• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Defense of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsundereikemen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I started watching the 2003 one and loved it from then on. Also, I think that was pretty much what made the series popular at the time.

2003 is strong by itself coz it was a well rounded and balanced project. Humour, character developments, drama, music, and also well directed. In terms of the source, well that's where it fails to continue how the manga was originally created to go but it did have a good standing by itself especially if you add the Shamballa movie.

Brotherhood was created to continue what BONES started, I think. Seeing as they never went through the beginning as much detail as they did the first anime. But I tend to recommend this to most people if all they want is the whole story and especially if they've watched the first anime. If not, I still like to suggest to them the first one coz I have a bias love for it and how well they produced that compared to this second one. But of course, it's just a personal thing :p
icelava

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
At a general level, anime adaptations that veer "off course" tend to suffer inferiority against the source manga. Unfortunate or not, however, I am one of those who feel the 2003 original to be superior to the "faithful" 2009 production.

What you have written adequately covers much of my impression.

Right from the beginning I was kind of "disappointed" by how rushed and somewhat superficial (relatively) the 2009 series paces itself to get the story moving, when compared to the 2003 direction. The former plot themes and character developments also seemed deeper, darker, and more impactful to me. Not to say that the 2009 plot was bad, but it just felt more "playful", less serious, and less consequential than 2003.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
FMA 2003 is alright.

if you are going to watch it... then do it without reading the manga first.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
Hm...I think that it's time for a rewatch.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Quote:
The first anime was designed to be its own story from the beginning

I wouldn't go that far. Roughly, the first half of the series pretty much follows the events of the manga, barring filler. In fact -

Stop right there! Lyra, an anime-only characterspoiler[ made an appearance in the coal mine episode and her twist would be a major one].

Dante, also an spoiler[anime-only character made her appearance during the Devil's Nest incident] and it was still following the manga at that point.

Tucker was spoiler[shown alive during the lab 5 incident as a chimera].

The fake Elrics, while contributed the least, spoiler[would be brought back for some kind of revelation].

You can't say all those were things they threw in at the last minute after the writing phase was complete and they were animating it. While plot changes may be made during production for the sake of budget or unforseen plot holes, But these changes are way too big to not have been planned from the start, thus, FMA 2003 was designed to be its own thing. There are definitely more changes that affected the the plot drastically while the anime was still heavily using the manga's material in its episodes.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
I read the manga before watching either anime. I loved the manga, and wanted to watch the anime immediately after I finished it. However, when I looked online for advice... Most people recommended I skip the 2003 anime entirely! There were a few people who said I should watch it before watching Broho, since it would make Broho more satisfying, but almost nobody recommended watching 2003 for it's own merits! All I knew is that it "made up" it's own storyline, and that was apparently very, very bad. I'm lucky I was curious, because the 2003 series ended up not only being my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist, but my favorite anime! That's why I do feel like the 2003 series needs defending- I almost missed out on so much!

the-antihero wrote:
ParkerALx wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Roughly, the first half of the series pretty much follows the events of the manga, barring filler. In fact -

Stop right there!...

...There are definitely more changes that affected the the plot drastically while the anime was still heavily using the manga's material in its episodes.

Really, spoiler[the addition of Sloth] makes it very clear it was never their intention to follow the manga. In fact, as someone who read the manga beforehand, when spoiler[Alphonse said the line about hearing his Mother's voice,] legitimate chills went up my spine.
MadHi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Mr. Dent wrote:
I read the manga before watching either anime. I loved the manga, and wanted to watch the anime immediately after I finished it. However, when I looked online for advice... Most people recommended I skip the 2003 anime entirely! There were a few people who said I should watch it before watching Broho, since it would make Broho more satisfying, but almost nobody recommended watching 2003 for it's own merits! All I knew is that it "made up" it's own storyline, and that was apparently very, very bad. I'm lucky I was curious, because the 2003 series ended up not only being my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist, but my favorite anime! That's why I do feel like the 2003 series needs defending- I almost missed out on so much!

You are my new best friend in the world now! You are proof that there is hope for fandom. You are the chosen one!
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
You are my new best friend in the world now! You are proof that there is hope for fandom. You are the chosen one!

It's kind of a bad sign when I'm treated like a unicorn for having read the manga first, but liking the 2003 series more. They're both good, it really just comes down to personal preference... but no, we have to have a "right one" and a "wrong one."

why can't we be friends
why can't we be friends
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Dent wrote:
MadHi wrote:

It's kind of a bad sign when I'm treated like a unicorn for having read the manga first, but liking the 2003 series more. They're both good, it really just comes down to personal preference... but no, we have to have a "right one" and a "wrong one."

why can't we be friends
why can't we be friends

This is a war, you have to imply that people are stupid for not thinking the version of FMA you prefer is the best one. You have to say that the people who worked on the version you didn't like as much are all crazy and incompetent.

The problem with the FMA fandom is that its a group of people divided into two factions that constantly yell at each other, but have never actually talked to each other.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
This is a war, you have to imply that people are stupid for not thinking the version of FMA you prefer is the best one. You have to say that the people who worked on the version you didn't like as much are all crazy and incompetent.

I do understand why it's so divisive, I think. They're two different storylines using common characters and elements, but tonally and thematically, they're actually almost in opposition most of the time. That said, it isn't that either series is less thought through or in less capable hands, it's that they're handled by people with very different goals and equally distinct visions.

Quote:
The problem with the FMA fandom is that its a group of people divided into two factions that constantly yell at each other, but have never actually talked to each other.

And what a shame that is, isn't it?! Imagine all the crossover opportunities! Seriously, am I the only one who can't stop thinking of how amazing a battle between 03's Sloth and Brotherhood's Wrath would be? Or who ships Dante with the Dwarf in the Flask?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

"Gentleman, I like war."
-- The Major (Hellsing)
Gringofied

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
Mr. Dent wrote:
And what a shame that is, isn't it?! Imagine all the crossover opportunities! Seriously, am I the only one who can't stop thinking of how amazing a battle between 03's Sloth and Brotherhood's Wrath would be? Or who ships Dante with the Dwarf in the Flask?

I would seriously love to see a conversation between both Edwards from both timelines; given their differing views due to experiences, I'd love to see them have an exchange just to highlight how similar and different their ideologies can be.
xzy123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
one of most overrated series ever in manga and same is HXH
Avar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Note: Pre-emptive apology for the wall of text.

While I agree with the sentiment that FMA2003 doesn't need defending, it is sadly far less popular than Brotherhood. The primary reason for this is the target demographic and the difference in thematic depth & scope of each show.

FMA2003 begins as shonen then, after deviating from the manga, gradually becomes seinen while also becoming increasingly meta and philosophical. In this regard, it's not unlike Neon Genesis Evangelion, only FMA2003's execution is more gradual and seemless to the point that someone purely wanting an action adventure battle shonen might not recognize it but also won't appreciate it. More specifically, the fights in FMA2003 are just punctuation for character development and for the thematic exploration of some grim facets of the human condition rather than for being the meat and potatoes of the plot. Even Dante and Eckhart though believable, relatable, accurately flawed humans are more plot devices than characters. By its conclusion, FMA2003 can be classified as a dark blend of action/adventure/horror/drama/thriller/mystery operating in the realms of both fantasy and sci-fi. Its emotional lows are very very VERY low to the extent that it can't be classified as a "fun" ride. It's a ride that I love very deeply but it is a traumatric, lonely, melancholy, painful ride, by intent and design.

Brotherhood starts as and remains a typical battle shonen, though fairly well executed compared to similar works. As such, it is innocuous and far less likely to alienate its viewers, especially not those who would be likely to dive into it to begin with. While Brotherhood may still be appreciated by various age groups, its target audience is a younger aspect of the shonen demographic than that of both FMA2003 and the original manga. This is evidenced by the overall lighter tone displayed in acting, artistic design, and plot development/progression. An example of this is that it is excessively bright at all times, literally. It doesn't matter if the scene takes place in a sewer without any light sources, in a basement laboratory after an atrocity has been commited, or while confronting admitted mass-murderers in the dead of night... the colour sceme is defensively luminous such that you'd believe almost every scene is broad daylight. It is often noticeably brighter during scenes that are meant to be dramatic, sad, or dark. Also evident as a means of lightening the tone is the continued use of slapstick humour, though it becomes more nuanced as Brotherhood progresses. Finally, the morals of the show are more fundamental than those of FMA2003. By the end, Brotherhood can be classified as an action adventure fantasy, a blend of genre that will probabilistically dominate all others, especially when compared to darker and less "fun" vessels.

There is also the matter of physical delivery. FMA2003 weaves an intricate plot with very subtle aspects that can be easily missed if someone were to only watch the series as it aired on TV. It's more difficult to follow and the show demands your full attention to the extent that a few facets are so subtle that I'd have missed them completely if I wasn't able to pause and rewatch certain moments. Conversely, Brotherhood explains every detail in excrutiating depth at all times (eg. "These are this person's thoughts and this is how they are feeling" *footstomp*, "I am a bad guy and this is why!" *footstomp*, "I am this character, these are the things that have happened to me, and these are my motivations and objectives" *footstomp* "X just happened because of Y and we are going to do Z" *footstomp*) in every episode, so it's much easier to follow episodically, if following it on TV. Therefore, by design, FMA2003 rewards you for binge watching while Brotherhood accidentally punishes you for it, or for being overly attentive. At time of release this is ultimately a plus for Brotherhood viewers and a further complication for FMA2003 viewers, unless they're taking notes on each episode.

Ultimately, I think Conqueror of Shamballa specifically needs defending far more than FMA2003 as a whole does. This is for the culmination of the extreme of the reasons outlined in my second paragraph. It does maintain a shonen veneer but it's heavily built of the kind of abstract symbology that is very difficult to immediately appreciate, or even recognize and process. FMA2003 Greed also needs defending vs Brotherhood's Greed. He's basically the hero of the whole story and he damn well knows it, clandestinely stealing the glory for himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11