• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 13.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
That is correct.

A very cathartic moment after all the BS spoiler[Holland and crew pulled in both the movie and the TV series,] wouldn't you agree?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Hm, no wonder I couldn't place it. That movie was terrible.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
^
Hey, at least you made it to the movie. I couldn't even finish the television series, such was its unerring ability to piss me off.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
I pretty quickly placed it as being from the franchise, but I had to double-check on the movie vs. TV series and who the speaker was, as spoiler[Anemone's voice is quite different at this point than it is most other places in the franchise].

New quote, from the dub. (And for the record, I've decided not to pull stupid "fansub even when a dub is a available" crap - even though everyone seems to agree that it's totally fair to do - because I don't want to encourage such behavior.)

Character A: “You need to be careful, Character B. That man’s no ordinary opponent. I mean it, he’s a serious fighter!”
Character B: “Don’t worry, it’s all right. You know how scatterbrained I am. I never remember to be afraid.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And for the record, I've decided not to pull stupid "fansub even when a dub is a available" crap - even though everyone seems to agree that it's totally fair to do - because I don't want to encourage such behavior.

Key, you do realize that was 1. Totally uncalled for (implying Vaisaga was being stupid by doing it) 2. you're being a total child about something that happened once around a month ago and no one else has done since? Let it go, man.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(And for the record, I've decided not to pull stupid "fansub even when a dub is a available" crap - even though everyone seems to agree that it's totally fair to do - because I don't want to encourage such behavior.)

Is this some kind of unwritten rule that I'm not aware of? I've done it multiple times only because I have not seen the dub and don't want to use a quote I'm not familiar with. Not to mention the only way for me to access dubs is by pirating them (for newer shows I'm not sure if that's even possible) since I don't buy anime. I'd have to import it from who-knows-where anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not an unwritten rule (as far as anyone but me is concerned, apparently) and this is entirely just me continuing to bitch about an issue that came up a few weeks ago. I had said at the time that if people really saw nothing wrong with using fansubs when an official sub/dub is available then I was going to start doing it deliberately to make quotes harder. That was the childish part, and I brought it up again just to make clear that I wasn't going to carry through on that threat.

In my opinion, fansubs should only be used as sources when either an official sub/dub hasn't been made or they aren't available to the poster due to region restrictions on official content - and in the latter case, that should be specified. But that isn't an actual written or unwritten rule at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Is this some kind of unwritten rule that I'm not aware of?

No, Key's just mad because of that one time I used a fansub of High School DxD Born for a quote because that's what I had on hand. I did attempt to look it up on Funimation's site but it wouldn't let me watch it.

Some one might opt for a fansub over an official source for many reasons. They might not have access to the official version, or they like the wording of the fansub more, or the official version is just plain wrong, etc. So long as they're not doing it just to be a douche then yes, it is perfectly fair.

Key wrote:
That was the childish part, and I brought it up again just to make clear that I wasn't going to carry through on that threat.

To be honest it comes across as you going "Hey look at me being all mature!" which makes you look just as childish.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So long as they're not doing it just to be a douche then yes, it is perfectly fair.

And "being a douche" was exactly what I felt was going on when it first happened. You've long proven that you have timely access to streaming official subs, so using a fansub instead of a sub struck me as you trying to pull a fast one. You have since clarified that such was not your intent, and that's why I backed off.

Anyway, I'm rather surprised that this quote lasted long enough for a hint. (Or did people just forget about it?) So here we go:

Hint #1: spoiler[A and B room together with mutual friend C even though they are a different breed of student from C.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[Although this series shares some characters with the other anime series in its franchise, it has a dramatically different focus and style than its predecessor.]
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
In case anybody forgot:
Key wrote:

Character A: “You need to be careful, Character B. That man’s no ordinary opponent. I mean it, he’s a serious fighter!”
Character B: “Don’t worry, it’s all right. You know how scatterbrained I am. I never remember to be afraid.”

I have never seen the show that I think that this is from so I am going to take a wild guess, actually several wild guesses, based on the clues and what I have read about the show.

The show is spoiler[Soul Eater NOT!]
A is spoiler[Tsugumi Harudori]
B is spoiler[Meme Tatane]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Not far off, but without context or speaker A being correct I can't accept it.

Who will zoom in for the steal?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I think spoiler[Tsugumi is being attacked by one of Shaula's first hypnotized victims and Meme has rushed to her defense. Tsugumi is scared stiff but Meme isn't and this is her response to Tusgumi's warning. Soul Eater NOT]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Closer, but actually still not correct.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll give it to you, since you are basically describing the situation right even though you have the victimized character (i.e., Character A) identified incorrectly; if you were paying careful attention to Hint #1, it should have been clear that A should be spoiler[Anya, not Tsugumi, since both Anya and Meme are Meisters and Tsugumi is a Weapon.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
minigame?

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 100