• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Touhou Super Smash Battles Game Reaches Crowdfunding Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Super Copyright Infringement Brothers.

Also if you mod your Wii you can already put custom characters and whatnot into brawl, so it seems unnecessary (you may be familiar with Project M, but there are far more individual characters, stages, etc fans have made over the years). Regardless good luck to them. It looks fun and the guys seem cool.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations for this Touhou project reaching its goal. Surprised
I hope the development goes smoothly- Touhou Super Smash Battles seems quite an exciting title to watch.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can vomit any harder.

Seriously, I get Touhou let's fans do whatever they want with the I.P. (or at least used to?) but did this really need crowdfunding? On top of that they're boasting that this game will be so balanced that every character is tournament viable...that's just asking for trouble lol.
JTMaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
I don't think I can vomit any harder.

Seriously, I get Touhou let's fans do whatever they want with the I.P. (or at least used to?) but did this really need crowdfunding? On top of that they're boasting that this game will be so balanced that every character is tournament viable...that's just asking for trouble lol.

Well if they want to finish the game within a year instead of several years, get better hardware and software to develop and improve it, and be able to hire animators to help and also hire voice actors, then yes this needed crowdfunding. Also what is wrong with trying to balance characters? And just a heads up to those that think this, no the Smash Bros game style is not trademarked. There are several things made by Nintendo that the game styles are not trade marked. Only if they do certain things could they violate the copyright. I for one think its great that they want to combine two of their favorite things into one. And also its amazing to see a Western made Touhou Indie game.
JTMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Super Copyright Infringement Brothers.

Also if you mod your Wii you can already put custom characters and whatnot into brawl, so it seems unnecessary (you may be familiar with Project M, but there are far more individual characters, stages, etc fans have made over the years). Regardless good luck to them. It looks fun and the guys seem cool.

It's not copyright actually. Nobody owns the rights to the Smash Bros. style game. Also, you can only mod so much. They are putting completely different abilities and move sets into this, some of which even Smash Bros. could kind of use. They are also making a story mode and many other things centered around it as well as trying to include voices for all the characters in both battle and story. I seriously doubt mods could allow you to do that in Project M. The Japanese people seem to be responding to this project very positively. I don't know why everyone else seems so dang skeptical about everything or complain about the animation, etc. epecially when it is a game in early development. I mean seriously this project got started up in August 2014 and with only 3 guys working on this, 2 of which who are animators, I think they have done a dang good job thus far.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
If this game runs into legal hotwater, I imagine it'll be from the Touhou people rather than Nintendo. At worst, I suspect Nintendo would ask for a name change. The Touhou people could just shut this game down.

Touhou isn't public domain and the developers of this game didn't create or license it. Yes, there are tonnes of officially sanctioned Touhou fan games, but they must follow specific stipulations. The developers behind this game have launched a crowdfunding campaign and discussed console ambitions without consulting the people that own the IP.

There are no Touhou games on consoles right now. Even cameos are few and far between, with the limited inclusions being treated as an event. Touhou fan games are coming to consoles in the future, the issue is that those got approval from ZUN and are for PS Vita and PS4. Wii U isn't a PlayStation platform. Given Sony felt that Touhou was important enough to announce during their TGS presentation, I'm going to assume they wouldn't be pleased with a Wii U game slipping through the cracks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

The developers behind this game have launched a crowdfunding campaign and discussed console ambitions without consulting the people that own the IP.

On that page, it says:

• NOTE The talent here today is still in discussion regarding the details of a Wii U installment with ZUN. All indications are he encourages console distribution and it is VERY likely Nintendo gamers will get “YES”, so don’t fret!
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Primus wrote:

The developers behind this game have launched a crowdfunding campaign and discussed console ambitions without consulting the people that own the IP.

On that page, it says:

• NOTE The talent here today is still in discussion regarding the details of a Wii U installment with ZUN. All indications are he encourages console distribution and it is VERY likely Nintendo gamers will get “YES”, so don’t fret!

Some of those stipulations disagree with that:

Quote:
The creator also placed restrictions on the sale of works — both dōjin and commercial — on the XBox Live Indie Games marketplace for the XBox 360 console, Apple's App Store for the iPhone and other iOS devices, and Android Market for phones and other devices. Another restriction applies to sales through overseas downloads and other channels that go beyond traditional means of releasing dōjin works.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-14/tohou-project-creator-restricts-commercial-works-anime

ZUN's been against overseas downloads and content on console marketplaces in the past. This game is developed in the west and the Indiegogo only mentions digital downloads ... That's not to say he couldn't change his mind, as he clearly has in some regard, or else the Sony titles wouldn't exist. But the devs of this project launched the Indiegogo campaign and talked about Wii U before getting a response from ZUN.
Suzy J Webber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
But the devs of this project launched the Indiegogo campaign and talked about Wii U before getting a response from ZUN.

If that's true then that's real scummy behavior on their part
JTMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Suzy J Webber wrote:
Primus wrote:
But the devs of this project launched the Indiegogo campaign and talked about Wii U before getting a response from ZUN.

If that's true then that's real scummy behavior on their part

They haven't discussed it yet. They only mentioned they would like to if they get the ok from ZUN to do so. Also they sent him another email just the other day with the link to the trailer included to see if they can finally get a response from him. This project's secondary purpose is to show ZUN just how much people would like a Touhou game in the West and that they are willing to support this. They can do nothing until he gives the ok really, but if the project gets cancelled then everybody gets their money back anyways.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
They got a response back from ZUN: the crowdfunding campaign has been cancelled and he's requesting no digital releases on storefronts like the Wii U eShop and Steam but the game will still come out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1