• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Ho-ho-hangover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The Vizio 50" 4K TV was $698 on Black Friday at WalMart. It is now $898. The picture is gorgeous, and it is a Smart TV (Not that that matters, for some) It looks better than the $1295 Samsung 50" 4L Smart, and sound a bit better too. I bought it. So, if you can, go for the Vizio. I have had a Vizio now for 6.5 years, had no problems at all with it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
1thought: Some third party could license the MI and UY manga. It's just that they'd have go through a lot of trouble to do it.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Nickelodeon hates creativity and thinks children are mindless drones. Avatar the Last Airbender is the closest America has gotten to the qualities that Japanese cartoons have. Korra might not have been anywhere as good but the fact that they treated poorly equally compared to their other programs. The fact that they slowly killed their only good show (that isn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Breadwinners, and the fact that they're giving the Fine Bros. their own show is proof of how low they've gotten.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
@ReNellGlover

I had no idea Beyblade (and the other anime shows) came to an end on Cartoon Network. Did they end on their last episodes, or was there more to show before they were off-air?

Probably both
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Nickelodeon hates creativity and thinks children are mindless drones. Avatar the Last Airbender is the closest America has gotten to the qualities that Japanese cartoons have. Korra might not have been anywhere as good but the fact that they treated poorly equally compared to their other programs. The fact that they slowly killed their only good show (that isn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Breadwinners, and the fact that they're giving the Fine Bros. their own show is proof of how low they've gotten.

Yeah, but they treat TMNT almost as equally as Korra; Nicktoons has filled nearly their entire schedule with it.
Setis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
So glad to have the full Maison Ikkoku DVD collection. One of my prized pieces in my collection.

And absolutely floored to find out Belle and Sebastian was anime. Holy cow I loved that show growing up. And here I thought I started with Robotech and Voltron.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Nickelodeon hates creativity and thinks children are mindless drones.

Are they wrong to do so, though? Look at what kids are into these days. We be might be at the simple 'get off my lawn' phase of our lives, but in this case, the most popular stuff kids consume isn't really the stuff our generation grew up with. A lot of kids these days are not growing up with TV in general, they're growing up with iPhones, iPads, and YouTube. The reason the Fine Bros, Annoying Orange, PewDiePie, Fred, and all those YouTube people got TV shows in the first place is because they're huge with kids. Kids are not growing up with Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, or even Ninja Turtles, they're growing up with Game Grumps.

It's an entirely different generation at work here, and networks are simply trying to catch up and stay relevant. If that means giving brainless stuff like "Kids React" special treatment, then they will. The writing for this was on the way years ago. Live action sitcoms became huge on channels like Nickelodeon and Disney. Hannah Montana and Zoey 101 started the trend of pushing animation away in favor of celebrities kids could emulate and look up to. YouTube just gave them a wider range of people to watch and look up to. Video games have also changed. As odd as it might seem to us, kids are not growing up playing Mario, Mega Man and Final Fantasy, they're growing up with Minecraft, Call of Duty, Madden, and other games which focus on multiplayer experiences rather than single player narrative ones. Fictional media is being pushed aside for person-generated content. Nickelodeon cashed in on this kind of wave with iCarly which was about just that. Giving YouTubers their own shows is just the next step of that adaption.

-Stuart Smith
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Nickelodeon hates creativity and thinks children are mindless drones. .

That's assuming they're thinking of kids at all:

In cable, no channel is happy being who it is, and thinks the other parent company's got the secret--
Nickelodeon wants to be Disney Channel's sitcoms.
Disney Channel wants to be Nickelodeon's tween-girl shows.
Disney X-D wants to be Cartoon Network's stoned/random belches.
Cartoon Network at one point wanted to be Discovery Kids building things, until their exec was fired for it.
I guess that's the hot-potato of the game.

We had something going a while ago back when every other late-night teen-demo channel wanted to be Toonami, and G4/Tech started showing Crest of the Stars, but...these phases never last, you know.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
As far as TVs go, if you're not a videophile, I would recommend TVs from Polaroid. They aren't exactly a company specializing in TVs, but they price them lower than the major companies, and they are built tough. After returning from college, my mom took the Polaroid TV I had (from 2006, 720p) and put it in a shed where it withstood the limited shelter. I recently took it back out and tested it to find it's still working exactly the same as when I first got it.

I can't say if other TVs from Polaroid have such incredible resilience though.

EricJ2 wrote:
Mainstream studios are about twenty years behind the fans when it comes to anime awareness--
Even when anime first started becoming A Thing in the 90's, what movie projects did we get?: Speed Racer, Astroboy, Akira, Kimba (you know who...), Star Blazers (which would have been Emmerich & Devlin's next movie after Godzilla '98), and an aborted Gigantor. Rolling Eyes

That we had a live-action Bebop and Paprika on the agenda spoiler[(what, you thought Nolan made up Inception??)] is pretty much down to "The Titles We've Heard Of".
Which Bebop very definitely epitomized, back when it was The One Good Show Showing For Free on Cartoon Network, and most non-fans thought that was the only anime show ever made.
(Which also explains DB: Evolution originally starting out as a live-action DBZ movie.)

There's also James Cameron wanting to adapt Gunnm (AKA Battle Angel Alita). I'm not sure what became of that, considering I thought that if anyone could get carte blanche status in Hollywood, it's James Cameron. Warner Bros. also still owns the movie rights to Death Note, and Monster went from a movie to an HBO series in the works.

EricJ2 wrote:
And also because of licensing deals:
They showed Zoids because it was easy to localize for the kiddy afternoons, and then had to take Hamtaro for the youngsters as part of the package--these things always happen in threes--because what they really wanted out of the licensing package was...darn, can't remember, was it Case Closed or InuYasha? Confused This was back in the 00's, can't remember. Point is, to take one from Column A, they had to take two from Column B.

I thought block-booking was outlawed way back in 1948.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I can see why Mike had to resort to doing that. If I correctly recall, much of the mainstream populace back then wasn't used to seeing foreign media, let alone anime shows.

Yeah, hence why some anime aimed at children, if not most, have to be Americanized: Some parents are incredibly paranoid about their children watching anime, and eliminating anything obviously Japanese seems enough to fool the parents.

While I'm sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone were being sarcastic and satirical, I'd bet the third act of "Chinpokomon" (where the Chinpokomon video games and anime were subliminally brainwashing children into acting out Japanese revenge against the Americans for World War II) reflects how some parents actually felt about anime at that time.

Makes me wonder how well Yo-kai Watch would fly with these parents lurking about the airwaves.

ReNellGlover wrote:
Yeah, but they treat TMNT almost as equally as Korra; Nicktoons has filled nearly their entire schedule with it.

Any time I bother to check the schedules for Nickelodeon, at least five hours of it is devoted to SpongeBob SquarePants. I like the show, but this is ad nauseam, and I have a hard time finding any other show that isn't Nick Jr. or Nick at Nite.
miken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't be too swayed by the TVs being "smart" or 3D capable. Internet-ready TVs nearly universally have a slow, kludgy interface, poor security and seldom get updated.

that really depends on the brand. sony for example doesn't care much about that mumbo jumbo, while my samsung even got a quadcore processor for that stuff and the last update was this month.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
While I'm sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone were being sarcastic and satirical, I'd bet the third act of "Chinpokomon" (where the Chinpokomon video games and anime were subliminally brainwashing children into acting out Japanese revenge against the Americans for World War II) reflects how some parents actually felt about anime at that time.

Parents were straight-up terrified of anime and Japanese video games in the 90s. It was zenophobia. They just weren't comfortable with their kids watching TV shows from another country, especially with how popular they were becoming (Pokemon especially came out of nowhere and took pop culture by storm seemingly overnight). I remember my psycho aunt thought anime was literally satanic when my cousins were really into it.
It's different in other countries where imported media makes up a large percentage of their entertainment. I believe Europe and Latin America have been getting anime quite a bit longer than we have.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
Long ass rant about buying tv's:
For the question about buying a new tv, I really don't feel it's worth it to invest in a 4k tv. The fact of the matter is that, yes, they look amazing up close, but you will never watch a movie a foot away from the screen, and from average couch-viewing distance there is very little to no difference that can be seen by the human eye. CNET had a chart that I noticed a while ago, which I have included:

When you look at this you can see for a hearty 50 inch tv you have to be sitting closer than 6 feet before the benefits start to become noticeable, so less than two yards. It's really just a waste of money, and when a ton of content being made is still just 720p it seems like just money down the drain. There are far more useful enhancements that can be made to tv's other than just stuffing in as many pixels as possible.

Having said that, 4k is quite a boon for projectors, which are trying to blow up the image as large as you can fit. If you're taking up the size of a whole wall, yeah, go for the 4k, but for a tv, unless you're going for an 80 inch or something, it's just going to be spending a lot for a negligible difference. 4k is much more of a "home theater" tech than an average tv tech.

In the end, I suggest just checking out what tv's are rated as the best value on various review sites. Most tv's that you find nowadays are just fine, there's a reason that they cost so much, but some have minor differences. Just read reviews, find one that sounds positive, check out "best value" lists or something, and go for it. I would suggest a Panasonic Plasma as out of my long, long hours of research for what tv to get I settled on one and it has been the best tv I could ever ask for, but apparently Panasonic pulled out of the ring just recently, so that's unfortunate. I hear good things about new OLED's.

Tiny side note: If you care about videogaming, make sure to see which tv's have the least display lag. Analogue tv's have none, but all hdtv's, as they are digital, will inherently have some. There are sites dedicated to listing lags, so if you care try to find one with as little as possible.

Back to the rest of the column, great read as always. Kinda surprised to see that they have to pay just to consider the possibility of making a movie, and that they get payed again if it goes through. I really can't imagine an anime adaptation working well in live-action, I mean it was made into an anime for a reason, it uses that medium to it's advantage, and that goes for anything (game, anime, book, etc). Do wish that creators had more of a chance for creative control if their properties were used. Dragonball Evolution seemed like a made-for-tv Disney movie. Also cool to hear about anime on tv and the marketing strategy behind it. I wouldn't have thought producing your own content could be more viable than licensing, but it makes sense. Glad to see Cartoon Network took a risk with anime. God Knows it kickstarted an interest in anime for an entire generation of kids staying up past their bed time back in the day.
Drac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
James Cameron and Battle Angel Alita get brought up all the time but I'm wondering what the deal with him getting the rights to make a Mazinger Z film was all about. Was he familiar with it through the Tranzor Z dub, had he glimpsed the original comics or what?

I'd also like to mention that there's currently a live action pilot/film of the 70's series The Gutsy Frog floating around that no one has picked up. It makes little to no sense that anyone would option that show for anything in the US but it exists.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood is an incredibly secretive bunch, and the reason behind a notable producer or director trying to make a movie adaptation can range anywhere from being a lifelong fan (such as Peter Jackson with the J.R.R. Tolkien books) to having merely heard of it and thinking a movie adaptation would look interesting (hence the robot spiders in The Wild, Wild West). I don't even know how much of an anime fan James Cameron is, since it's a subject he rarely speaks of (no doubt because he has little reason to speak of it).

I remember reading about how Dragonball: Evolution was originally intended to be way more faithful to the source material, with Piccolo looking way closer to how he did in the manga, Toriyama-like architecture with no school setting, and Goku doing a lot of training, but that it was slowly shifted and mutated into this mess. I'd bet they were given a pretty low budget to make this movie too, looking at the plain and generic backgrounds and the fight choreography, with Fox sweeping it under the rug once it was finished.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Parents were straight-up terrified of anime and Japanese video games in the 90s. It was zenophobia. They just weren't comfortable with their kids watching TV shows from another country, especially with how popular they were becoming (Pokemon especially came out of nowhere and took pop culture by storm seemingly overnight). I remember my psycho aunt thought anime was literally satanic when my cousins were really into it.

That reminds me of the incident in Colorado Springs where a pastor was convinced Pokémon was satanic and ordered children to burn their Pokémon merchandise. This notion gained a lot of ground there, enough to make national news, and similar effigies were going around elsewhere. The Vatican had to do its own analysis of the franchise and announced that the show and the video games were nothing but beneficial as they promote friendship and socialization. While this sort of response also happened with the likes of Harry Potter and World of Warcraft, they never gained as much traction as the belief that Pokémon was satanic.

And this was from an anime whose localization changed all of the characters' and most of the Pokémon's names and changed Brock's onigiri to a donut. It was upfront about being Japanese in origin.
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Nickelodeon DID try to get involved in the anime craze. In fact, they played a variety of anime on their early morning blocks like Belle and Sebastian and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics many years ago.

And as the story goes, they had a whole deal lined up with ADV for Sgt. Frog; however, after ADV went under for some reason FUNimation saw no interest in continuing the deal.

Disney...well, Disney, uh, tried? Naruto: Shippuden would have likely had more success for them had they placed it on the main channel instead of their digital subchannel, but I have a feeling they were a bit queasy about the violence.

They also aired the Stitch anime on the same subchannel for four days. Yes, four days. In an early morning timeslot during the school year. Sandwiched in between reruns of series older then the kids supposed to be watching them. Rolling Eyes

Disney Anime hyper is treating Doraemon good and I think disney would let K-ON! On the lineup like the japanese version. All they need is some light editing and there you go. Nicktoons May air Ika Masume since it's on the kids section on Netflix and TV-Y7 Enough to air. So do you think these are great choices? Yes or no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5