meeting was originally intended to be a civil discussion, it quickly degenerated into a shouting match with both parties insulting each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxL383jN484

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what he's complaining about. Other than Unicorn, Reconguista in G is the best thing to come out of the Gundam franchise in over a decade. CE era, 00, AGE, Build Fighters, all disappointing, middling, or terrible in their own rights (00 was "okay"). Reconguista in G is a great combination of Tomino's old school Zeta style and his more optimistic Turn A-and-later era style.

Tomino's great. He's still an excellent director and even his writing has improved.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel that I stopped caring for Gundam Plot like a decade ago, I honestly watch it for the mechs. However this show looks too much like E7 but lacks the interesting plot so I might drop it too Rolling Eyes
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
lol we're printing blatant hate articles now and trying to direct opinion in a certain direction. Keep on keeping on with that rather obvious bias ANN. You're no different from the general blogosphere.

Also this guy hasn't done anything in years while Tomino is working his ass off with this show pretty much trying to do everything by himself. If he wants to criticize maybe he should actually do some work and provide a suitable counterpoint to G-Reco instead of just sitting on the sideline taking potshots and styling himself the Otaking. Just what a load of BS, the fact that ANN even considers this newsworthy just says a lot about the state of the industry and it's mouthpieces.

Anyway it's funny that this ego tripping fellow points to Parasyte as some sort of highlight cause I'm finding that show largely aimless and like nothing really interesting is going on all the same.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying Reconguista, but I knew it would be criticized and barely watched. What's more, when ANN made a poll of "what series do you want to see reviewed?" G-Reco wasn't even an option xD.

I agree it can be quite confusing and SOME of the dialogue is clunky; the story is also presented in a very unfriendly (for the viewer) manner and it's too zany for mainstream appeal. I also cannot believe Tomino intended this for kids considering the huge amount of terminology that cannot be neither understood or enjoyed by newcomers.

Having admitted it is indeed flawed, I also believe it's much more interesting than trash like Captain Earth or "shocking plot twist of the week" Aldnoah Zero. It also has a very unique visual presentation, and it's not just about the art (which is basically not neither now nor retro at all, it's king gainer & eureka seven all over again); the situations the characters get in and the small details in animation and body language makes them a lot more dynamic than your regular anime with lots of stills and panning.

And since we're talking about an ex-Gainax member, I wonder if he ever said something about Eva 3.33, which IMO is one of the worst anime movies ever made.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
"I can't figure out what's going on"

Isn't that the entire point of Gundam?

That is pretty much what is going on, if Gundam R is going the usual course for a Gundam series it will be well past episode 12 before the "real narrative" finally begins.

That said, I highly disagree in the concept of "do what everyone else is doing" as a so called solution for Tomino's writing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

Shouting match, Japanese-style!

Hashimoto, Zaitokukai chairman get into shouting match

• OSAKA — A meeting between Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto and Makoto Sakurai, the chairman of Zaitokukai, a group that has repeatedly engaged in hate speech against Korean residents in Japan, ended after only 10 minutes when both men started shouting at each other.

The two men were seated at tables about three meters apart at Monday’s meeting at the Osaka government office. At one point, Sakurai stood up and approached Hashimoto, but aides got in between the two men, NHK reported.

Although the meeting was originally intended to be a civil discussion, it quickly degenerated into a shouting match with both parties insulting each other.

Yeah I saw that article yesterday, and this shouting match makes me laugh a bit, but back on topic: I hope not to see this between Tomino and Okada like what I saw between Hashimoto and that racist dude.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Too bad, since I really like the show a lot. It's only past Ep. 4 and Turn A Gundam itself took its time to get the ball going, IIRC not until the latter teen eps., and was still great all the way through. Bits and pieces of the world are being brought together with each passing episode, so I wouldn't get that bent out of shape over it this early.

Yeah, but keep in mind Turn-A was 4 cours and this will only be 2. He is going to have to pick it up a bit faster than Turn-A. Which I think it is doing.

lizardking461 wrote:
Whilst I agree with his sentiments - even as a long time Gundam fan - I wouldn't characterise that rambling as the musings of a "scholar"... if he genuinely is an academic then I've been writing about the wrong subject all these years!

If Todai had/let him come give a guest lecture, then I'd say he is an academic. Thats the equivalent of doing a guest lecture at an Ivy League school in the US... they don't just get to do that because they muse and ramble well.

FenixFiesta wrote:
That said, I highly disagree in the concept of "do what everyone else is doing" as a so called solution for Tomino's writing.

I think the fact that he clearly isn't doing what Gundam has done for the last 10 years is why this might actually turn out really good. I could easily also cause it to turn out far worse, but there is only so much you can do when you just try to keep playing it safe by staying in the mold.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been a Gundam fan for a long time, though perhaps not nearly as long as others. I started with Gundam Wing and G Gundam. However, I have watched older stuff and generally liked F91. But here's my beef with G-Reco. It's basically fanservice for those Gundam hipsters. And I don't mean hipster in a derogatory sense. I'm merely using it to refer to fans who have been around since the beginning.

G-Reco is old school. From the characters, to the mobile suits, the cinematography, and even the designs. It's all classic Tomino. It evokes and 80's sense, even if it is more flashy. The characters and mobile suits seem less solidly drawn, something typical of a low-budget production. The background are pretty and solid, but the mobile suits and characters have constantly fluctuating pencil lines(Or what passes for pencil lines when drawn on a computer). They don't look solid. Let me simplify that: It looks old.

G-Reco is not the kind of Gundam series that will draw in newer fans or appeal to fans who jumped on board in the last decade and a half. G-Reco is fanservice for the older fans. It is an extension of the Universal Century timeline and constantly references that. I frequent a Gundam RP Forum, and most of the people there are Gundam hipsters. They vastly prefer the original UC Tomino works over everything else. And from the beginning, they've been far more excited for G-Reco than any previous series. Why? Because it's Tomino and its what they first fell in love with. For people like me who grey up with the alternate timelines, even the Tomino ones like Wing, G, and Turn A, some us aren't excited for G-Reco because it seems old despite being new. Build Fighter Try, to me, is far more exciting and I'm loving it to death. My favorite Gundam series to date is Gundam 00. SEED and Wing are close seconds. Yes, I said it. I like SEED. I know, to a lot of you that invalidates my opinion immediately, but to bad.

tl;dr I don't think G-Reco is really for newer fans. It's a tribute to old school Gundam and its fans. So to each their own, but honestly, there's two camps. One is happy, the other is not as happy, mostly indifferent.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Going through this channel this guy seems to have some long standing beef with Tomino that goes way back since he seems to talk about him a lot and describe how everything he does is apparently wrong. All the more reason to take this guys opinions with a grain of salt since it's clear he has a bone to pick with the creator as opposed to his shows. He also comes across as some half-baked comedian/buffoon that seems to take himself really seriously anyway, like a Japanese Glenn Beck or something.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
G-Reco is old school. From the characters, to the mobile suits, the cinematography, and even the designs. It's all classic Tomino.

Yes, I said it. I like SEED. I know, to a lot of you that invalidates my opinion immediately, but to bad.

Except the character designs look absolutely nothing like classic gundam. They look like E7 would if it was made in the 80s.

And that only invalidates your opinion with the crowd that thinks they are cool if they hate on things because they are popular.
No Comment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
LOL! He's pretty much on the money. I enjoy watching the show week to week because of how visually cool it is (those 2D mechs), but as of now the story is muddled and kinda nonsensical, and the characters come off as somewhat inconsistent in their behavior. Not that such accusations are alien to Tomino's work. I think at this point things like Ideon, ZZ Gundam, and Garzey's Wing have numbed me to the standard level of nonsensicality in his writing. Unecessarily confusing show? Yes. Enjoyable and fun show? Yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7