• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Anime Ever Come To My Country (Legally)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravager

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
ravager wrote:
I've only bought anime and Japanese live action movies from SG, but no problem with their subs. Don't know about HK, sorry.

That's good to hear. I'll have to look into it. Do you have some links maybe? And what about S-Korea?

The ones from SG, I bought in-store. Korean DVDs I found through eBay.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
ravager wrote:
The ones from SG, I bought in-store. Korean DVDs I found through eBay.

Ah, I see. I was searching for SG online shops, but didn't find any. I did see some interesting anime on Odex's (SG licensing company) site though. Ebay is a bit risky if I can't compare the pics to the official releases to check for bootlegs.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What is the anime and manga situation in Russia right now, and would it be possible for Iranians to legally import Japanese manga and/or anime from Russia? I think Russia is still trading with Iran despite the sanctions, right?
Well the situation is that aside from Crunchy and Daisuki streams not that much stuff gets licensed in Russia. Some very big titles do get released on DVD and shown on TV, and some arthouse cinemas in the major cities organize brief screenings of anime movies, but, for example, much of Funimation's catalogue isn't legally available in any form. This, combined with our traditionally negligent attitude towards copyright, means that piracy is pretty much the norm in the anime community - for all I know I may be the only Russian stupid enough to pay for a Crunchyroll subscription Very Happy Jokes aside, the country's most popular social network only recently reluctantly started implementing measures against uploads and shares of music, Hollywood films and HBO series (and those measures aren't hard to get around with some creative renaming). Since anime is a much more fringe interest those measures haven't really affected it yet, and it doesn't seem to have reached the attention of Orthodox moral guardians either.

As for the possibility of Iranians importing from Russia, I don't think that's likely to happen. Even outside the concerns about exporting legal DVDs/Blurays/manga outside the licensee country, someone would also need to add to translate stuff into Persian, which will be hard to justify to the copyright holders if the licence only covers Russia and maybe Belarus and Kazakhstan. I guess theoretically they could negotiate an extension of the licence to Tajikistan and then argue that Tajik is basically a dialect of Persian, but I don't think anyone will bother.
elahe123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
guuuuuuys
of course i can'd deny that we do face all these hardships along the holy path of pursuing anime (!) but it's not THAT bad.
i'm an Iranian girl and thanks to this amazing invention called the internet i do have access to most of the things you guys do. i know it is illegal, but still i can watch all the animes that i want and read the mangas i like and collect my anime OSTs which i love. And, though it may be hard to believe for some of you, my friend and i, and actually a lot of others in my country are fujoshis. Yes, i love yaoi and i ain't ashamed to accept it Twisted Evil
AND... it may be wrong to say it but... I actually get to save a lot of money! Because if i could buy all the mangas and dvds that i want, i most probably would end up sleeping on the street Shocked
so yeah... it's not that good but we'll survive so don't worry Laughing
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
^ I was wondering if someone in Iran would bite and post in the discussion. It's disrespectful for people of a different nationality to trash talk your home country. Even more so when those people try to dress those comments as helpful and humane, and it's so obvious what they're trying to push. There's no reason to trash talk Iran anymore because the cold war ended a while ago and now there's the potential of them conducting business with America in the future.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
^ I was wondering if someone in Iran would bite and post in the discussion. It's disrespectful for people of a different nationality to trash talk your home country. Even more so when those people try to dress those comments as helpful and humane, and it's so obvious what they're trying to push. There's no reason to trash talk Iran anymore because the cold war ended a while ago and now there's the potential of them conducting business with America in the future.

By this logic, comedians shouldn't be doing stereotypes of other nationalities.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

I dunno. This happens a lot when talking about more "privileged" countries yet people allow it. Iran shouldn't be an exception.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Hyperdrve wrote:

By this logic, comedians shouldn't be doing stereotypes of other nationalities.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point is that the cold war ended more than two decades ago and that, given current events, countries are lining up to do business with Iran and that the US should be one of those countries. I don't know who, other than baby boomers, thinks it's convenient to keep painting Iran as the devil.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The newspeople. (Well, I keep seeing scare-stories about, well, everything on the TV news, the newspapers, and news sites.)
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The newspeople. (Well, I keep seeing scare-stories about, well, everything on the TV news, the newspapers, and news sites.)

Iran News Today - Iran Latest News & Facts - The New York Times

I don't see any overwhelmingly negative reports here. All that's been reported lately is just news about politicians doing politics.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't say it was specific to Iran (though I did see an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago about Iranian nuclear power plants and people in the United States convinced they want to nuke us). I said it was for pretty much everything. Scare stories bring in and keep audiences. This sensationalism is old media's clickbait. (Incidentally, the LA Times seems to be among the most pessimistic views of California's drought. Just in the past two weeks, I've found stories about sequoias in distress, dying forests, an incredibly bleak forecast of the coming decades stating California will enter permanent drought, the evaporation of Lake Mead, refusal of citizens of Aliso Viejo to cut back on their water usage, people of southern California in general not meeting government goals, or if they do, predictions that they won't, and farmers being irresponsible with their underground wells.) Any stories about other countries the LA Times prints is just as depressing, from doctors in India getting attacked to what seems to be a daily update about the economic crisis in Greece.

The local TV news is even worse, as they pretty much have paranoia-stirring stories about anything they can get their hands on (not just Iran). The night before, they spoke about the stock market's recovery in the United States and China, for instance, but not before saying there's still a chance of another crash (without saying the likelihood). They also spoke of another death from gang violence and the local citizens' outrage over midnight street racing hooligans. (This is, of course, not including the stuff about Donald Trump and Jeb Bush that dominates the news right now.)

Of course, the TV news has demographics of mostly the elderly now, so you have a lot of those "darn kids!" pieces and a good deal of xenophobia.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
(though I did see an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago about Iranian nuclear power plants and people in the United States convinced they want to nuke us).

Iran's most advanced missile is estimated to have a range of 2,500 km. A google query reveals that the distance between the US and Iran is 11,651 km. In comparison, Russia's maximum missile range is 16,000 km and we're most definitely within range. I think the current negotiations in place between the United States and Iran are because America's foreign policy with respect to Iran is dated and now other countries won't take us seriously when we point our finger at Iran and call them the boogeyman.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
elahe123 wrote:
guuuuuuys
of course i can'd deny that we do face all these hardships along the holy path of pursuing anime (!) but it's not THAT bad.
i'm an Iranian girl and thanks to this amazing invention called the internet i do have access to most of the things you guys do. i know it is illegal, but still i can watch all the animes that i want and read the mangas i like and collect my anime OSTs which i love. And, though it may be hard to believe for some of you, my friend and i, and actually a lot of others in my country are fujoshis. Yes, i love yaoi and i ain't ashamed to accept it Twisted Evil
AND... it may be wrong to say it but... I actually get to save a lot of money! Because if i could buy all the mangas and dvds that i want, i most probably would end up sleeping on the street Shocked
so yeah... it's not that good but we'll survive so don't worry Laughing

I believe you. Don't worry. Anime, and love for LGBT things, is a bit like Heavy Metal or Punk... It always reaches everywhere, all the time.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Technically, not all fansubs are illegal. That is, sometimes a Japanese anime company may allow a fansub group to sub 1 of that company's said shows.
International law says otherwise. Can you cite any cases where this has actually happened, or are you just making random stuff up out of nowhere?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Perhaps China too, though as we all know, China gleefully censors and bans anime. To my knowledge, Russia is much more open about its media than China is. Even under the USSR, you had satirical magazines like Krokodil which poked fun of its own government, something the Chinese government would never put up with.
After Stalin died, the Soviet government made a very conscience decision to be less tyrannical(de-Stalinzation is actually the cause of the Sino-Soviet split: Mao was stupid enough to ignore Russian experience and insist on ideological purity). There was also a guarantee(on paper) of freedom of speech even in the 1936 Stalin constitution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5