• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The Origin Anime Unveils English Cast with Dubbed Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, this quite the impressive cast! I'm a bit sad to see Sunrise not going the extra effort to get the Ocean cast but the cast list certainly eases that pain. While I still prefer Kopsa's performance as Char (second only to Ikeda himself IMO), Silverstein sounds good here and I'm sure he'll do a great job. It's always nice to see Veronica Taylor and O'Brien as Gihren is perfect casting. All in all I'm looking forward to this.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Looks like a great cast! More Veronica Taylor is always a good thing. She actually popped up as some characters in Sailor Moon recently.

Just wondering: for someone who is NOT familiar with Gundam, would this be a decent place to start (being called "The Origin" and all)? The only other Gundam I've seen is Gundam Wing, and that was like 15 years ago when I was 6...

Probably not since it seems to be focusing on the flashback parts of the manga. With Gundam the best place to start is at the beginning with 1979 TV series (the compilation movies are a viable option here too) and just making your way through production order. Despite my above gushing of Kopsa, I highly recommend watching the main Universal Century plotline ('79 -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Char's Counterattack -> Unicorn) subbed first simply for consistency's sake since three (four if you count the rare and obscure Animax Asia ZZ dub) different recording studios were used there.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Of the UC timeline dubs, 0079 is decent, not insultingly terrible and the only good dub is Unicorn. All the other ones are mostly terrible (of the series anyway some of the OVAs are better)
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:
Of the UC timeline dubs, 0079 is decent, not insultingly terrible and the only good dub is Unicorn. All the other ones are mostly terrible (of the series anyway some of the OVAs are better)

Disagree. 0080 was very good and 8th MS Team was also quite strong, not to mention Char's Counterattack. F91 was decent. IMO, whilst UC has some poor dubs(0083, Trilogy, Zeta and Double Zeta), I'd argue that the AU dubs fare worse. G, Wing, Endless Waltz, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, Awakening of the Trailblazer and AGE all have mediocre-awful dubs, due to reasons such as wooden acting(Wing and G), weak leads(SEED and 00) and poor production(AGE).
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:

I find all the OVA's to be dubbed great. Its the Canadian TV dubs that are very mixed in quality.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The cast looks great, can't wait to watch.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I liked the 0079 English dub. Brad Swaile, Michael Kopsa, etc. They did a solid job, even though a lot of the VAs really hammed it up to the nth degree to make it seem specifically like an English dub from the time period the show was made in.

That said, I don't really understand the point of complaining they aren't in this new incarnation. They were in 0079 and Char's Counterattack. And a couple of the video games. That's it. Ocean skimped on the Zeta dub and farmed it out to their Blue Water travesty... I mean, studio. The OVAs had Animaze dubs. F91 had Bang Zoom. There's not a whole lot of consistency with the English dubs, except now The Origin will be handled by the folks who did Unicorn.

And really, Gundam Unicorn is probably the greatest English dub a Gundam entry has ever received. So I'm sure the dub for this will be fine at the least.

My only concern now is the price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
So is this getting sold by Rightsuf like the the Unicorn BDs as per their Gundam deal with Sunrise? I didn't see anything about it when I skimmed the article, but I suppose I could have missed it.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Just wondering: for someone who is NOT familiar with Gundam, would this be a decent place to start (being called "The Origin" and all)? The only other Gundam I've seen is Gundam Wing, and that was like 15 years ago when I was 6...

No, because it will probably spoil things that were supposed to be surprises in Mobile Suit Gundam. However if you don't care about that kind of thing go for it. Personally as a re-intro to Gundam I'd recommend The 08th MS Team if you want to watch the "main track", or one of the other alternate universe series like Gundam 00.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

If you want an introduction to the continuity/history: watch the compilation movies (at Rightstuf for $30).
If you want to watch a Gundam thing in that continuity without having to learn all about it first: watch 08th MS Team or Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (the latter if you're more into tragedies).
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Animehermit wrote:

Disagree. 0080 was very good and 8th MS Team was also quite strong, not to mention Char's Counterattack. F91 was decent. IMO, whilst UC has some poor dubs(0083, Trilogy, Zeta and Double Zeta), I'd argue that the AU dubs fare worse. G, Wing, Endless Waltz, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, Awakening of the Trailblazer and AGE all have mediocre-awful dubs, due to reasons such as wooden acting(Wing and G), weak leads(SEED and 00) and poor production(AGE).

What dubs? (regarding what is bolded). Closest ZZ got to a dub is Dynasty Warriors Gundam.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Double Zeta had a Animax English dub. Which is of a quality you can guess by it being an Animax dub.

Then again, it wasn't really any worse than Blue Water's Zeta dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
GalicianNightmare wrote:

What dubs? (regarding what is bolded). Closest ZZ got to a dub is Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

The Gundam 00 film had a dub made back in 2011 and it has VAs from both Ocean & Blue Water.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Generally excited about the casting choices. Seems like a nice mix of talent. The trailer sounded very good. The only negative I have with the dub is Liam O'Brien as Gihren Zabi. I really wish they would have got Hiro Kanagawa back to reprise his role.

For me he was one of the highlights of the original English dub. I know people tend to rave about Michael Kopsa (and he is very good as well) but the voice that Hiro uses for Gihren clearly stands out and is spot on. Liam is a very awesome voice actor but hearing him in the trailer, it sounds so strange. Maybe it's because I'm so use to Hiro doing the role but hopefully Liam can pull of being cold, calculating, detached, yet charismatic. That's not something that's easy to do.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So is this getting sold by Rightsuf like the the Unicorn BDs as per their Gundam deal with Sunrise? I didn't see anything about it when I skimmed the article, but I suppose I could have missed it.

Yes, awhile back Rightstuf released a press statement talking about how they have the distribution rights to all the Gundam titles in North America.

I can bet my bottom dollar that the Origin releases will be exactly like the Unicorn Blu Rays. Probably 50-60 bucks for one episode.

If being a Gundam fan for over 15 years has taught me anything, it's that your going to need to pay a premium to have a physical copy of the series you want.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:

0080 dub is very solid. Pretty much one of the more underrated dubs from it's time. Plus it has David Hayter making a rare anime cameo.

08th MS Team dub is also very solid. A lot of big names in that dub and generally very well done. I don't see how anyone can have complains about that one.

0083 dub is very iffy. I won't say it's awful, but it's very hit or miss. There are some decent performances but for the most part it seems like a lot of the people involved in the project didn't have much experience at the time. You can clearly tell.

Zeta dub is well...awful. There are some individual performances on the dub that are decent like that guy who plays Scirocco, but for the most part it feels like it was thrown together and had a low budget.

F91 is a decent dub, no complains.

And that's pretty much it aside from UC and 0079. Igloo was brought over but it was subs only and that was the only other UC release here in NA.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
GalicianNightmare wrote:

The Gundam 00 film had a dub made back in 2011 and it has VAs from both Ocean & Blue Water.

Didn't realize that was the 00 movie. And wsn't counting stuff that was only in Asia like Animax stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3