• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing Ultimate Blu-Ray 9-10

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Now we know the real reason Funimation screwed Toonami over on the finale. Funimation saw the animation and knew they couldn't show it until after the DVD/BD sales.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the finale feels more empty than it should

I felt the same way after reading the manga.
Durga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I would say that Hellsing Ultimate definitely peaked at episode 7. It does look a lot uglier after the show left Madhouse, and the ending isn't as impactful as the stuff that's come before. Yet I still found myself liking some of the stuff in these last two episodes, mostly DER MAJOR and Alucard and Sir Integra's weirdly charming relationship. And I remember years ago a friend of mine complaining about the thing with Schrodinger in the manga, yet that didn't bother me for whatever reason.

Yeah, this is the weakest part, and it's especially noticeable after how good the Madhouse episodes were, yet I'm happy to at least see this series concluded. The show holds a special place in my heart for being a really entertaining mess. The troubled production of both the OVAs and the manga is a shame though.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Yes, the manga prequel meant to flesh out Walter was serialized alongside Hellsing in Young King Ours, but try telling readers of the english Dark Horse volumes that.)

Or how 'bout the fact that The Dawn was also fully animated in bite-sized episodes, yet Funimation chose not to include it with this release. Cause, you know, I'm sure it's got noooothing to do with the fact that they want to sell it separately and milk it for all its worth.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:

Or how 'bout the fact that The Dawn was also fully animated in bite-sized episodes, yet Funimation chose not to include it with this release. Cause, you know, I'm sure it's got noooothing to do with the fact that they want to sell it separately and milk it for all its worth.

Weirdly the first episode of The Dawn is on the 5-8 set, but it isn't dubbed. Then they just didn't get the other two episodes I guess.

Altogether it's maybe 30 minutes of animation so I doubt they'll release it on its own.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
And the Dawn manga itself has been on hiatus for years, and even then, is only a couple chapters long. If the Dawn is supposed to give some insight into Walter's character, it hasn't shown it yet, and who knows if it will ever get a chance to.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Durga wrote:
And I remember years ago a friend of mine complaining about the thing with Schrodinger in the manga, yet that didn't bother me for whatever reason.

My girlfriend absolutely ADORES Schrodinger (as well as Schrodinger cosplayers).
However, she wasn't amused by Laura Bailey's voice dubbing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really notice any big steps down, production-wise. I guess it's the sort of thing you really have to pour over to pick up on. The aesthetic was maintained steadily. The finale looked about as good as any other part of it to me.

It was a big, boisterous, fun finale with a lot of hammy, over-the-top speeches and monologues, and big, dramatic plot elements, just the way the manga (and this OVA) had always been. It's weird that anybody who'd been enjoying this from the beginning could suddenly decide at the end that those things were bad, but I guess it could wear thin after a while. It's like GL, or KLK, or Giant Robo, in that regard.

My only problem with this series is that Hirano didn't really do enough to explain why nobody outside of London could interfere. Militaries would be pouring into that place, supernatural monsters or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:

Weirdly the first episode of The Dawn is on the 5-8 set, but it isn't dubbed. Then they just didn't get the other two episodes I guess.

Altogether it's maybe 30 minutes of animation so I doubt they'll release it on its own.

Aren't they about 15 minutes each? Still, they released the FMA Brotherhood OVA's separately and that was less than 50 minutes worth of stuff.

The real irony is, as I recall, that it was Taliesin Jaffe who negotiated directly with Geneon and Satelight to animate The Dawn as part of the series. In fact, it was one of the big bullet points he made when unveiling the first episode's dub.

Shenl742 wrote:
And the Dawn manga itself has been on hiatus for years, and even then, is only a couple chapters long. If the Dawn is supposed to give some insight into Walter's character, it hasn't shown it yet, and who knows if it will ever get a chance to.

I'm pretty sure the The Dawn manga has concluded. Prematurely to be sure, but still wrapped up. If I'm not mistaken, the big reveal was that spoiler[Mina Harker's corpse was the source for the nazi vampire experiments.] Unless it isn't and I'm missing something...

penguintruth wrote:
My only problem with this series is that Hirano didn't really do enough to explain why nobody outside of London could interfere. Militaries would be pouring into that place, supernatural monsters or not.

As I recall, The Major made one of the US President's cabinet advisers a vampire, so they had their own shit to deal with. As for the rest of the world....when you really get around to it, the whole "war" took place practically overnight. I really don't think that's enough time for any country's military to get there. Probably for the clean up, but I doubt much else. I mean...the world is having a hard enough time dealing with a bunch of scruffy rapist terrorists. We'd be screwed if vampire nazis started trouble. Razz
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Well that was harsher than I expected. This is why I don't like reading reviews: it ruins everything for me.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the The Dawn manga has concluded. Prematurely to be sure, but still wrapped up. If I'm not mistaken, the big reveal was that spoiler[Mina Harker's corpse was the source for the nazi vampire experiments.] Unless it isn't and I'm missing something...

Well there hasn't been a new chapter since 2008. Not at home right now so i can't check any scans but nothing is really concluded and it pretty much "ends" right in the middle of one fight with it clearly looking like more is meant to happen.

As for the spoiler revelation you're talking about, that actually happend near the end of the original manga proper. It's also where right before spoiler[Walter kills the Doctor, before dying himself]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've seen 9 and 10, and I guess if I think back it might have been stilted in animation. But unless I'm looking for that stuff on purpose I don't tend to notice it, and that's only if the art is shitty, which it was not in these OVAs.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I grew up with Hellsing. Childhood, dreams and whatnot, have to come to an end. And looking back, nothing ever develops or grows into exactly what we expect or intend. Years of collecting merchandise, re releases, and waiting HAVE made me grateful its over, and try to focus on the journey that shaped me into the fan I am today.

The only thing I didn't get was a damn artbox. I'll get over that, I suppose, Funi~chan. Twisted Evil
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope the animation isn't bad as you say, 5 to 7, animated by Madhouse was the high point in animation, but still 8 was quite good. Speeches have never been this shows high point, it has some great banter but the speeches are terrible, the worst being 4 where it went on for ever.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The ultimate truth is that Hellsing Ultimate peaked in the TV series, the opener I think. The OVA series lost me around...

No, no, I hated it from the start. There's a way to do "Uber vampire spoiler[ who totally isn't Dracula] {is that a spoiler now or 70 years ago?}" versus "Vampire Nazis" but first, you don't set the majority of the story 60 years after WWII. First, the Nazis lost meaning right after the Major's speech and then the vampire part lost meaning after episode 4.

Hellsing the TV series: So much wasted potential.
Hellsing Ultimate: What potential? Even Anderson's story took a turn for the stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4