• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nana Mizuki Teaches Us the Proper Way to Eat Eel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Eel in the summer is the best.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
It seems that people visiting Nakau can expect Nana to be everywhere in the Nakau restaurant chain for quite a while. Cool

Edit: Corrected a misreading.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It seems that people visiting Nakau can expect Nana to be everywhere in the city for quite a while. Cool

Quote:
Nakau, a Japanese restaurant chain specializing in donburi (rice bowls) and noodles.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, my bad, I was lost in thought. Embarassed Nakau restaurants, then.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
They should make a ramen version so Hinata can show Naruto how to use ramen and eel together.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Eric Stimson wrote:
...and pudding (particularly "for well-composed, Kyoto-style women").

Nakau wrote:
なか卯の店内は、京風の落ち着きがあり女性のお客様にも、おくつろぎいただいております。

http://www.nakau.co.jp/jp/campaign/2015/150603NANA.html

Actually, the '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part says that the inside of Nakau restaurants has a Kyōto-style quiet feel. The '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part does not modify the '女性のお客様' (female customers) part.
If you think about whether 'あり' is an attributive form, you can easily find that the '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part does not modify the '女性のお客様' (female customers) part.
The reason why Nakau takes the trouble to say so is that usually women tend to regard eating at cheap joints of that kind as uncool or not feminine. So, Nakau wants to attract female customers. (See Nakau also say, 'スイーツ' (sweets). スイーツ(笑)) It seems that women are less reluctant to eat at Nakau, in comparison with other eating joints of that kind, say, Yoshinoya, however.
In Arthur Waley: A Translator of The Tale of Genji, Dr Hirakawa Sukehiro has said that the peak of Japanology in the USA had been in the middle of the twentieth century. He may be correct.

Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:

Actually, the '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part says that the inside of Nakau restaurants has a Kyōto-style quiet feel. The '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part does not modify the '女性のお客様' (female customers) part.
If you think about whether 'あり' is an attributive form, you can easily find that the '京風の落ち着きがあり' (Kyōto-style quiet) part does not modify the '女性のお客様' (female customers) part.
The reason why Nakau takes the trouble to say so is that usually women tend to regard eating at cheap joints of that kind as uncool or not feminine. So, Nakau wants to attract female customers. (See Nakau also say, 'スイーツ' (sweets). スイーツ(笑)) It seems that women are less reluctant to eat at Nakau, in comparison with other eating joints of that kind, say, Yoshinoya, however.

Thank you for pointing this out. The article has been fixed.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Thank you for pointing this out. The article has been fixed.

It's a pleasure.

hyojodoji wrote:
In Arthur Waley: A Translator of The Tale of Genji, Dr Hirakawa Sukehiro has said that the peak of Japanology in the USA had been in the middle of the twentieth century. He may be correct.

Seriously, it may be better for anime/manga-related companies to think about what they will do when a 'having a smattering of Japanese' ani-ota gaijin whose proficiency in Japanese is in reality not enough pretends to be an expert in the Japanese language and things Japanese and applies for a job related to translation at them, if actually the executives and senior staffers in the companies are not fluent in Japanese and cannot judge whether an applicant's proficiency in Japanese is high enough.
In 2006, Mr Christopher Macdonald said, 'I wish I could read/write Japanese, I honestly do,' and he also said, 'In the future, we may in fact have a new feature on ANN that compares original Japanese material to the translated North American versions, and discusses how, and why, they diverge,' which requires a staffer who is very fluent in Japanese to the level where he/she can compare original Japanese material with the English versions and can analyse differences between them.
I wonder what Mr Macdonald now thinks of his and his staffers' abilities in Japanese, nine years or so after he wrote that message.

pikopika

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Nana Mizuki! She seems like a great person Very Happy
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
So, Nakau wants to attract female customers.

The head of a department of Nakau Co., Ltd. who is in charge of the project has admitted it.
http://ryutsuu.biz/topix/h052710.html
However, notorious Zenshō, the parent company of Nakau, probably should go to great pains to solve other problems that they have on their hands, before they try to flatter and lure Sweets(笑) and obahan.

ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, it may be better for anime/manga-related companies to think about what they will do when a 'having a smattering of Japanese' ani-ota gaijin whose proficiency in Japanese is in reality not enough pretends to be an expert in the Japanese language and things Japanese and applies for a job related to translation at them, if actually the executives and senior staffers in the companies are not fluent in Japanese and cannot judge whether an applicant's proficiency in Japanese is high enough.

All of our translators are verified through their scores on JLPT and must meet a standard of Japanese language skills (N2 or better). This includes interns. The rest of your statement is entirely presumptuous, insulting: i.e. "ani-ota gaijin" and "pretends to be an expert," and is false.

This also seems to happen quite often for people who don't understand how our newsroom runs. Both of our senior staffers are fluent: Crystalyn Hodgkins & Egan Loo. Christopher MacDonald is our CEO. He does not edit any of the content on this site, although you keep referencing in your posts how his admittance of not being fluent in Japanese as some kind of proof that none of the senior staff is fluent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Quote:

All of our translators are verified through their scores on JLPT and must meet a standard of Japanese language skills (N2 or better). This includes interns. The rest of your statement is entirely presumptuous, insulting: i.e. "ani-ota gaijin" and "pretends to be an expert," and is false.

This also seems to happen quite often for people who don't understand how our newsroom runs. Both of our senior staffers are fluent: Crystalyn Hodgkins & Egan Loo. Christopher MacDonald is our CEO. He does not edit any of the content on this site, although you keep referencing in your posts how his admittance of not being fluent in Japanese as some kind of proof that none of the senior staff is fluent.

JLPT N2? I suggest to you that you should consult your dictionary for '夜郞自大', if you don't know this term.
Actually, JLPT N2 only indicates that successful applicants have abilities in Japanese which are approximately equivalent to those of sixth-grade schoolchildren in elementary schools in Japan. Even JLPT N1 only indicates that successful applicants have abilities in Japanese which are roughly equivalent to those of third-grade junior high students in Japan who can pass exams to enter ordinary high schools, and JLPT N1 doesn't require applicants to have knowledge of ancient Japanese writings and Chinese classics, whilst examination questions to enter high schools in Japan include these subjects. So, in reality, passing JLPT, even passing JLPT N1, is just something on that level. It seems that Anime News Network also deals with Japanese texts written/spoken by well-educated Japanese persons for well-educated Japanese people. Scholar of pedagogy Onozato Satoshi has pointed out that in reality JLPT N1 is utterly insufficient even to take an undergraduate course at a Japanese college. It is better for you not to think something like 'JLPT N1/N2 is a great badge. This applicant/staffer passed JLPT N1/N2. Therefore he/she is fluent in Japanese and has sufficient abilities in Japanese to skilfully translate Japanese texts aimed at well-educated or so-so-educated Japanese people.'
And, in fact, Mr Eric Stimson has made mistranslations which he would not make if he were really fluent in Japanese.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2917891&start=15
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2949255&start=30
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4559028
(Since I did not read all the ANN articles, probably there are more mistranslations.)
But he had passed the ANN examination for employment. It suggests that your criteria for selecting an applicant have a weakness, at least regarding 'Whether he/she is sufficiently fluent in Japanese?'
As to the mistranslation examples which I mentioned, If you think something like 'Those Japanese texts are difficult. They are too difficult to comprehend even for people who are fluent in Japanese. So, it was in the nature of things that Eric mistranslated them,' sad to say, it suggests that your abilities in Japanese are not very high.
No offence, but probably it is better for you people in the ANN office to deliberate whether ANN staffers(including translators and staffers who test applicants for a job related to translation)' abilities in Japanese are really high and sufficient, before you get angry at criticism concerning/someone's entertaining doubts about ANN staffers' abilities in Japanese or you insist that ANN staffers' abilities in Japanese are high and sufficient.

ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
I don't do any of the testing nor am I "angry". Again, our senior staff, that I referenced, are responsible for hiring and testing. The insults I quoted, by the way, aren't criticisms. They're presumptuous insults and they will stop.

Quote:
If you think something like 'Those Japanese texts are difficult. They are too difficult to comprehend even for people who are fluent in Japanese. So, it was in the nature of things that Eric mistranslated them,' sad to say, it suggests that your abilities in Japanese are not very high.

I never said anything remotely like this, so you're putting words in my mouth. N2 is the bare minimum, it is not necessarily Eric's score or anyone else's on staff. It's a bare minimum.

The point is, you wildly accused our staff members of only having a "smattering of Japanese" and posing as "language experts" while being, essentially just "weeaboos." Now it's "well the system you use actually isn't good enough and your writers make mistakes so obviously they're lying about their abilities." They do make mistakes. Mistakes are bad. I want to correct all mistakes and for them to never, ever happen but that's impossible.

I encourage corrections when needed from our readership. There's nothing else to be said on this matter.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:

In regards to the usage of the term "gaijin": Please, cut it out.

Thank you.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Eric Stimson wrote:
...and pudding (particularly "for well-composed, Kyoto-style women").

Nakau wrote:
なか卯の店内は、京風の落ち着きがあり女性のお客様にも、おくつろぎいただいております。

http://www.nakau.co.jp/jp/campaign/2015/150603NANA.html

Nakau's Japanese text in question is a Japanese cheap restaurant's easy advertising message aimed at Japanese Joe and Jane Six-packs. When a person cannot even understand correctly an easy Japanese advertising message aimed at Japanese Joe and Jane Six-packs, it is very difficult not to entertain doubts about his abilities in Japanese.

octopodpie wrote:
Both of our senior staffers are fluent: Crystalyn Hodgkins & Egan Loo.

I have read Japanese texts which Ms Crystalyn Hodgkins had written in 2015. Her Japanese is bad.

I'm afraid that there is the 'In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king (i.e., Even someone without much talent or ability is considered special by those with no talent or ability at all).' situation in the ANN office regarding ANN staffers' abilities in Japanese.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1