• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Rayearth TV, Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, Descendants of Darkness, IGPX, Lupin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I already have MKR and since it's been languishing in my backlog (or would "pile of shame" be a better fit?) since I had played through the SNES game, so unless I happen to watch it and fall in love and it's a nice upgrade in quality, I will probably be skipping the BD release.

Lupin might be fun and IGPX wasn't bad, but I don't think I'd pick it up unless it contained the original pilot shorts as a bonus feature.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
I was expecting them to get that Lupin special. It's one of my favorites, definitely getting it.

Why is it called "Bank of Liberty" though? Shouldn't it be "From Russia with Love"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I was expecting them to get that Lupin special. It's one of my favorites, definitely getting it.

Why is it called "Bank of Liberty" though? Shouldn't it be "From Russia with Love"?

Maybe they don't want to confuse James Bond fans?

It is the best Bond movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:

Probably to avoid confusion with the James Bond movie.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

Maybe they don't want to confuse James Bond fans?

It is the best Bond movie.
Ah, I see. In that case, it makes sense.

I've never seen a single Jams Bond film so honestly I had no idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who thinks in terms of books when James Bond in mentioned. They were really popular before the movies took over.

From Russia With Love the book came out in 1957, the movie in 1963. I expect the people who named the anime did so intentionally.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayeart on BR?! Awesome, I hope it turns into a successful seller and they continue with BR releases. Slayer next?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas would be great on Bluray as well. It's a relatively new show and was made be on Bluray, i mean aired in HD.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Magic Knight Rayeart on BR?! Awesome, I hope it turns into a successful seller and they continue with BR releases. Slayers next?

Um, last I checked, Slayers had series sets available from Funimation, unless you're referring to the OVA's, Movies, or other extra's from that series that hasn't been re-released yet, or something.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Um, last I checked, Slayers had series sets available from Funimation

That's for seasons 4 & 5, seasons 1-3 have yet to get a re-release since 2009 and with the packaging they used for that set (book-style digipak similar to Cinedigm's complete Yu-Gi-Oh set), we would think that FUNi would have switched to something cheaper by now.

Quote:
unless you're referring to the OVA's, Movies, or other extra's from that series that hasn't been re-released yet, or something.

ADV used to have those but not anymore it seems since there hasn't been a re-release of them since 2008.

Thankfully with them coming to Blu-ray in Japan in February, this could push someone to pick them up here again and with or without Blu-ray, this would be a good thing because the previous releases looked awful and had various issues such as most of the films being letterboxed.

I would love it if Sentai or Maiden Japan picked them up so we can get some of those ADV extras back but I wouldn't be against Discotek getting them either.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Too bad this isn't the TOONAMI CUT version which has slightly different and better imo music choices and Peter Cullen narrating the beginning and ending of each episode.

But glad the show hasn't completely fallen into the abyss of no return.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I was hoping that they could pick up Rune Soldier.

Oh well, I could settle for IGPX and Magic Knight Rayearth.

and that itself dont make sense. doesnt CN already own the series already just like with the second season of big O? unless they gave up the rights to Production IG who animated the series, i dont see how disoteck would be able to release it let alone have the distribution rights.

Also this new will mean that the chances of the lost canvas getting an uncut english dub have gone out the window. though considering that the TV series didn't sell well when ADV had released it along with an uncut english dub version (though its kinda a double standard that some otakus would bash the DIC version of SM but not their version of Saint Seiya )

Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
Too bad this isn't the TOONAMI CUT version which has slightly different and better imo music choices and Peter Cullen narrating the beginning and ending of each episode.

I'm afraid your wrong about that.

cullen didn't narrated the beginning and ending of those eps whether their the edited toonami version or the uncut dvd version when bandai had the distribution rights. that voice was used during every single trailer for every series toonami did back when it was relevant in the late 90's. sure he sounds like cullen , but believe me , it not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

I'm afraid your wrong about that.

cullen didn't narrated the beginning and ending of those eps whether their the edited toonami version or the uncut dvd version when bandai had the distribution rights. that voice was used during every single trailer for every series toonami did back when it was relevant in the late 90's. sure he sounds like cullen , but believe me , it not.

Umm Peter Cullen did Narrate the openings and next episode titles.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487183/epcast

You can go to almost any webpage about IGPX and find that Cullen did narrate them. Listen for yourself, its Peter Cullen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvYoepb0ydc
LonelySoul 8515

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Rayearth on Blu ray YAY! Hopefully they won't screw it up like Sailor Moon part 1 on Blu ray. My VHS tapes looked better.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Is Discotek's business model just picking dirt-cheap licenses that make people say "Hey, I've heard of that!"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4