• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: GRANRODEO Concert Demands Swimwear Dress Code for Female Attendees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titania

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
JFC, people. CHILL OUT. And shame on you ANN for being inflammatory in your reporting. As a fan who attends GR shows regularly, I'm getting tired of people OUTSIDE the circle of Rodeo Boys and Girls coming down on us and the band for things we enjoy (see last year's Men/Women Only thread).

If you're not going to the show, it doesn't affect you in the least, and doesn't bother the folks who will actually be in attendance (to judge by the Rodeo Girls I follow on social media). If they don't already wear a bikini to the shows, they're not going to be denied access because they aren't.

It's worth noting Rodeo Girls ALREADY WEAR BIKINIS TO THE SHOWS. They are NOT being forced to do something they don't already do willingly. This started on its own, with no urging from the band needed. The premium seating was a tip of the hat to these women. Does it put them all in one place on display? Well, duh, yeah; they're already on display at regular lives when they wear bikinis. And again, it's limited seating and the women who don't want to be there won't be. And there will be plenty of bikini-clad women in the general seating areas too. Trust me.

The seats are just one tier of tickets available. They are available ONLY to Fan Club members who are women who are adults (there will be NO MINORS in this section). Don't wanna wear a bikini? Great -- there's Standing and Seated tickets too, which are cheaper, and are for everyone. And no, there won't be men in the mix ... but given how they're already in the mix when the women wear bikinis to the regular shows, so what if they were? (and yes, there is a guy who wears a GR bra top to the shows).

And yes, it's clear on the official site that you MAY end up on film, so to consider that before applying for the seats.

A little fact-checking or research would have made it obvious this wasn't a "demand" and that no one was being forced to do anything they didn't want to do. The band flat out stated in an interview posted yesterday that they had noticed the increasing numbers of women in swimming suits at the shows and decided to do something for them at the anniversary show. No, they're not perverts. Yes, they appreciate the view in front of them, and comment on it, but have never, even in jest, said that women shouldn't come to the shows unless showing skin.

Now I will go back to crossing my fingers I get one of these tickets (was not successful in the first try), which I will enjoy the hell out of if I do, regardless of the uninformed crap spewed here.

ETA: I should clarify that they wear bikini tops with skirts, shorts, etc. But since shorts and short skirts are allowed in the premium area, there's little difference between how some fans dress now and what's okay for that section.

Last edited by Titania on Wed May 27, 2015 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Hey it's like Spring Break concerts all over again! Laughing
(Bouncers won't let ya go up front unless ya look good in a bikini.)

GokuMew2 wrote:

My understanding is that a certain area of the seating is reserved for people who go in swimsuits. This area is likely to get wet.

Some people may not mind getting wet in full clothes even though they know they'll get wet, like in Sea World.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
As others have said the article is very click baity. A shame from someone like ANN but there you go.

After reading it I see no problem with it with just the premium seats and as others have said they could be doing something special like recording for a music vid. Ain't nowt wrong with that.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
Sincerely hope this doesn't become a trend. Once news sites start writing clickbait it only gets worse. Next thing to u know ANN will be the next Polygon.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
Alright...After having made a closer observation, I found that maybe ANN could have worded the title better. As long as the women are really okay with wearing only their swimwear at these premium seats and that they are doing it on their own free will, I see no problem with this.
oujosamadeshita

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
I would SO go and do this if I had the money /orz).

also @ANN writers, Rolling Eyes
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

My understanding is that a certain area of the seating is reserved for people who go in swimsuits. This area is likely to get wet.

Some people may not mind getting wet in full clothes even though they know they'll get wet, like in Sea World.

So? What's your point? The people who will be sitting in this area choose to do so if their own free will.

Only people who are willing to wear a swimsuit will be applying for the seating in this area. No one is being forced to do anything against their will.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
But what about the girls who would like to be in the premium area (I assume it's located closer to the stage than the general seats) but don't want to wear a bikini? I still think it's awful to force your fanbase to dress a particular way if they want to stand closer to you. Maybe a lot of Rodeo Girls already wear bikinis, but as someone said earlier, they choose to do it. Chances are high that there are Rodeo Girls who wouldn't like to go to a concert in a bikini and still would like to be in the premium area. It's still awful and alienating.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's just a bikini. I don't think I even know a girl who doesn't have at least several ready for beach and sunbathing.

And this is not even that unique to have dress codes in concerts.
Titania

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But what about the girls who would like to be in the premium area (I assume it's located closer to the stage than the general seats) but don't want to wear a bikini? I still think it's awful to force your fanbase to dress a particular way if they want to stand closer to you. Maybe a lot of Rodeo Girls already wear bikinis, but as someone said earlier, they choose to do it. Chances are high that there are Rodeo Girls who wouldn't like to go to a concert in a bikini and still would like to be in the premium area. It's still awful and alienating.

Do not assume that because YOU find it awful and alienating that attendees will. I'm sure there are some who would agree with you, but the response in general has been amusement and enthusiasm. Even the "source" material for the author of this piece has positive comments.

The seats are right next to the stage, but to the side. So close, but not the perfect view. IMHO, the best viewing "seats" is the standing area in front of the stage, which has no dress code.

Also bear in mind this is TWO concerts out of many the band will hold this year. It's not like fully-clothed fans (e.g., like I usually am) haven't had our shots at being right up front too, and getting on film. (I shared my front row experience with a bunch of bikini-wearing women, nicely dressed women ... and not a single guy).

I find it interesting that there's FOUR criteria to getting a premium seat: 1) Fan Club member, 2) women, 3) bikini-top wearing, 4) of age. But all that anyone focuses on is 2 & 3. What about the underage, non-FC member girls who want to wear a bikini next to the stage? Won't someone think of the children!?!

The only controversy and uproar here is in the poster's mind. Attendees are neither pissed off nor up in arms, and we don't need anyone to be in that state on our behalf.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to write home about here. If this were in America half the female audience would attend the concert wearing the flesh-showing equivalent to swimwear even if it weren't a requirement, judging by the ones I've been to. Plus dressing like that only gets you into a small section, just sit somewhere else in the room if you don't want to wear it. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do not assume that because YOU find it awful and alienating that attendees will. I'm sure there are some who would agree with you, but the response in general has been amusement and enthusiasm. Even the "source" material for the author of this piece has positive comments.

Sending that right back at you, my friend, don't assume that because YOU think it's OK, every Rodeo Girl/potential attendee will. If there are some that, as you say, agree with me, then it is alienating, because those fans are being excluded for not wanting to wear a bikini. You've also said you've attended concerts in which live footage was filmed from the front row and you weren't wearing a bikini while some of the other attendees were. That's perfectly fine, it's giving the fans the freedom to dress however they want while participating in something with a band they love. This time, though, it's really "if you want to be on the premium area/video you gotta go half-naked"
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
They're not being excluded from the concert and odds are if they're looking at premium area they've already known about these kinds of things and either fall into 1 of 2 possible categories
A.) Is ok with this and is willing to dress up this way to get a spot at this particular concert.
B.) Does not want to and will not dress up this way and will continue to stand/sit in the normal spots like they have previously with possibly choosing to try for premium seats at a different concert.

They're going to be "Extras" or w/e those people who get shown in the videos are and there's a dress code.
Like Titania has said this is already a thing at the concerts in the premium area so only a first timer who has no idea of what goes on at a GRANRODEO concert which many here and else where who report on this will be the "outraged and alienated" ones.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
The scourge of our time: everyone's looking for an excuse to get upset.

And shame on ANN for that misleading headline.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Peter Newell wrote:
Didn't Kana Hanazawa have a concert only for female fans? I also don't see how a swimsuit makes a difference. Any female who wants to go should be allowed to wear whatever she wants, including the required swimsuit. If you don't want to wear it, don't go. No one's asking you to go naked.

I'm sure plenty of their female fans would feel that way...and become former female fans. Then again, I hadn't known this was a popular thing among the fans, to wear bikinis to the concerts, until now.

This must be GRANRODEO's equivalent of formal wear.

JekoJeko wrote:
I think it's worse to make people pay extortionately higher prices, as some venues do, to get 'premium seats'; it limits artistic enjoyment to those who can pay and creates a pseudo-class-divide that defies the unity that music should bring in a crowd. I guess everyone has their bugbears about the way shows are put on.

Isn't every concert like that? And every major league sports match? And anything else that attracts crowds of thousands?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5