• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Announces New Gundam Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I wish all the best for the next series, but I feel that if they keep over saturating the market with Gundam, the franchise is going to end up like it did in the 90's.

I've been saying that for years, but the response is always "nope, just needs more Gundam, you're just a hater." I find Macross more precious because it tends to be about one series per decade and then a few movies and OVAs. Aquarion's been more saturated.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
good gundam show like G-Reco
You're a rare bird. Tomino admitted G-Reco was a complete mess.

I believe he said It got confusing towards the end which doesn't explain why a lot of people were lost by the half way point of episode 2. I've also heard him rant on a lot of his works and not all of them were poorly received by the public like G-Reco. At any rate I didn't find it to be any more of a mess them many other anime I've seen.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
AGE was bad, but at least it had a story it wanted to tell and tried to tell it. It was no where near the train wreck that G-Reco was because the guy in charge only cared about (1) pushing his political agenda despite admitting it wouldn't even be seen by those who could do anything and (2) showing how awesome his old animators are. To be fair, he did succeed in the latter, and pretty battles are important. If only his main priority was creating enjoyable entertainment instead of the former.

Have to give Tomino some respect though. He often calls people out for poor work. This time he held himself to the same standard when he spoke out to admit he blew it.

pajmo9 wrote:
Its probably to much to ask to get another good gundam show like G-Reco so soon. I'm still interested to see what this is going to be like.

It seems your criteria for 'good' is getting a public apology immediately after the final episode airs because of the poor quality of the series. In that case, this new one better be f'ing amazing because apparently 'good' is the new 'trash'.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I can´t say that i like what happened to the studio overall on the anime front during the last few years with the quality and highly successful The Origin being the clear exception but more 70s milking isn´t where i would like to go. An original show would be nice that is more adult aimed as let´s say MS Team /Stardust.

There have been a lot of quality Gundam manga as Gundam Thunderbolt (a rare seinen entry), Giren Ansatsu Keikaku or Johnny Ridden no Kikan over the last 10 years which should be looked at to see how once can keep a near 40 years old franchise fresh. Some of the editors and writers should be allowed to have at least some say where to go on the anime front.
There have been a lot or remake manga by the original creators too and all are better then the shows they are based on. Kidou Senshi Z Gundam Define (i wrote a MU review) is one of the best comics in publication right now! Try out those or Tomino´s Awakening, Escalation, Confrontation novels. Military fiction at it´s finest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
-People still saying Tomino apologized for G-Reco

He says that about everything he's worked, from Dunbine to Gundam. Does nobody remember the infamous "Don't buy this DVD!" pamphlet in Victory's last DVD? The only case I don't remember that happening was ZZ. ZZ confirmed for Best Tomino show, I guess?

Anyway; I hope it's something completely different from the norm.

Full blown fantasy Gundam please?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
-People still saying Tomino apologized for G-Reco

He says that about everything he's worked, from Dunbine to Gundam. Does nobody remember the infamous "Don't buy this DVD!" pamphlet in Victory's last DVD? The only case I don't remember that happening was ZZ. ZZ confirmed for Best Tomino show, I guess?

Anyway; I hope it's something completely different from the norm.

Full blown fantasy Gundam please?

I know, right. That's what I was saying in my previous post. He even apologizes for things that are well received.

That silhouette really made me think of mid evil armour for some reason. I got pretty excited. Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Good to know they're keeping their signature franchise alive.
nakobass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Come on Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an announcement. This is announcement of an announcement.

"We're proud to announce that... we'll have an announcement!"

Well, whatever it is, I have The Origin to fall back on, so even if it's some shady AU or a SEED movie, it'll be fine. There's plenty of Gundam for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder as what Reco started but it is one of the better (still a so-so) Sunrine shows of the last 5 years and i will forever treasure Victory as the best tv Gundam after Zeta. I want an apology for Mobile Fighter, most of Seed (Destiny is a bit funny though) and the 00 movie Confused .
(The Wing remake manga is also better than the show if anyone cares. Even Fighter got one.)

Fantasy Gundam would mean more Byston Well and that is not a happy place too be for all sorts of reasons. A Crossbone Gundam anime based on the manga would be an undesirable outcome too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I wish all the best for the next series, but I feel that if they keep over saturating the market with Gundam, the franchise is going to end up like it did in the 90's.

I've been saying that for years, but the response is always "nope, just needs more Gundam, you're just a hater." I find Macross more precious because it tends to be about one series per decade and then a few movies and OVAs. Aquarion's been more saturated.

Macross is more "precious" because whatever the fans may think, Macross is not as big a franchise as Gundam is. No comparison whatsoever. So Kawamori can do well with once a decade Macross series. Bandai/Sunrise cannot do that. And there is no saturation of the Gundam market. Gundam as a metafranchise caters to many different demographics with many different products. What's so f*cking difficult to understand in this ?
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Would like to see a good ass war Gundam TV anime again. Last one I loved was Gundam 00.
Fenseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
please don't be shit please don't be shit please don't be shit

I've hated the past 2 Gundam anime series. Build fighter and the one with the weird animation.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Gundam has beat any live action series that has existed. I'm not into Gundam but I'm always curious to see what they'll come up with next.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Macross is more "precious" because whatever the fans may think, Macross is not as big a franchise as Gundam is. No comparison whatsoever. So Kawamori can do well with once a decade Macross series. Bandai/Sunrise cannot do that. And there is no saturation of the Gundam market. Gundam as a metafranchise caters to many different demographics with many different products. What's so f*cking difficult to understand in this ?

Because I goddamn love shittalking Nudgams, some Nutgums just outright blow like AGE and Reco, and if all of the Gubnums start sucking and there's still a constant barrage of them coming out, won't people get just start to get exhausted of seeing it around? That would have absolutely happened to super hero movies if everything was more like Green Lantern than Avengers... Maybe the Japanese fans are too Stockholm'd at this point for that to occur, but really, we've gotta get a good Gundam TV show that's not catering to shounen card battling. We haven't had that since maybe 00 Season 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5