• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate Finale Will Not Air on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that they're re-airing Titan, but wouldn't it be better if they moved it down a timeslot or two? Everybody who was really following it on the Toonami block will likely have seen it the first time, just like any other TV show. They didn't Keep Space Dandy at 12:30 after that was over. If people really wanted to see it later they'd just buy it on DVD/Blu-ray or stream it. I was hoping they'd replace it with another new anime series. :/
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure why they're leading off with AoT reruns when Kai and InuYasha: TFA are premieres.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure why they're leading off with AoT reruns when Kai and InuYasha: TFA are premieres.

Well, Kai is a premiere 'kinda' anyway. It's already aired on Nicktoons before (albeit edited) as well as the CW (even more edited), and it's more or less DBZ light to begin with...so I can kinda see why it's not the block leader. AoT going before Final Act though? That is a bit strange.

Disappointed about Hellsing Ultimate too, but I was going to have to miss out on it anyway due to the freakin' Dish squabble going on right now, so...meh. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

Seems they thought they did:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/100837368973/hellsing-announcement-apology

• So…when we started out we were told we were getting all 10 Hellsing Ultimates. And it turns out we aren’t. Sorry. We encourage you to finish the story where you can find it. We will always try to do our best, but sometimes that isn’t good enough. Enjoy it while it’s on.

http://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/525714976854781953

• @bradsmithVR I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but we do have broadcast rights for 9 & 10.

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/119503419113

• Jason DeMarco @Clarknova
    Co-creator/Exec Producer of Toonami. A&R, Williams Street Records. Creative Director/Vice President, Adult Swim On-Air
    https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

It's not a matter of us "keeping tabs," anon. We are only six people, working for free on Toonami, doing the best we can. We can't control other departments and we are not privy to every detail of the various deals made. And those deals are not written in stone, they can change. There's nothing we can do about that. TV isn't always neat and tidy and you shouldn't automatically assume when something happens you don't like, it's due to negligence.

So apparently there's some miscommunication in different offices. Toonami thought they had all of it, but then turns out they didn't. Maybe somebody promised/expected they could secure all the money for the whole deal, but then couldn't come up with enough dough in the end. Who knows? Unless some un-named source decides to leak...........
(Ask the NSA..... or Snowden...... they probably know.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Obviously they didn't have an iron-clad agreement, which they should have secured before they started airing. I realize these things occur, and it relieves some of their guilt, but it shouldn't be the viewer's problem. Don't tell me about the labor pain, just show me the baby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
We should be kinda used to this though. Stuff like this happens on J-TV all the time. Something we thought is gonna air, then it's not, something happens, not as many episodes as we thought, the studio couldn't finish the episode in time, recap episode, etc. and next thing ya know, we have to wait for the Blu-ray months later.

At least this time, if ya really want to see it, there are other ways instead of waiting that long. It's a better situation all things considered.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

Seems they thought they did:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/100837368973/hellsing-announcement-apology

• So…when we started out we were told we were getting all 10 Hellsing Ultimates. And it turns out we aren’t. Sorry. We encourage you to finish the story where you can find it. We will always try to do our best, but sometimes that isn’t good enough. Enjoy it while it’s on.

http://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/525714976854781953

• @bradsmithVR I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but we do have broadcast rights for 9 & 10.

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/119503419113

• Jason DeMarco @Clarknova
    Co-creator/Exec Producer of Toonami. A&R, Williams Street Records. Creative Director/Vice President, Adult Swim On-Air
    https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

It's not a matter of us "keeping tabs," anon. We are only six people, working for free on Toonami, doing the best we can. We can't control other departments and we are not privy to every detail of the various deals made. And those deals are not written in stone, they can change. There's nothing we can do about that. TV isn't always neat and tidy and you shouldn't automatically assume when something happens you don't like, it's due to negligence.

So apparently there's some miscommunication in different offices. Toonami thought they had all of it, but then turns out they didn't. Maybe somebody promised/expected they could secure all the money for the whole deal, but then couldn't come up with enough dough in the end. Who knows? Unless some un-named source decides to leak...........
(Ask the NSA..... or Snowden...... they probably know.)

Hahaha! I think it's time I coined a name for this little snafu: "Hellsingate!" Eat it up, yo!

(Meanwhile Gurren Lagann keeps on kicking copious amounts of butt on Toonami!)
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
I was pleading to see all of Hellsing Ulitimate on TV, but I guess that dream just got derailed. I get that miscomunincations like this happen, and I am glad we were notified about it. But I am still am sad about this. Sad A part of me died when I heard the news, and sure I can catch them online, but I am not gonna lie: I am gonna miss seeing #HellsingUltimate light up my twitter feed on Saturday nights. Sad
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Waiting on FUNimation's response to this, but I get the feeling it'll only confirm my suspicions that this is nothing but a shameless marketing stunt that I hope will backfire on them in the worst possible manner.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
Wonder what the snafu was? I'm guessing it was legal.

I'm guessing Funi didn't want them aired on TV within a month of their release on the 28th.

but it wouldnt have hurt any of the sales either way since the TV broadcast would be edited while the dvd version is uncut.

Besides this is how series was back then. they got released on TV first, then get a DVD release afterwards. but now its all backwards. and the end of bleach will unfortunately mean the end of this trend. hopefully vols 8,9 & 10 wont be as severely edited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
I think the hope is that Funi pulled a bait and switch, because the alternative is that Toonami is close to going downhill.

If it was an issue of negligence, then that means the people working there are losing interest and may not be willing to keep doing this for too much longer.

If it was a financial issue, then that means despite all the popularity the block has seemingly received, there is not as much money coming in, or no confidence in that stream of revenue, to commit.

Both were issues that ended up undercutting and ultimately killing off Toonami in the past. Keeping AoT in the lead-off for another run suggests they are trying as hard as they can to keep viewers coming by riding the coattails of a show they've already had some success with. They don't have any confidence in their new acquisitions, for some good reasons one may argue.

More basically it calls into question whether they will try to go the OVA route again. It was very minor, but I know some who were hoping for a return of Gundam via Unicorn. That's very, very, unlikely to begin with. It would seem DOA now. But there are other OVA series some would have been hoping to make it to Toonami, but whatever likelihood there was for it to happen before, that probably has dropped significantly in the short-term just from basically being gun-shy of something like this happening again.

Let's hope this is just a small rough patch, but let's not gloss over the fact that it can be a sign of bigger problems than just these two episodes. No need to panic if you're a Toonami fan, but be aware.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably try to run Shingeki for as long as possible hoping the second season hits sometime next year. After that, what's the next "big" anime they could run on the block?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
SAO2 would probably be the next one
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait... I'm confused. The headline and the article don't match up.

The headline says the Finale won't air. But the article says episodes 8 and 9 won't air and that the finale will air in episode 8's place.

Can someone explain?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Wait... I'm confused. The headline and the article don't match up.

The headline says the Finale won't air. But the article says episodes 8 and 9 won't air and that the finale will air in episode 8's place.

Can someone explain?

When it says (finale) on the lineup, that just means its the end of the broadcast run which is ending with Vol 8 of Hellsing Ultimate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4