• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing Ultimate Blu-Ray 9-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Hn, I actually had no grump with the animation style change from 7 to 8 and I sat and watched all 10 episodes (8 hour runtime btw) in one day.... I had parts of each that were my favorites and nothing the animation did caused anything to be less enjoyable.

And the gripe about the battle between the Major and Integra... Well, I see it in a totally different light. Theirs was a war of words and choice more than a physical one. The take on the Major was placed out clearly earlier that he wasn't a person to fight; he couldn't even shoot anything. Power of command and charisma.

And Hellsing may be a Horror genre series but it's also a Drama series; the ending just shows more of the latter. Seeing the characters I love adapt to the situations around and grow or change is what makes Hellsing (the manga and the Ultimate OVA that adapts it) one of my favorite...it's not all about the slaughter; the slaughter was just part a larger piece.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I was glad to finally see the entire series. As for this last part, I was a little confused about some things. What was with Anderson's origins; he talked at one point like he knew Alucard back when he was Dracula or did I misunderstand something? As for Walter, his motive for turning traitor was a little unclear but I assume it was jealousy.

It was a long wait but worth it. Now off to read the manga! Very Happy
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
What was with Anderson's origins; he talked at one point like he knew Alucard back when he was Dracula or did I misunderstand something? As for

Anderson is an agent of god, or rather "instrument." Alucard (or rather Vlad Tepes) was "abandoned by god" a very long time ago, so he refers to Anderson as his nemesis.
thelastronin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hellsing isn't "horror" per se. It's more like action-oriented vampire mythos masturbation. But boy is it immensely satisfying vampire mythos masturbation. Because it goes that extra mile to be way, way over the top and gloriously cheesy, while still maintaining some semblance of cleverness- not insight, mind you, but cleverness- and comes out decadently glorious.

But it's no more self-indulgent or drawn out than, say, most Yasuhiro Imagawa anime, or Hiroyuki Imaishi's works. I fail to see where the show's trumpeted aspects suddenly become problems just in the final act. It knows what it is and remains so.

Probably the best post about this review.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
I'm not a manga person, and as I mentioned I've never read the source material or internalized its charms and flaws. But I did see Gonzo's Hellsing series when it came out, and it had class, a lot more class than Hellsing Ultimate has at the end of its journey. Seras Victoria was the central figure, if not the protagonist of that series. Within its splashy, stylish framework we got to see her character grow and develop as the undead child of a legendary supernatural figure to something resembling self-sufficiency and usefulness, and there was meaning in that!

I agree with you. But really the problem with Ultimate is that it is a lot like the manga, i.e. trashy and exploitative above all else. Precisely because the TV only had a couple chapters to expand into a 12 ep series, they had to delve into atmosphere and emotional resonance, and give the explosive moments meaning. No need to do that work if you have multiple volumes of exploding gore and OTT cheese to adapt.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
You know, that's something I can definitely get behind. Hellsing purists will always place Ultimate in highest regard, because source material, but I always thought of Gonzo's series as the better effort. It may not have been as pretty or over-the-top, but it had style and substance. And that music! Hot damn.

Sometimes, a soundtrack can be so good in lifting a series that it more than pulls its own weight. Take a look at Darker than Black for example. That's a....very messy show, to put it mildly. But when the action kicks in, and those beats kick in as well, you find yourself having a whole lot more fun than you initially would.

I'm pretty certain that animation discrepancies and monologues aside, if Ultimate brought back Ishii, this review wouldn't have been nearly as harsh. Ultimate had a crap score at worst, mildly lifting at best with the Warsaw orchestra.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
You know, that's something I can definitely get behind. Hellsing purists will always place Ultimate in highest regard, because source material, but I always thought of Gonzo's series as the better effort. It may not have been as pretty or over-the-top, but it had style and substance. And that music! Hot damn.

I actually think the attempt at "substance" in both the TV series and OVA were weak overall. In the TV series it wasn't quite as annoying as the lenghty monologues in Ultimate, but the show was still sort of ruined by it's awful excuse for a plot. Ultimate's wasn't great by any means, but it at least got the basics right. The TV anime feels like half of a series
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
I watched the tv series years ago and bought every volume. I was disappointed that it ended on a cliffhanger. So I was excited when it was revealed a new version closer to then manga was being made. But my first impressions of Ultimate were not good, I couldn't get past the art style. (Why was Seras suddenly so damn ugly???) But I decided to give it a chance and it won me over.

While I do acknowledge that the tv series had its charms, it no longer seems as good as Ultimate. However, I do concede that the overall story could be better. I personally wouldn't mind a reboot.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:

I actually think the attempt at "substance" in both the TV series and OVA were weak overall. In the TV series it wasn't quite as annoying as the lenghty monologues in Ultimate, but the show was still sort of ruined by it's awful excuse for a plot. Ultimate's wasn't great by any means, but it at least got the basics right. The TV anime feels like half of a series

"Substance" doesn't always translate to a "good plot." I was really more referring to the characterization. Pretty much everyone (except Penwood) were given more development in the TV series.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
gedata wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:

"Substance" doesn't always translate to a "good plot." I was really more referring to the characterization. Pretty much everyone (except Penwood) were given more development in the TV series.

The reason why I brought up the plot was because I felt that the TV series could've gone a lot further with it's characters with more episodes.

Also I fail to see how Anderson, Alucard, Walter, or pretty much anyone who isn't Seras and maybe Integra had more development. They really don't, like at all.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
The TV anime feels like half of a series

If you watch a lot of anime you should be used to that Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
gedata wrote:
The TV anime feels like half of a series

If you watch a lot of anime you should be used to that Wink

It was incomplete because I believe only one or two volumes of the manga had been published at the time. So they had to make some stuff up; also I don't think Hellsing did too well in Japan. Probably just got canceled. It's a miracle we even got Hellsing Ultimate!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching this (not sure why Hope and Zac think this vol. ran 3 hours when it wasn't even 2) and I have only a couple of minor complaints.

I felt like the music, esp in the end credits, didn't live up to the previous 8 (although I guess technically the redux for X still works). I love the Major and his speeches, but even I was wanting one of them to put a bullet in his head during his last rant just to shut him up. I'm still slightly in the dark about Walter's heel-face turn, but not so much that it's ruined anything for me.

If you want to complain about repetition, look to the commentaries. Same people, saying the same things, endlessly. I would have liked to have heard more from some people we haven't heard from before, or at least not recently, like maybe Liam O'Brien (who did a stellar job, perhaps the best thing I've ever heard him do) or Karen Strassman.

Storywise, I feel sad to imagine spoiler[what happens to Alucard and Seras when Integra dies and, what, leaves them to bureaucrats unworthy of them? That can't be their fate. I hope they figure out a way to turn to dust for good and all, with a smile on their faces.]

But I'm just delighted it got an ending (that it didn't suck is icing on the cake), and that I got to see it without being spoiled on any of it, both of which are major miracles.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
They might have recorded for well over three hours, but I know Zac is strict about eliminating dead air.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I think you're commenting on the wrong topic. This isn't about ANNcast. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4