• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To observe without the prism of nostalgia (continued).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
{I had to split this posting off because of necroposting issues. The original thread is here. ~nbahn}

nbahn wrote:
[size=24]

I keep coming across the opinion that Robotech is a desecration of The Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, and I honestly do not know just what to think. (Again, it is the nostalgia factor.)

I can see why people would think that. Much like how many people look at Power Rangers and think the same thing based of the various Sentai ranger shows.

I will disagree with that opinion. And yes I will use bias and nostalgia as part of the reason why.

We didn't get much anime here in the states. Sure, there were the odd blips on the radar such as Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Kimba. I actually have a few flashes of memory to seeing Kimba on TV, but nothing concrete other than few images flashing through my mind.

I don't even remember how I found Robotech, but I remember it was actually on a small local station here in the south and it came on really early on Saturday morning. I guess you could say it was my first forray into Anime, but of course back then I had no idea what Anime was. It was it's own original thing to me. I ate it up and it led me to watch other similar shows. Mostly Voltron and Transformers.

I don't see it as a bastardization or desecration of the source material. it had it's own story for the most part. Even going back now and re-watching all the American market storylines leading up through the Invid invasion I still quite enjoy it all.

When I was a bit older, in my teens, and found out what the show really was, I went back and watched all the original Macross saga. I watched the movies and side stories and I still enjoyed ALL of it. how could I view one as a desecration when I still to this day enjoy all of it?

i will admit I usually enjoy watching mostly original Anime with original voice actors and subtitles, but not all the time. For instance right now I am getting into Ikkitousen and actually prefer the American stuff. Does that make it or me any less wrong? Nope. And that can be said and thought of int he terms of Robotech as well. it touched a generation many moons ago and will continue to do so in whatever form people choose to enjoy it in.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I first got into anime in the late 1990s. For a period back then I was on a forum maintained by AnimEigo. Back then the arguments about what was done to create Robotech flared up on a regular basis. A few brave individuals noted, correctly, that the "desecration" was a necessary evil in order to get it on to US TV. Most of the posters tended to accept no excuses and called maledictions down on the heads of those responsible.

Something I noticed and found interesting is that many, if not most, of the people involved listed Robotech as their gateway into anime. I don't think I ever saw anyone actually address the contradiction.

While I eventually bought both the AnimEigo Macross Saga and the ADV Robotech equivalent, I have not as yet watched either. There was no anime in the US when I was a kid, no Sunday morning cartoons for that matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1