• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tekken 7 Producer: Lucky Chloe Character Is Exclusive to Europe, East Asia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I think he's being facetious while taking a jab at the stereotypical tastes of American gamers.

I'd wager this is the case.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Harada said a different character will be available for North American players. He described the character as muscular and bald.

Haha, another Mike Tyson revival!

There's too much DLC money to be made!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
I would treat neogaf like 2-chan and should not be found credible.

2ch is pretty reliable. Insiders post there. I would treat NeoGaf just like Kotaku and all the Gawker owned services and most news outlets.

Actually if you're not aware 2ch is controversial for allowing racist/xenophobic views. I did read up some controversy about Kotaku, but that's where I get most of my Japanese pop culture (mostly obscure Japanese pop culture you can't find anywhere else) news from them.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
ANN is reporting sarcastic tweets as news, now? It was pretty obvious Harada wasn't serious about replacing Lucky Chloe.

Can you really look back at the last few years of the Western gaming scene and say with certainty something like this couldn't happen? It's entirely possible with the way things are heading that this could be the reality of the American gaming scene. Just look at Grand Theft Auto V being banned in select stores. Jack Thompson would be proud.

enurtsol wrote:
Harada said a different character will be available for North American players. He described the character as muscular and bald.

Now let's see if the Shonen Jump Weekly's get upset over being called out and try to play the homophobe card again like they did with Kamitani.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Actually if you're not aware 2ch is controversial for allowing racist/xenophobic views.

That has nothing to do with 2ch being an incredibly credible and influential community for certain media like anime and games. It's an insult to 2ch to try to lump them in with NeoGAF or even Kotaku. It's all community interaction, with no journalists or editors filtering things on what they want to you read about or see.

-Stuart Smith
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Actually if you're not aware 2ch is controversial for allowing racist/xenophobic views.

That has nothing to do with 2ch being an incredibly credible and influential community for certain media like anime and games. It's an insult to 2ch to try to lump them in with NeoGAF or even Kotaku. It's all community interaction, with no journalists or editors filtering things on what they want to you read about or see.
-Stuart Smith

I'm sorry but racism and discrimination is unacceptable, no matter what. That's like saying that you accept racism and discrimination, you know your pro-Japanese bias is showing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think people would take your criticisms of 2ch more seriously if it wasn't obvious they are fueled by your fascination with Korea and are upset over the possibility people who don't might post on there. Considering the bulk of your posts seem to be dedicated to Korea and being anti-Japanese, perhaps critcizing other sites and posters on possible racist, discrmination, and bias may not be the most wisest course of action when it could be applied to yourself as well.
LargeView

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm sorry but racism and discrimination is unacceptable, no matter what. That's like saying that you accept racism and discrimination, you know your pro-Japanese bias is showing.

Yet despite you writing all of this... you defend Hollywood whitewashing characters of color and saying it's perfectly fine that they don't give actors of color the same opportunities they give white actors. Confused

The hypocrisy you displayed here is off the charts.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After doing some research I'm afraid Lucky Chloe may have been the victim of the on-going Gamergate controversy (which I didn't know was going on until just now). One source said this:

One angry gamer wrote:
It’s hilarious because the #GamerGate folk fighting against corruption and the censorship of their games actually don’t mind Lucky Chloe, but the folks fighting to keep corruption rampant and to censor games are against Chloe. It’s almost like the folk who hate #GamerGate don’t want women in the gaming industry. Who would have thunk it? -

This GamerGate nonsense was easy enough to ignore when it's on tumblr. SMH if it's affecting actual products.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
You guys really should read the NeoGAF thread about Chloe, it's hilarious how much stupid salty rage is in there.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure Harada was just trolling around and Bandai Namco has yet to confirm that. Region-exclusive characters are the next worst thing to happen in the field of exclusivity.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I found this dandy on Neogaf that sums up the rage and disdain for poor Chloe.

Quote:
Diversity is only good when it caters to my taste

My god, people can be so judgmental when it comes to anything that's too cute, You'd think gamers in the West left that phase in the early 2000's and accept Japan and it's tendency to have cute characters.

A little offtopic: I wonder what Cinderella Girl Harada likes since he's a big Idolm@ster fan.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
People can argue about their nonsense and I can leave them be, but when it starts affecting products, especially products I might buy (the last Tekken game), then it becomes my business and I tell them to back the hell off.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
You guys really should read the NeoGAF thread about Chloe, it's hilarious how much stupid salty rage is in there.

As much as I try not to jump to stereotypical conclusions that most people who complain about video games don't actually play them, it's hard not to think that when I read that thread. This nonsense talk about Chloe introducing "anime' or "moe" to the Tekken series does make me wonder how many people complaining have played Tekken before. It's had that stuff for years. Lili is your standard ojou-sama, Alisa is your standard robot waifu type. Characters like Asuka and Xaioyu fulfill your typical schoolgirl quota. Chloe is hardly anything new to the series.

-Stuart Smith
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The NeoGaf thread is also confusing because they already posted a pic of Harada dressed up and ready to go in his IM@S gear...

I feel like all discussion should have just stopped after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4