• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Go Lefties! Yeah! I mean *ahem* I'm glad to see so may liberal anime fans.

My input for the topic of racism in Japan: There is some racism, but there more polite about it. It's still revelant though. Some hot springs or bath houses won't let foreigners use them. Also, some japanese children get scared around tall foreigners. (Well, at least that's what my friend told me)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
If I may say something that's not about America/politics/racism:
AnswerMan wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we should all act like the anime companies are these benevolent entities that only ever act in the interest of the fans - certainly that isn't true (nor is it realistic to expect), but I think the healthiest "relationship" you can reasonably have with a company like ADV is simply to remain neutral. Sure, complain if you don't like whatever DVD they just released, and let them know you have a problem with it. But ranting and raving about the "evil empire" is just annoying hyperbole. It isn't like they're grinding up kittens to make Pani Poni Dash DVDs.

At least, I don't think so. If they are, then you can call them evil, I suppose.
Hmm, my cat went missing 2 weeks ago, and Pani Poni Dash! DVD 1 comes out in December. Coincidence? Twisted Evil J/k, I've never had a cat.

I think there are some specific reasons for all the "evil" talk that people are reluctant to admit to...anime companies are "evil" because they license anime and make fansubbers stop...they're "evil" because they send C&D's to torrent sites to cut off the flow of free anime, and they try to charge a fair market price to make money from all the work they do. I used to think that DVDs were too expensive, but then I got smart and found the right sites online to buy from. Besides, for all the licensing costs, dubbing, translating, production, marketing, and overhead expenses that the companies have to deal with, R1 DVDs are pretty reasonable. They're not as cheap on average as a season of Simpsons or Friends, but somehow I still managed to get all 26 episodes of s-CRY-ed (legit DVDs) for $27.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
There's so much wrong with what Wandering Knight is saying, it's almost comical.

Wandering Knight wrote:
BUT! Like I said, we're practically BOMBARDED by your culture. Culture depicting your usual way of life. Television, for example. But that's not the only case.

No, you are not bombarded by our culture. You are bombarded by our popular culture. Going to McDonalds and watching Lost on TV doesn't mean you know what the US is really about anymore than playing Final Fantasy and watching anime means you know what Japan is like.

Quote:
And behind the fact that Republicans are extremely right-wing conservatives? Do I actually need to live there to know that?

No, you don't need to live in the US to know that fact, because your so-called fact is horrendously false. Extremely right-wing conservatives are a tiny percentage of the Republican population. Most people are in the middle of the liberal/conservative spectrum. Most liberals have conservative views on certain subjects and most conservatives have liberal views on certain subjects.

Likewise, 50% of America is not racist right wingers. Being racist is actually very unpopular in America these days.

Quote:
I repeat, don't let your nationalism get over yourselves. You should try to analyse your own society at every opportunity you have, criticise it, and accept yourself as a part of it, even if your way of thinking is completely opposite. Sometimes reality is harsh, but you have to accept it, or you won't move on.

Americans are extremely critical of their own society (and by society, I think what you really mean is government). I'm sure you can find multiple shows criticizing the Bush administration on TV at any time of day.

Quote:
There's a lot of ways to know what goes on in your country without even having to visit it. Heck, I'm currently using one of them.

Yes, you can learn about things in other countries without going there, but arguing with people who have actually lived there that your second-hand information is correct and their first hand information is false is more than a little ridiculous. It's as silly as when one of the Taiwanese teachers tries to argue with me that a certain phrase is correct in English and refuses to back down even though any native speaker could tell them that what they're saying is wrong.

Your sources on America are just as biased as anyone else's. Living in Argentina, it's natural that the media in your country would be negative towards America due to perceived racism against Mexicans. However, Americans wouldn't consider it a racism issue, but an economic issue - most Americans don't want a huge influx of cheap labor coming into the country and so stricter immigration laws on Mexico are created.

Just to warn you, trying to discount me by saying that I'm encased in the American bubble really doesn't work since in the past 6 years, only about half of my time has been spent in America (the rest in Asia, Taiwan to be specific).

Oh and I really enjoyed this week's Answerman column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

You seem to have missed my point. Which was I don't care how bad America is it doesn't excuse the Japanese. But to consider your point, just look at all the most popular shows on TV, Law and Order CSI Grey's anatomy Lost Heros. These shows do a pretty good job and that's what I mean by trying.
Two anime's that spring to mine that I have watched recently are full metal panic and tenjhe tenge. There was plenty in their you couldn't get away with in the US.

ArielTsuki wrote:

And racism is racism, no matter what form it takes in. Besides a lot of people would agree that subtle racism is more dangerous than blatant because it gives a sort of justification to exist when we can do something against blantant racism because we can see it. Both hurt the victim no more or no less than the other.

Subtle Racism is harder to defeat then blatent racism but it is also a sign of progress. The days when you could walk around on the street and say you wanted to join the KKK are over. Or that Black people are dumber are over. And that's progress.

Yes, but racism in a new form is still racism, just because you can't announce openly as much as you used to, people used other ways to express it. It still impedes on the person because of their race/ethnicity.

And Bob of Tenjo Tenge was never displayed as an idiot. I always though of him as being the calm, more rational one of the Souichirou/Bob pair. Granted I only watch five epsiodes of the anime but Bob himself was not displayed as an idiot in the episodes I watched. Although Maya's comment of Blacks being the more flexible and athetic comment did raise my eyebrow. But that stereotype exist in America also. I mean look at basketball, baseball (although it's more Latinos than anything), football and Olympic track. The only thing that TenTen did is say it outright. The comments the characters may have said of him isn't the same as the character of Bob himself.

And I wish I can clearly remember the black guy in Full Metal Panic, but I would if they presented him as an idiot, which they didn't. He was the villian though. However, I think it's more he's in an American army than anything else.

And we know how the Japanese feel about the American military.

Also, I want to point out that Grey's Anatomy and Lost are rarities, unfortunately. It's still believed that having a purely racially and ethnically diverse is a recipe for disaster in TV sitcoms and dramas. It didn't change TV muchthis season with the majority of shows still have the "one minority character", but I hope that it changes soon.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Great read this week. Lots of good insight, and knowledge allround. I admit I did not read all of the forum pages so sorry if this has already been brought up. I just got back from a big trip and I am still very busy, ANN is very relaxing to me right now. I know a little about this subject so this caught my eye.

Answerman! column wrote:
That might be true for giant mega-corporations that manipulate the government, like, you know, Exxon-Mobil, but it isn't true at all of anime companies. ..."evil"...

You just did a great job describing 'lazy cynicism' and then you engage in it. Anime dazed

First off, it is not your fault, I guess. I assume you never took a graduate level international buisness course, or got a degree in global economics. However a lot of younger people consider your word law, and in this case it isn't.

Oil companies would like nothing to do with government if they could, especially weak ones like E-M(#6 in world). If they could they wouldn't have to deal with; taxes, Tariffs(with a big T), treaties, subsidaries, international ownership of product, production limitations, sanctions, National Security, Federally mandated strategic reserves(begining in WWII), leasing of non-governmental lands(ie no one owns them(hefty fees)), I could go on. Point is they do things the way they do, because they have too. They do care about the consumer, but it is on another level due to circumstance. The government has much more control over them than the other way around.

I am not saying they are all innocent and stuff either, but calling them evil de facto is, I'm sorry, ignorant. Its the kind of 'lazy cynicism' that really 'grinds my gears'. Which is sad because your point is a very good one, and one in which I agree with. I think you just choose the phrases you used because it is fashionable to do so.

In fact if you replaced E-M with OPEC, I would agree with the statement. OPEC has a long record of trying to control governments(being very successful I might add) to the advantage of OPEC, with other means in mind than just profits. They have more control over governments across the world than any oil company could even dream of.

Anyway, please don't take this as an attack on you, I read your articles and this site for the anime news and knowledge. I don't expect you to know everything, even though you are a wizard and all Wink Like I said, it just caught my eye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I think there are some specific reasons for all the "evil" talk that people are reluctant to admit to...anime companies are "evil" because they license anime and make fansubbers stop...they're "evil" because they send C&D's to torrent sites to cut off the flow of free anime, and they try to charge a fair market price to make money from all the work they do. I used to think that DVDs were too expensive, but then I got smart and found the right sites online to buy from. Besides, for all the licensing costs, dubbing, translating, production, marketing, and overhead expenses that the companies have to deal with, R1 DVDs are pretty reasonable. They're not as cheap on average as a season of Simpsons or Friends, but somehow I still managed to get all 26 episodes of s-CRY-ed (legit DVDs) for $27.

I'll start out on topic before I jump into the little political dance going back and forth.

While there are other minor factors involved, and Zac seems to have hit them all pretty well in his article, but like most things, it boils down to economics. And the argument that "anime is overpirced - look at [Domestic DVD X]'s prices" comes up a lot more often than I'd like; not to mention the failure of most people to understand the factors of cost that comprise the total, especially when compared to something like the Simpsons and Friends.

Shows that air domestically usually have their costs covered via broadcasts and ratings, and if it has high ratings or is appreciated by a fanbase then the revenue gathered by selling DVD sets is probably 95% profit. Anime, since it does not have the exposure or the fanbase that most shows have are already starting out at a higher unit price to recover the costs invested by licensing, translating, dubbing, physical production and overhead than compared with its domestic counterparts.

As far as racism in anime goes, sure, we can chalk it up to anime being made primarily for a Japanese audience and the lack of a real homgenous culture. And racism in the US is still an underlying issue being brought to the forefront in very few actual cases and many more illusionary cases. Unless a society is completely, 100%, homegenous ethnically and culturally and completley removed from the global society, then that's a society which will not have racial problems and issues. Unfortunately, this is not the case at all and I've seen racism (or preferences) in a few other parts of the world.

CloverKuroba wrote:
Woot! Go Lefties! Yeah! I mean *ahem* I'm glad to see so may liberal anime fans.

I don't know why it still surprises me but I still find it amazing with how much of a minority I am when it comes to the demographics of the anime fanbase and my own political philosophy. I'm a very conservitive (American definition) Libertarian, though in the past I've sided with the Republicans when they followed the Goldwater-Reagan philosophies (which is completely lost on the modern party). I'm also very pro-Capitalism.

As far as foreign perceptions are concerned, I agree there is much one can learn about foreign politics and politicians through the Internet and foreign news papers but I still agree that without honest interaction with the populous of a nation or area, it's hard to judge the exact perception of said party or politician. Whomever says that there are no criticisms of American society, governance, or the current Administration has appearently never paid attention to American media. People are still debating over the practices exercised in the 2000 Presidential election six years later! The fact of the matter is, plenty of people, both informed and not, are making criticism and if someone cannot find it then I say you're not looking hard enough.

Concerning the Bush Administration, get this - I think he's too liberal. That's right, the man who has carried the Christian Right (yes, a vocal minority), is too liberal. The problem for me was that in '04, I weighed all of the canididates and I felt he was the best option. Do I regret casting a ballot for him two years ago? A little bit, but my next best choice wouldn't have made the electorial cut anyway. Am I unhappy with 95% of his job, and that of his party? You betcha. Am I going to be voting most of them out of office? Well, I'm gonna try.

Drew "Suiko" Sutton
http://akibaren.blogspot.org

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
linlinchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Rebuttal to Wandering Knight.

I don't want to repost, but thank you for saying everything I wanted to say and doing it in a well-thought-out manner.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
There's so much wrong with what Wandering Knight is saying, it's almost comical.

Wandering Knight wrote:
BUT! Like I said, we're practically BOMBARDED by your culture. Culture depicting your usual way of life. Television, for example. But that's not the only case.

No, you are not bombarded by our culture. You are bombarded by our popular culture. Going to McDonalds and watching Lost on TV doesn't mean you know what the US is really about anymore than playing Final Fantasy and watching anime means you know what Japan is like.

Quote:
And behind the fact that Republicans are extremely right-wing conservatives? Do I actually need to live there to know that?

No, you don't need to live in the US to know that fact, because your so-called fact is horrendously false. Extremely right-wing conservatives are a tiny percentage of the Republican population. Most people are in the middle of the liberal/conservative spectrum. Most liberals have conservative views on certain subjects and most conservatives have liberal views on certain subjects.

Likewise, 50% of America is not racist right wingers. Being racist is actually very unpopular in America these days.

Quote:
I repeat, don't let your nationalism get over yourselves. You should try to analyse your own society at every opportunity you have, criticise it, and accept yourself as a part of it, even if your way of thinking is completely opposite. Sometimes reality is harsh, but you have to accept it, or you won't move on.

Americans are extremely critical of their own society (and by society, I think what you really mean is government). I'm sure you can find multiple shows criticizing the Bush administration on TV at any time of day.

Quote:
There's a lot of ways to know what goes on in your country without even having to visit it. Heck, I'm currently using one of them.

Yes, you can learn about things in other countries without going there, but arguing with people who have actually lived there that your second-hand information is correct and their first hand information is false is more than a little ridiculous. It's as silly as when one of the Taiwanese teachers tries to argue with me that a certain phrase is correct in English and refuses to back down even though any native speaker could tell them that what they're saying is wrong.

Your sources on America are just as biased as anyone else's. Living in Argentina, it's natural that the media in your country would be negative towards America due to perceived racism against Mexicans. However, Americans wouldn't consider it a racism issue, but an economic issue - most Americans don't want a huge influx of cheap labor coming into the country and so stricter immigration laws on Mexico are created.

Just to warn you, trying to discount me by saying that I'm encased in the American bubble really doesn't work since in the past 6 years, only about half of my time has been spent in America (the rest in Asia, Taiwan to be specific).

Thank you! You put into written words what I wanted to say to Wandering Knight and wasn't able to.

Thanks.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

You just did a great job describing 'lazy cynicism' and then you engage in it. Anime dazed

I believe Exxon-Mobil is "evil" because of their numerous repeated attempts to block the promotion and development of alternative fuels. Their last CEO was one of the most despicable anti-environment "crusaders" we've ever seen.

I do actually know what I'm talking about on this one. You don't have to take international business courses to be aware of what E-M has done in the past.
Missy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
RDespair wrote:

Wandering Knight wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you! You put into written words what I wanted to say to Wandering Knight and wasn't able to.

Thanks.

Add me to the list of thank yous,I wanted to say something like that,but it would never come out as good as that.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TeaChan wrote:
The ending of the Inuyasha anime was bad. I am a fan of the series but that just seemed lazy. Now from what I understand the reason they decied to end it was because the animators were getting burned out and wanted to work on other projects. Also if I recall the show wasn't pulling in the ratings like it was. Don't get me wrong it was still popular when it ended. It was too bad they couldn't get their act together to make a proper ending.

actually it says on wikipedia that one of the producers died and the crew decided they didn't want to continue working on the show without him
wings of words

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
but to drag people through 160+ episodes of the show and then flat-out not finish it is like giving the finger to a whole legion of loyal fans.

I thought they ended it because no one in Japan watched Inuyasha anymore.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Wandering Knight wrote:
So 50% of the population of your country are closed-minded, racist right-wingers? Why don't the other 50% do something about it, then?

We have a saying here, in Argentina: "He who keeps silent, clears the way". Unfortunately, most of that 50% who is not a racist right-winger is keeping silent, clearing the way for the 50% that IS a racist right-winger. Should it have been otherwise, I repeat, Bush Jr would have lost his reelection.

Quiet? Far from it. People can't get enough of criticizing everything about the government, and the people criticizing the Bush administration are the most vocal and get the most publicity.

Approval ratings for Bush have been far lower than 50%. That is a far more accurate representation of our society than what happened two (or six) years ago.

Also, keep in mind that when people vote for someone, it doesn't mean they agree with everything they do or stand for. It just means they prefer that person over the other option(s). Just because I vote Republican doesn't mean I like everthing about them. Honestly, I'm not happy with them right now; the other choice is just worse (IMO). I'm far from the only Republican that feels this way.

The Republican party is quite diverse and there are a variety of opinions on any given issue. Its not like everyone who is a Republican (or Democrat) subscribes to the exact same views. They just identify with and support a majority of them or a few key issues, or see that party as being less wrong than the other party. Only a small portion of Republicans could be accurately described as racist. Being against illegal immigration =/= racist. Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, it is exceedingly foolish to judge the people of a country just by the people in power and popular culture (i.e. TV) isn't much better.

Quote:
PD: Oh, and what I stated above relates to the fact that a lot of people in your country doesn't vote because they don't want. I can't remember the exact percentage of non-voting americans in last elections, but it was relatively high.

Probably because a lot of people are simply sick of and fed up with BOTH of our political parties and they decided that rather than voting for the lesser evil, they just won't vote at all.

ArielTsuki wrote:

And Bob of Tenjo Tenge was never displayed as an idiot. I always though of him as being the calm, more rational one of the Souichirou/Bob pair. Granted I only watch five epsiodes of the anime but Bob himself was not displayed as an idiot in the episodes I watched. Although Maya's comment of Blacks being the more flexible and athetic comment did raise my eyebrow. But that stereotype exist in America also. I mean look at basketball, baseball (although it's more Latinos than anything), football and Olympic track. The only thing that TenTen did is say it outright. The comments the characters may have said of him isn't the same as the character of Bob himself.

The most racist comment I can recall from TenTen was about him being more muscular as a result of his race. However, you will notice that he is about the only character that doesn't have his name appear in the opening. Also, he barely does anything compared to the other characters (at least in the anime, though I don't expect him to be much more prominent in the manga).

Quote:
And I wish I can clearly remember the black guy in Full Metal Panic, but I would if they presented him as an idiot, which they didn't. He was the villian though. However, I think it's more he's in an American army than anything else.

I remember one black guy appearing near the end of the first series and he was a bad guy (a traitor, to be specific). However, there was also a white (or Japanese, maybe, its hard to tell in anime) character who was a traitor as well. It's been a long time since I saw the first FMP series, so I can't remember very well.

However, if I recall correctly, a black character also shows up in TSR. He doesnt' do much, but he is far from incompetent considering his position, and he will probably become an important character if/when more FMP anime is made.

Also, someone mentioned the last episode of Mai HiME earlier as having something racist in it. I'm curious what this was, as I remember few details regarding the it.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Wandering Knight wrote:
PD: Oh, and what I stated above relates to the fact that a lot of people in your country doesn't vote because they don't want. I can't remember the exact percentage of non-voting americans in last elections, but it was relatively high.

Probably because a lot of people are simply sick of and fed up with BOTH of our political parties and they decided that rather than voting for the lesser evil, they just won't vote at all.

Well, I've always believed that if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain about how things turn up.

And because I voted (participation here is aprox 70~80%) yes I'm complaing when basically every other place in the US is enjoying a steady economy and where I live is the only place under the US flag that is on an economic depresion because we have elected idiots (the sorry thing is that I voted for that POS Governor) that only want to cover their asses and raise taxes, don't cut gov expenses and even have put up an 7% sale tax... I can't wait the next election to vote them out of office (if this was any other country the bums would have been thrown down of office and executed for incompetence) and we have to live under a 2 party system that just want to administer the $, raise their flags for they political relation with the US whenever its convenient to them and not do anything for the people Rolling Eyes

sorry for the rant, but I had to vent Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HitokiriShadow"]
Wandering Knight wrote:

Just because I vote Republican doesn't mean I like everthing about them. Honestly, I'm not happy with them right now; the other choice is just worse (IMO).

The Republican party is quite diverse and there are a variety of opinions on any given issue.

Only a small portion of Republicans could be accurately described as racist. Being against illegal immigration =/= racist. Rolling Eyes

Also, someone mentioned the last episode of Mai HiME earlier as having something racist in it. I'm curious what this was, as I remember few details regarding the it.

I belive Mai Hime was mentioned due to the Sambo portrayal of a character.

As for a small portion of Republicans being described as rasict. I suggest you bother to examine a lot of the statements of Republican organizations, news commenters, Republican congressman etc.

I will provide five examples. This is because I want to be breif.

Example one is part of the view racists have of who votes Democratic just two small parts of the example.

Irwin Stelzer, The Weekly Standard, today - "The New Leaders? What the House will look like if the Democrats win":

Then there is Charlie Rangel, the elegantly-tailored, smooth-talking congressman who has represented the black constituency of Harlem for 36 years. Rangel is an engaging sort–it is almost impossible not to like him–who will use the chairmanship of the House Ways and Means Committee to see to it that the Bush tax cuts are unraveled as rapidly as possible and that any tax breaks available are funneled to low-earners.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_110606/content/eib_interview_2.guest.html
RUSH: I have been suspicious of polls for a long time in the sense that I believe news organizations use them to make news that reflects their editorial pages, and the same with the editorial opinion of broadcast network people, and like the Pew poll internals show massive shifts in 30 days of public opinion. One of the things in the Pew poll is that the Democrats have lost all white voters. They've lost women and they've lost –

SNOW: They lost men. They've lost women. Absolutely right, and I'm glad you pointed that out.

Example two republican Rasicm in campaign ads.

Excerpt from http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/10/19/republican-ad-calls-black-women-hos/

No one can criticize the GOP for failing to produce sophisticated propaganda that successfully exploits the hopes and fears of white middle Americans. But can the right-wing distraction factory woo minorities with the same techniques? Check out the following transcript of a new Republican ad targeting black voters in 10 battleground states this year and you be the judge:

BLACK MAN #1: "If you make a little mistake with one of your 'hos,' you'll want to dispose of that problem tout suite, no questions asked."

BLACK MAN #2: "That's too cold. I don't snuff my own seed."

BLACK MAN #1: "Maybe you do have a reason to vote Republican."

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/10/racism_thrives_.html has some more examples of racism in Republican campaign ads.

Example three Republicans who are endorsed by the KKK but who either seem to relish it or don't want to repudiate it.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/KKK_to_Colorado_Rep_We_love_0522.html Is about Marilyn Musgrave being supported by the KKK.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/11/04/connerly-ku-klux-klan/

Could you please tell me why Republicans are overwhelmingly invited to speak and are photograped with White Supremecist groups and I am talking recently like the past five years not fourty or fifty like with some Democrats who have since rebuked the KKK and have gotten support from groups devoted to ending racism since these Democrats have done enormous work on civil rights matters?

Example four Republicans often court bigots who refer to themselves as Christians.

Read about Tony Perkins and his buying of a white suprecimist mailing list at http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050509/blumenthal

Example five. Illegal Immigration hatred has more to do with racism then so called lost jobs (research shows no jobs lost to illegals but them doing the jobs Americans don't want as well as creating more jobs) lost money to Mexico (research shows most money is actually being sent to Americans living in Mexico).

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512200003 details a broadcast of the Chris Matthews show.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200604280003

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=639
Could you explain why anti-immigration movements typically are sponsored by racists and fueled by rasict fears? Tell me why do the Republican anti-immigration people use materials published and writting by hate groups?

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?sid=175 details ten anti-immigrant groups four of which are classified as hate groups. However each of these groups work together.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=663 details how another anti-immigration group that claimed to be non-racist actually has ties with Neo-Nazis.

Funny how the anti-immigrant groups tend to share similar beliefs as well as funding, personel, materials with racist groups.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=50 Details numerous right wing think tanks/foundations that are trying to make bigoted and disreputable ideas mainstream.

Please explain all the above if you can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9