• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Was Nakamura using a cell phone inside the snake's belly? Wasn't this manga written in the 90s? I'm so confused right now... Confused

Well, it's not like there weren't cell phones in the 90's. It appeared to have a touchscreen though, which I assume was something they updated for the modern adaptation. An unnecessary change IMO, if that is the case.

Still, she managed to make a phone call from the belly of a giant sea snake. Japan must have damn good cell reception Wink

I guess I wouldn't actually know, since I was pretty young all through the 90's, lol, but my family was pretty "behind-the-times" for a while, so we certainly didn't have any. If the original manga had her on a cell phone though, so be it. Laughing
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Was Nakamura using a cell phone inside the snake's belly? Wasn't this manga written in the 90s? I'm so confused right now... Confused

Originally, Tatsuya's toy was a walkie-talkie. Nakamura used the walkie-talkie to communicate with Ushio (who had the other walkie-talkie) from inside the Snake's belly, which is even more unbelievable than using a cell.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Now we're talking. This episode was largely the same as the corresponding OVA, but notably better. It amped up the drama and pathos between the three characters and featured a much more satisfying climax when Ushio confessed to Hyou about the lie he told him. This is why I'm digging on this show so much. The only thing that wasn't as good was Daisuke Namikawa's Hyou. He's not bad by any stretch, but Norio Wakamoto was much better at conveying the character's turmoil and grief.

Episode 6

And this is why I think the original OVA still has some inherent advantages. Although I think this story was condensed better than Tora Goes to the City, it still cut too much. To be fair, the OVA version made it seem like Nakamura believed her experience was just a dream, while in the TV series she acknowledges that she was, in fact, swallowed by a monster (though Ushio's identity remained secret). Plus I quite liked the redesign of Ayakashi and the ending of the episode looks like it will kick off story material that was previously not animated. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I just hope that when the Kamaitachi sibling's are introduced, their story is animated as a two-parter instead of being condensed.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Snakes on a plane. Laughing
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the shows I was seriously looking forward and anticipating this season, and it hasn't let me down yet. Does the comedy sometimes get too heavy? Sure. Is it still on a 'Monster of the Week'? Yeah, but who cares? It's really entertaining, and really takes me back to some of the first anime I ever watched (I watched the OVAs, as they were one of my very first known exposure to anime in general).

I think they are building it up slowly. I think these episodes are more about character-building than plot-progressing. We've obviously seen the difference in Ushio and Tora's relationship over the past 8 episodes from down-right hostile to very trusting. Ushio doesn't have to beg for help anymore and Tora doesn't resist as much as he used to. It also feels like their introducing important characters for the story (Hyou and Yuu).

Of course, I'm an anime spectator who hasn't read the manga, so I could be really off-mark here. But I'm still pretty hyped for what's to come.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only indication that this episode is part of the bigger quest arc established last week is Fusuma's intonation that if the Beast Spear is here, the "Hakumen no Mono" will reappear.

Which we learned last week when the Committee on Beast Spear Affairs met. So nothing new, really.

I thought it was funny that the fighter pilots took what they were seeing at face value, and their ground control didn't question their sanity either. "A demon you say? Well okay then, fire at will!" Here they ground you and send you to the shrink if you report a UFO. Smile

I also appreciated that they at least gave a nod to the airspeed (if not cabin pressure), unlike God Eater, which had people fighting on a plane that was apparently going a breezy 15 mph.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 was enjoyable enough except for the excessive amount of suspension of disbelief required in the face of immaculate costumes and hairstyles, snd the ability to stand around and speak normally, despite a depressurised cabin and the deafening and debilitating amount of noise and wind that would produce.

Just saying.

(So I'm a pedant. But I enjoyed it all the same!!)
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Snakes on a plane. Laughing

Get that melonfarming Youkai off that melonfarming 'plane.

(hat tip to the Bowdlerism used in 'Repo Man')
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
move over Superman...here comes Tora !!

I didn't know he can breath fire....

fly, electricity, fire, sharp claws,etc.. what else have yet to reveal about tora ?

hidden abilities/powers?
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, i think this was the best episode so far. Gonna be interesting to see how the rest of the populace react to Excorcist Ushio, unless the show are gonna make them all forget that they saw him transform and fight in this episode. Also of note is how matter-of-fact ground control was about a youkai attacking a plane. Perhaps the grown-ups is more in on the masquerade then is usualy the case this time around?

Last edited by Azmodeus on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Monster of the week again, so a bit underwhelming compared to last week.
This seemed very reminiscent of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, though: the vehicle they used was attacked and destroyed while on a journey for his mother, and Tora even kind of acted like a Stand this episode, a bit. The particulars differ, but I was still amused by this.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
okay, so by the title listed after the credits it looks like they're skipping the Kyoura intro bit and going straight to the kamaitachi. I hope it's some timeline shuffling only, but I'm happy to know I'll see my favorite part from the old OVA version as a proper TV episode finally.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
okay, so by the title listed after the credits it looks like they're skipping the Kyoura intro bit and going straight to the kamaitachi. I hope it's some timeline shuffling only, but I'm happy to know I'll see my favorite part from the old OVA version as a proper TV episode finally.

it's quite a jump

this episode reminds me of Pom Poko in a way
anime#809
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Thought they would skip this part of the manga/OVAs but I guess I was wrong. Man the animation in this week was nonexistant. Only like 5 frames worth of combat and the rest was just corny 80s environmentalism rushed into one episode with no breathing room. OVA version of this episode was far better.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Wasn't really feeling this episode, as gedata said "corny 80s environmentalism", it all felt rather forced, and in no way thought provoking, like they seem to think it is. I'm happy they are sticking to the Manga, but this should of really been boiled down, the message could of come across in only 2 short scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12