• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Japan's Animation Industry Reached Record High in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

2013 - Japanese animation market $2 billion

2014 - Frozen Japanese box office gross $250 million plus $81 million in Bluray/DVD sales.

So yes Frozen will be a very big chunk of Japan's 2014 animation market.
That's a little over 16.5% of total market. Not much of a " very big chunk".

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Now, 2014 had 171 new titles! Yep, 171. Certainly you didn't watch even half of them, 86(If in reality you did, congratulations, and my bad for doubting it). How much of the rest of the titles that you didn't watch do you think you would consider above average?

I try to wacth at least one episode of every anime that comes out to see if I like it. Exceptions made for those 5 minute anime series and genres I have no interest in to begin with, like BL/fujoshi stuff. I rarely ever run into an anime I would say is garbage. The last one I might have said that about was Aku no Hana, which was extremely controversial due to the rotoscoping style. Anime like that are extremely rare cases, though. Maybe the difference is I'm more likely to say "this show is not for me" rather than "this show suckz!" like a lot of people do because they subscribe to the mindset of "I don't like it therefore it objectively sucks"

Sales numbers don't reflect if people like a show or not, though, it just shows what shows people bought. If anything, sales numbers would indicate the opposite, because the old mantra was only otaku garbage sells while all the 'good' shows get snubbed. So going by those numbers, those 100+ shows were the good ones and those handful of ones which sold well were the otakubait.

Stealth00 wrote:
It's not really fair to look at what I assume is a revenue chart and say, "this number over here is bigger than this other one" and have that be the crux of your analysis. 2011 was 36% higher than 1995, but ~3x the number of titles were produced to get there. But this says nothing about changes in profitability, only revenue. And what about other issues the industry has such as less creative freedom, or the infamous brain drain? With this limited data, we're far from being able to say that anime is "way better off."

I'd be genuinely surprised if one could make a solid argument about less creative freedom in a market where 170 shows come out a year VS a year of the 90s where only 20 shows came out. Just the sheer number of series alone means there's a good chance you'd find more variety today than in a single year back then.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Theater performance and disk sales are just one portion of the market as well. There is also TV series and merchandise, and in that circumstance Youkai Watch would be a huge help as well. In any the case, western animation would make up a minority portion of those industry numbers. Most of it is going to be Japan's own animation

Kadmos1 wrote:
For example, while I have seen the AoT anime and enjoyed it, I am wondering what it is about that show that has such a widespread audience that has helped it become so successful here

The kinds of anime that do well in the west tend to be ones that reflect American sensibilities a bit more. Attack on Titan features a caucasian cast, which generally helps popularity in America. It also has far more violence than it does sexual content, which Americans are more okay with compared to being condescending against sexuality in media. It is also an action shounen, which is the most popular genre in America.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Lemmings.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Remember, gross=/=better age. You'd be a fool to assume that this era of American animation is better, since that too have grossed more than the golden era of American animation.

Unarguably, the eras in which anime was more innovative in its techniques were the 80s-90s. A refined form DGA has yet to be implemented in modern anime, but it was in the 1995 Ghost in the Shell. Akira's 160,000 cels was comparable to western animations of higher budgets, especially the lip syncing and full animation, not to mention backgrounds and CG. Same with that Wings anime by Bandai Visual/Gainax. The first CG use in 2D animation was in the Golgo 13 movie in 1983. Char's Counterattack had about 30 seconds of CG, which was innovative, not to mention the innovative digital inking of Mononoke, the CG effects in that film and so much more. Anime stopped being innovative after 2004's Innocence, which has the best CG of any anime and perfectly combines CG and 2D styles.

More money and more anime=/=better.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

So yes Frozen will be a very big chunk of Japan's 2014 animation market.

If we accept that Japan put out ~170 titles in a given year, then 16.5% IS a pretty big chunk of the market for 1 individual title. Also, just for comparison, the biggest Japanese box office gross in 2013 went to Ghibli's "Kaze Tenchu", Frozen DOUBLED the performance of that film. It has made more money than any Japanese film in the last 10 years. The closest competitor was "Howl's Moving Castle" which was more than 50 million shy. (and just for perspective, Japan has supposedly been experiencing DEFLATION for the last 20 years (ie. 250mil of today's dollars actually would've been MORE money 10 years ago in Japan))

I'm not a fan of "Frozen", I thought it was "ok" at best, but to deny it's economic impact is just silly. To put it in raw numbers, if 2014 exactly matches 2013 in performance, then if you REMOVE the $250mil that Frozen grossed at the Box Office (I'm not sure the source of the $81mil in BD sales, so ignoring that atm) then "without Frozen" 2014 would be the worst year for anime sales since 2003. (based on the chart)
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
To put it in raw numbers, if 2014 exactly matches 2013 in performance, then if you REMOVE the $250mil that Frozen grossed at the Box Office (I'm not sure the source of the $81mil in BD sales, so ignoring that atm) then "without Frozen" 2014 would be the worst year for anime sales since 2003. (based on the chart)

Your analysis is flawed because it's operating on the assertion that the market will say the same rather than grow. Rather than say 25 billion yen of that 241 billion yen would be Frozen, a more logical scenario would be to take the 241 billion and simply add on Frozen's 25 billion to it as an addition, rather than a replacement for other series. Regardless, it's a bit silly to make an argument for Frozen without the actual numbers for the market. 2014 seemed to have been a better year than 2013 overall. Frozen was just one property that benefited, not the cause of any kind of boom.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Your analysis is flawed because it's operating on the assertion that the market will say the same rather than grow.

It's a hypothetical wherin I EXPLICITLY said "if", but the point is that "Frozen" alone could mean the difference between a "record" year and a decade low. I'd say that sort of impact would qualify as "a very big chunk".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
That's good news. So many good shows came out last year and we're going to get some continuations and new shows for this year so let's see what 2015 will bring.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

2013 had: 45 anime films‎(what ?), 46 ovas and 153 television series‎. That is the biggest part opf the market'Wink'. It is also a very nice movie. Especially for the young girls at my library. More please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Still fansub collecting and buying anime as it comes out. Haven't changed in a decade. Those doomsayers were hilarious.

The core is always here, seems the naysayers don't stick around though. 2015 is going to be fantastic!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Still fansub collecting and buying anime as it comes out. Haven't changed in a decade. Those doomsayers were hilarious.
Are you implying that thoses figure would not have been higher if there weren't any fansubs?
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you implying that thoses figure would not have been higher if there weren't any fansubs?

I'm having trouble parsing this comment. Are you suggesting the numbers would have been higher without fansubs? Frankly, I don't think fansubs have an appreciable effect on the modern anime marketplace, unless you are counting groups like Horrible as "fansubbers." From what I can tell, most young viewers watch anime on illegal streaming sites. For older shows, the source of those streams is largely traditional fansubs, but for newer shows the source is likely CR rips. Most of those viewers will never pay a dime for anything they watch.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Look you enjoy anime and the stories of anime or you do not. there is no try!

But its my hope that with sites like CR they grow and anime become more main stream!

one can only dream correct?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I really don't want anime becoming more mainstream, at least not to where it's picked apart and sanitized like other facets of nerddom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5