• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuroko's Basketball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Given the way these two teams have played to this point, it's unrealistic. Not breaking-the-laws-of-physics-and-basketball impossible, no, but unrealistic, yes. Why? Because everyone stands around while the clock ticks down being shocked at whatever just happened. But all those reactions take place in The Zone, I guess, where time stands still, so the last 30 seconds will take 15 minutes of actual playing time. Smile

Win or lose, neither will shock me. I expect it'll be fun regardless. Smile
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cheesy but good. You can tell some good money went into this episode.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
So episode #75 was delayed to July 1st (the update states the date as June 30th 27:00, so it is 03:00 A.M. on July 1st).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It seems like I remember reading that some people didn't like how the manga ended the arc (can't find the posts in either thread now, so maybe I'm confused with something else), and I'm wondering if the anime was true to it and they didn't like it either, or what. Myself, I had no complaints, so I can't even guess what the problem was (if there was one and I didn't imagine it).

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuroko the Best Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series and it's sad to see it end. Nice animation quality, good pacing and great soundtrack. It also had a very satisfying ending. Kuroko stayed true to his shadow role till the very end by passing to Kagami instead of making the final shot.

I will miss my hyped Saturdays. Thankfully the sequel manga is still ongoing. I hope it gets an OVA/Movie/Season 4 adaptation. Very Happy

IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko the Best Stalker wrote:
Thankfully the sequel manga is still ongoing. I hope it gets an OVA/Movie/Season 4 adaptation. Very Happy

I'm confident the sequel will get a TV adaptation. It's odd the review doesn't acknowledge its existence.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it was a fitting end to an anime. It's not really open-ended in my opinion but rather a choice of ending it right there or if people want to continue reading the story, there is the sequel (currently in manga form). The reviewer also complained about many still moments. I think the purpose of this is to increase suspense, which worked with me. And expecting logic and the laws of reality in this anime (or most anime in that matter), then you're not going to have such a great viewing experiencing the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is there going to be a final review for the last episode? With the episode delay, the US holiday, and the Preview Guide gearing up, I fear it's going to get swept by the wayside.

It seems like I remember reading that some people didn't like how the manga ended the arc (can't find the posts in either thread now, so maybe I'm confused with something else), and I'm wondering if the anime was true to it and they didn't like it either, or what. Myself, I had no complaints, so I can't even guess what the problem was (if there was one and I didn't imagine it).

In the manga, the Rakuzan match lasted for a full year. The middle portion in which Seirin was being crushed over and over in particular was dragged out to the extreme. People were bleeping sick of it by the time it was over. The announcement of the ending was also very sudden, literally one week before the final chapter came out. Many were hoping for something to wash out the bad aftertaste of the Rakuzan match, or that, due to its popularity, the manga would continue in one way or another (many were banking on an international tournament, sine Fujimaki had expressed his desire to put the MiraGen back together).

But after a whole year of an overall terrible final match, all people got as a conclusion was a quick roundup that left lots of things hanging. The epilogues with the other teams weren't actually featured in the main story, they appeared as extras in one of the manga volumes and they were like 2-panels each. The manga literally ended with Seirin's victory and everyone promising to play each other again in the future, the end.

Like the review expressed, it felt like an abrupt, open ending that didn't really feel like a finale and that didn't quite provide the sort of closure people expected -and once again, the manga didn't even have the epilogue parts with the other teams- It left you a feeling of "that's it?"

So yeah, many were displeased with how abruptly it ended. I do think the anime handled the whole thing a lot better, the Rakuzan game didn't feel so dragged out and including every team's epilogue was a nice touch that made it feel less sudden and more complete.

Still hoping for an Extra Game movie eventually, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I see. Thanks for the explanation, it does sound like it was a chore to get through. I'm glad the anime didn't drag it out like that, and since I'm used to 30 seconds of denouement in anime, I was fine with how they wound it down.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
That was a very cheesy ending, but that's to be expected for a shounen show. To bet honest I kind of wanted it to be over. I don't really know if I want a fourth season, but even if they do make one I don't think I want to watch it again. Still, good ending at the moment, and it leaves a possibility of a fourth season if the studio decides to come back to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10