• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Flare-kun wrote:
Also, I'm surprised that so many people find the "investigation mode" sequence so jarring. It's no more than fifteen seconds of airtime, and to see people claiming that it detracts so heavily from their viewing experience seems to me a rather inordinate reaction.

I don't get that either, although different tastes and all. I rather like it myself.

Episode 4

That's a rather suspicious pile o' curses he's accumulated. Doesn't help that he's saying suspicious things to suspicious strangers on the street. Methinks he's setting up an alibi for something.

I thought it was odd that they didn't check the car in the woods to see if there was anyone inside who could move it or who was dead or something. It didn't look stuck and that's a strange place to just park your car. I assume it belongs to suspicious stranger-kun?

I hope it doesn't turn out that the firewood is killing them all. Just saw that one last season. Wink Also no poisoning by apple seed cyanide please, since that's bogus.

Apparently the painting is again key, though I can't imagine what she's got in mind without even seeing it. I hope they explain further about the house design. They made that vaguely suspicious too, then dropped it.

Whatever the outcome, the OP suggests that spoiler[the dog will be getting a new home] after this.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a step up as a whole. The resolution to everything still came in the form of Sakurako walking around, pointing to things, and saying "this is because of this," which is unfortunate after last week showed the show is capable of some nuance and atmosphere. However, at least I was invested in the solutions and reasoning behind it overall, instead of there being no emotional attachment there whatsoever.

I think the books are still going on, so I wonder if there is actually a larger resolution of some sort planned, or if the hints and small reveals about Sakurako's past will simply continue to come without any actual intention to wrap stuff up. That's basically my single hesitation that makes it hard to care too much about the ways Sakurako's own story is reflected or expanded upon in the smaller stories.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This 2 parter was pretty asinine from top to bottom.
spoiler[There's gotta be easier ways of killing oneself "accidentally" right? And even if he did succeed he would have left a dangerous painting in the possession of his family (I'd imagine his wife would keep it as a memento maybe). When you think of it that way, it would've been better for him to just leap off a bridge right? He also finds a job before he even recovers from his wound which cheapened the preceding conflict further with how easy it was to get his family back to a stable situation. Maybe he should've considered going for a job hunt before trying to slowly poison himself to death.

I can live with Mary Sue characters to some degree, but so long as their expertise remains situated around a certain subject. Here we have an osteologist who knows everything about goddamn mold from 19th Century paint and arsenic poisoning because why not

My favorite part of the episode was when Sakurako said "the bones don't add up", which got a chuckle out of me for how random it was. It wouldn't surprise me much if that and the "flashback to all the clues sequence" came back in future episodes.

Also the "let's solve the mystery" sequence makes no sense if there aren't bones to look at.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
spoiler[There's gotta be easier ways of killing oneself "accidentally" right? And even if he did succeed he would have left a dangerous painting in the possession of his family (I'd imagine his wife would keep it as a memento maybe). When you think of it that way, it would've been better for him to just leap off a bridge right?]

While I agree with the first sentence, spoiler[the guy didn't know the painting was dangerous (just that it was 'cursed'), and jumping off a bridge by accident might tip even the absurdly stupid police from this show.]
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
gedata wrote:
spoiler[There's gotta be easier ways of killing oneself "accidentally" right? And even if he did succeed he would have left a dangerous painting in the possession of his family (I'd imagine his wife would keep it as a memento maybe). When you think of it that way, it would've been better for him to just leap off a bridge right?]

While I agree with the first sentence, spoiler[the guy didn't know the painting was dangerous (just that it was 'cursed'), and jumping off a bridge by accident might tip even the absurdly stupid police from this show.]

spoiler[Given how much he was hiding I got the idea that he may have been feigning ignorance all along. If he honestly believed that two generations of his family died from a curse when something like that would be very believable within the realms of coincidence, then I don't need to say it do I?]
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I also found Sakurako's line "the bones don't add up" to be amusing. That was very Sakurako (?)

So I don't know where this is a solid mini arc. Even though the show built up a little mlre, gave us hints and more time, it was a pretty stupid mistery with stupid characters and motivations, IMO. spoiler[He wants to die so he can help his family? What the freaking fudge! That would be the worst thing that could happen to her wife and baby. Fortunately, Ms. Bones appeared to save them from the arsenic painting.]

So far I'm liking this anime more when it's focused on short misteries that actually develop more the main and secondary characters, like the one of the little girl or the mistery from Ep. 3. But if the show keeps bringing dumb misteries with no solid motivations, then I'll just drop this one. Even Hyouka's dumb misteries were more entertaining and compelling than this one.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh, I had a mostly opposite reaction to this episode. Kougami is such a painfully boring character, and her drama was just ehh. There was the one line where she reminisced her grandmother that did feel kinda neat, but since her grandmother didn't in fact commit suicide, the parallelism didn't feel that real. The overall mistery was lousy and not really interesting either, with or without Sakurako

Quote:
Rushing to the bridge's railing, Kougami found the woman had disappeared -

I found this incredibly stupid because in that scene, Kougami is staring at the gloomy lady and then she's distraced BY A PIGEON. It doesn't even obstruct her view or anything, it just flies by her and she decided to turn to look at the rare and super interesting pigeon just long enough to lose sight of the gloomy lady. It felt so contrived I actually rolled my eyes.

I'd originally dropped the show on ep 3, but since Nick said good things about ep 4 I checked it out again and it was kind of okay, but this episode was a total drag (with the exception of the visuals that are indeed very beautiful). Dropping it for real this time
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
For me the less they focus on Sakurako and Shoutarou, the more boring this becomes. I actually like those characters and want to see more of them, not less. When Kougami and her teacher were swapping moral viewpoints, I felt like I'd suddenly dropped in to an argument between Moe and Souhei. One series with pretentious philosophistry is enough, thanks.

I know that's not a word, but it should be.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
^I thought of Perfect Insider too. Only I enjoyed the conversation more for some reason.

Overall I enjoyed the break from the main characters and the more contemplative tone. I'm hoping this show will continue to broaden the cast because that can only strengthen it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
I think the difference for me is that I feel like I'm supposed to know that Moe and Souhei are intellectual blowhards, whereas here it seemed like the writers expected me to be impressed by how "deep" they were being.
motormind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Despite the wonky ending, I really liked episode 6. I have been in Asahikawa some two years ago (since it also appears in Diamond Daydreams), and I walked over that bridge where most of the action takes place.

So it was a thrill to see that bridge in animated form again. I thought Sakurako's conclusion was a bit weird though. spoiler[Why the heck would you throw away the memento of a departed loved one? Even if that woman had found someone else, that other person was still a part of her life, and it's not like that ring takes up a lot of space. She could have saved it in a drawer, to sometimes take it out and reminisce. Moving on is a good idea, but that doesn't mean you have to throw away all of your past.]

Despite that, it was a fun ride for me personally. I wish Sakurako were a bit less pompous, but I don't think I would dislike her personally if she existed for real.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think the difference for me is that I feel like I'm supposed to know that Moe and Souhei are intellectual blowhards, whereas here it seemed like the writers expected me to be impressed by how "deep" they were being.

I think for me they appeared more natural. I expected a young girl who just went through a death to have those views, and I personally have the views of the teacher- I just thought his dialogue was stupid at a couple of points. But I believed fir the most part that these two were having this conversation.

@motormind, my husband carried around a memento mori for a few years that led him to severe depression because of the constant reminder. One of the major steps in his healing and moving on was his getting rid of it. Death affects everyone differently, and reminders of it can be cruel or comforting or both. But one never knows until one is facing it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
I have been in Asahikawa some two years ago (since it also appears in Diamond Daydreams), and I walked over that bridge where most of the action takes place.

I had the impression that the fountain with the hands at the beginning was a real sculpture, but I can't find any photos of it. Did it look familiar to you?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I actually liked this episode for the most part. Maybe the reason it wasn't a maid cafe had to do with Shoutarou's comment that it used to be an all-girls' school?

It's been a long time since I've seen the "It was raining that day too" cliche. Is her uncle hooked up to a mind-reading device? It didn't look like there was either means or ability to enter text into an interface.

I guess my biggest complaint about this series is that everyone's name starts with an S. Sakurako, Shitara, Shoutarou, Soutarou, Sawa, Sasaki...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I had trouble with the idea that that foot shape is so rare it could denote parentage (why, I have feet like that! Maybe I'm the mother!). I suppose it could be rare in Japan though. Even so, while foot shape is heritable, the genetics haven't been worked out yet. The only thing that's certain is that it's not a simple one gene, dominant/recessive trait. So it's possible that neither of the baby's parents had that foot shape (though we know one of them did, Sasaki shouldn't have assumed that).

But let's say it's a perfectly heritable dominant trait. Had Sasaki, who liked looking at feet, never seen Natsuko's feet over all the years he knew her? Presumably she did not have this rare trait, and it's hard to buy that he didn't know that.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode. Btw, shouldn't there have been more baby bones in the box than just the 8 toe bones? What happened to the rest of them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4