• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I've Got A Blank Space Baby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:

Some of the other more literal or long-winded English titles unfortunately lack the convenient abbreviations of their Japanese versions (e.g. Is the Order a Rabbit? = Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? = GochiUsa

This one really annoyed me... The translation was already fixed as I'm pretty sure the english was used even on the original Japanese editions, but the translation is far too literal...

The original Japanese title is "Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?" is a pun of sorts with the phrase "Gochuumon wa ikaga desu ka?" (May I take your order?), the polite way a waitress asks your order in a restaurant.

Rabbit is a noun, and thus the only noun to replace in the proper english translation of the phrase is, in fact "order". So in my opinion the series should have been translated to "May I take your rabbit?"
That's the best and only translation of the title and I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Smile

Also I find it a bit ironic that the two titles singled out for "great" english translations in the question, Kids on the Slope and Sundays Without God... the first was created by the manga author for the very first Japanese edition (it's always had that english title, the manga-ka in fact speaks english fairly well), and the second is a direct, literal translation of the Japanese.

I still think the best english title of an untranslatable Japanese title is "The Tatami Galaxy". This english title was also the product by the author of the original novel and not a native english speaker. I'd maybe give an honorable mention to "Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl" for being way better than anything I tried to come up with (even if it's still far from coming close to capturing the full meaning of the original)
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

Attack on Titan
instead of
Attack on the Titans

I understand that Japanese has no concept of articles (like, they don't exist in the language) and frequently blurs the distinction between singular and plural (if more than one is understood from the context, there's no need for -tachi), but one "the" and an "s" would have made the meaning a lot clearer. Oh, well.

But it's not the Titans that are being attacked in Shingeki no Kyoijin; it's the reverse. The attack comprises Titans. "no" is a genitive particle. This is why the correct translation is The Eotena Onslaught.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite recent strange English title is "Encouragement of Climb." Laughing

And good catch on Attack on Titan. That one lingered in my brain for a while when I first heard it and I didn't know why, until finally it registered that it was weird/wrong English. I assume Isayama meant "Attack on the Titans" or maybe "Attack of the Titans." I think I didn't get this at first because I didn't want to accept that such a huge important series from Japan would have a big misstep in its title.

Yeah. Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Personally unless really bizarre, I just prefer the original Japanese title. I am not fond of English versions because as this column and response section point out they rarely capture the meaning.

But the ones that really irk me are things like Cat Planet Cuties, I am pretty sure the title for the show translates as "lets play/lets go play", so why couldn't that be the title?

The one title that I do like that I think is kind of off from the original meaning but does fit with the show is Garden of Sinners.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
...Mobile Suit Gundam, they don't much sense for native English speakers.

How does that one not make sense? It's about a Mobile Suit called Gundam.

Gosick has always bugged me. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks it should be Gothic every time I see it?
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
The thing about the Tezuka name is interesting. I noticed a similar problem with the animator 小川 完, who's listed in our encyclopedia as Kan Ogawa, but is called Tamotsu Ogawa elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that Kan is correct, but I'm not certain.

I think the kanji system is really funny since these complex characters all have these different reaadings. It's all really esoteric.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or Oscar voters could just throw the category to their kids and relentless studio campaigning and throw it to Big Hero 6.

A great movie with a lot of heart that's every bit on the level of the smaller studio releases. Rolling Eyes
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
But it's not the Titans that are being attacked in Shingeki no Kyoijin; it's the reverse. The attack comprises Titans. "no" is a genitive particle.

The issue isn't the story. It's the phrase "Shingeki no Kyoujin."

"Shingeki" is more like "march" or "advance" than "attack," so the translation of "shingeki no" could indeed be the genitive (possessive) "of the advance." "Kyoujin" is "giant" or "titan," so "Giants of the Advance," which as I said before is even worse than "Attack on Titan."

However, Attack on Titan is the story of humans fighting back. The title is appropriate, although it may Engrish, because the titans are getting attacked.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
It's kind of crazy that there are so many crazy theories about the title BLEACH (Ichigo's 'bleached' hair, the Shinigamis cleansing the souls, the Nirvana album etcetera etcetera) and that people keep spreading them around when Kubo himself explained it in an interview like five years ago. He drew the shinigamis with black kimonos, that was his original concept (along the snipers that have already been mentioned). To mark the contrast with and accentuate the blackness of the kimonos, he wanted a title that made you think of white. So he went with Bleach. It's a simple and kind of ridiculous explanation, but Kubo's reasoning has always been very simplistic.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
Another name transcription issue I remember is of the guy who directed "Ocean Waves" at Ghibli, "Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to that Day," "Fancy Lala," and a whole slew of 1980s magical girl shows. In various credit sequences, I'm sure I've seen his name written as Tomomi Mochizuki, Tomomichi Mochizuki, and Tomomitsu Mochizuki. Somebody just ask him already! Very Happy
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
The translations that can be especially hard to translate is when they have the long LN-based anime titles.

For long titles, the Japanese typically have contractions/abbreviations themselves, some of which have made it into the translations (e.g. Oreimo, WataMote, anohana, Henneko, Maoyu, Saekano).

Haganai.

僕は友達が少ない ->
 は  が ない, see.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
However, Attack on Titan is the story of humans fighting back. The title is appropriate, although it may Engrish, because the titans are getting attacked.

Actually, the titans are doing all the attacking - even the elite recon corps and their huge expedition are nothing more than cannon fodder for spoiler[the female titan] - and therefore the title should be "Attack of the Titans".
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
unready wrote:

Actually, the titans are doing all the attacking - even the elite recon corps and their huge expedition are nothing more than cannon fodder for spoiler[the female titan] - and therefore the title should be "Attack of the Titans".

Look, for all we know it'll be revealed that the entire show takes place on a far future terraformed moon of Saturn!

So let's not be hasty here Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
At times, I feel like the Japanese come up with these long titles just so they give English translators a challenge.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I still think the most accurate/grammatically correct translation of Shingeki no Kyojin would be The Advancing Titans. Titans "of the advance" sounds odd in English, but no isn't just a possessive particle, it also can turn nouns into adjective-equivalents. "Of the advance" can be turned into the adjective "advancing," hence Advancing Titans.

For weirdest Engrish title, I think Saint Young Men still wins the prize with me. Sei Onii-san is the title in Japanese, and yes, sei can mean "saint" and onii-san, in addition to "older brother," can mean "young man." But "Saint Young Men" sounds like word salad. Given that Sei is the fake family name that Jesus and the Buddha use while on vacation in Japan, I think The Brothers Saint (ala The Brothers Grimm or The Brothers Karamazov) would be a far more natural title. But clearly the author just plugged his title into a dictionary or Google translate and used the first result he found.

Paranoia Agent also gets an honorable mention for confusing people terribly with its name. Yes, mousou can mean "paranoia" (sometimes) and dairinin can be translated as "agent," which led at least a few reviewers to try to figure out who or what is the "agent" causing "paranoia." Unfortunately dairinin doesn't mean "agent" as "active and efficient cause" but "one authorized to act for or in place of another." If you saw Ergo Proxy, the same word is translated "proxy" there. Mousou is also probably better translated as "delusion." Hence a much, much more accurate title would be A Stand-In for Delusion or Delusion's Proxy or something like that. At which point the answer to what it refers to becomes, by the end, obviously spoiler[Shounen Bat.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6