• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Men Denied Bail After Alleged Threats on Pokémon World Championships

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Not too surprising. They are from out of state with seemingly no reason to be there except to be at the tournament, so they would be considered a flight risk. Throw in that they traveled over several states with weapons in the trunk after making threats, and they come off as a risk to the public for bond setting purposes. Leaving the weapons in the trunk is probably the reason why they haven't been charged with anything more serious than the weapons charges right now, but for bond setting purposes, I doubt the judge was willing to risk that these guys didn't intend to hurt anyone. Why travel all that distance with illegal firearms and a bunch of ammunition if there wasn't a purpose behind it? They could have been scoping things out beforehand before they got violent.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Amiantos wrote:
The main charge should be the unlicensed carry of fire arms they had no license for.

Like my state, Missouri appears to be a state that does not require licensing of firearms, so it is no surprise they would have no license.

The real issue is the transport of the weapons into a state that does require licensing.

They are from Iowa, not Missouri, and Iowa requires weapons permits.
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Between the drive from Iowa to Mass. I'm wondering how many of those states do have the law of needing a permit to carry a firearm, let alone to transport one over state lines.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
They didn't have their weapons because they where casing the place first. At least that should be pretty easy for the prosecutor to argue.

This was my thought, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goober2049

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
So they didn't have licenses for the weapons that were in their car. They posted several times about killing people at the tournament, but they totally weren't going to actually do it because they didn't bring the guns in with them the first time they entered?

That's a stretch, Mr. Defense Attorney.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Honestly while they should be charged with something minor for the perceived threats, it's pretty obvious they weren't serious about actually carrying them out. If they were, they would have tried to hide some weapons on them. The main charge should be the unlicensed carry of fire arms they had no license for. I'm pleased with ANN's reporting on this as they don't try and take the "Feels" route for their articles when reporting on this like other sites have.

That's pretty naive to think that they weren't serious about carrying out their threats after traveling through several states with a car filled with weapons just because they entered the building unarmed. As others have said, they were probably just scoping the place out first before they went in carrying their weapons.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Given how many mass shootings we have had lately. Many with online threats. It would have been very negligent for either the event promoters or the police to not take this seriously. Since they took extensive actions in the direction of carrying out their threats, it would take a very naïve person to think that their "we didn't mean it" defense is valid. That is something only a defense attorney or a parent could really support.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I expect they will be in jail for a half a year or more before they come to trial, unless they plea bargain.

What surprises me is their apparently complete confidence that they would be let in in spite of the threats.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their attorneys stated that the person the men allegedly targeted lives in Missouri, not Boston where the championship was held.

Because where they planned to carry out the deed makes a difference. Rolling Eyes Didn't just just shoot themselves in the foot by admitting they were targeting someone?

They made threats, they had the weapons. They were probably scoping out the venue before making their move. Quite an uphill battle for the defense, I'd say.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
They made threats, they had the weapons. They were probably scoping out the venue before making their move. Quite an uphill battle for the defense, I'd say.

I would go so far to say that the chance of the defense beating these charges is so astronomical, it may very well be nonexistent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

I would go so far to say that the chance of the defense beating these charges is so astronomical, it may very well be nonexistent.

What I've learned over the years in the courts though is that........... there's no such thing as a slam dunk.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zero Gravity wrote:
lets take a moment and think:

When you take a trunk full of weapons that rivals James Holmes trunk, to a large international gathering event, while making an online threat to shoot someone with an AR-15, posting a picture of you putting said guns into a trunk stating your going to said international event, in a city that is still on edge after the bombing several year ago, AND you don't even have a permit to own ANY of those guns?

What did you think was going to happen?

They HAVE to be incredibly stupid to have thought that was ok.

Not even that, considering the Boston marathon bombings were...last year, were they?

Alan45 wrote:
What surprises me is their apparently complete confidence that they would be let in in spite of the threats.

I'm not. They probably thought that no one important would know about those threats or that they wouldn't take them seriously.

Someone who would make death threats to people who wronged them in minor ways and bring those weapons across several states indicates that someone is 1) A risk taker, 2) Boldly confident, 3) Has a large ego, and 4) Is crazy. Hence, I don't think it's that much of a stretch that they thought they could go anywhere and do anything they wanted.
Charagon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Same goes for everybody in this thread that has strung together the words "they were probably."

It's possible that they were planning to shoot up the convention center.
It's equally, if not more likely, that the self-admitted gun enthusiasts were taking the opportunity of their road trip to visit shooting ranges.

It's possible that they intended to carry out the threats they made on the Internet.
It's also possible that they, like every other dumb redneck with a barely functional grasp of social etiquette, were just incredibly stupid about what they posted.

Any prosecutor trying to prove the intent of these guys has a goddamn mountain to climb, which is why they haven't even been charged for the threats yet.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
@Charagon

Yes, if the men were tried with only their alleged online threats being used as evidence, the defense wouldn't have that hard of a time winning against the charge of making death threats. However, they still face an uphill battle concerning the weapons charges.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2